"Dolphins plan to let Thompson compete for a starting job against WR James McKnight" | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

"Dolphins plan to let Thompson compete for a starting job against WR James McKnight"

Gonk

Active Roster
Reaction score
Dolphins | More On Thompson - posted at KFFL (http://nfl.kffl.com)
March 7, 2003 21:17:36 PT John Clayton reports for ESPN.com free agent WR Derrius Thompson's (Redskins) three-year contract with the Miami Dolphins was worth $3.7 million. The Dolphins plan to let him compete for a starting job against WR James McKnight.

Does this mean that we're not going to go after any other starting-worthy recievers, ala Curtis Conway?

For the time being, yes that is what that means. However, if we don't draft a WR and Conway is still around after the draft (a good possibility) I wouldn't rule out a signing.

Remember after June we can cut J-Mac and get a pretty good savings out of it so if we sign someone else starter-worthy it'll probably be to compete with Derrius while we cut J-Mac. I personally just dont know if it'd be worth it to cut JM and sign Conway.

it's worth cutting McKnight to get Conway...

you have to believe that...

McKnight cannot possibly keep his starting job and he won't restructure...

If they plan on having McKnight compete with Thompson, does that mean that we don't plan on bringing Gadsden back now?

Gadsden is NEVER coming back..... NEVER... I wish he would

We take a million dollar cap hit if we cut Mcknight. If we cut him after Jane 1, we'll take a 500K cap hit this year and a 500K cap hit nex year. Being that were so tight with money, I dont see us letting him go so quickly.

Originally posted by iceblizzard69
If they plan on having McKnight compete with Thompson, does that mean that we don't plan on bringing Gadsden back now?

WannSpeil have been inferring that the door is still open for OG to come back, but I really think that the longer free agency goes on that door closes a little bit more every day !!! Marino1983

Originally posted by Surtain023
Gadsden is NEVER coming back..... NEVER... I wish he would

I think he may still come back, I think the offer of a one year min deal + incentives is still on the table. Hes not gonna get anything better than that from anyone else.

The thing about Gadsden is that he is desperate, and he isn't as good as he things, and he doesn't have the interest he thought he would have.

NFL | Gadsden Visits To Start? - from KFFL (http://nfl.kffl.com)
March 8, 2003 8:18:53 PT Todd Archer reports for the Palm Beach Post the Miami Dolphins talked to agent Michael Todd, who represents free agent WR Oronde Gadsden (Dolphins), on Friday. The talks were not "anything substantial." Gadsden could be in line to take some visits next week. One place COULD be Buffalo, who need a possession-type receiver opposite WR Eric Moulds. Tennessee, Baltimore and possibly Carolina COULD bring Gadsden in for a look.

It looks as he dislikes Miami now, I say let him leave if he wants to... he is not unable to be replaced.

If OG wants to leave, I say let him...

I don't see him getting big money to play anywhere, and teams are sure to remember that he chose to have surgery that he could have had done after the season, instead choosing to have it and get healthy for Free Agency...

Well Oronde, you're now healthy (relatively speaking)... Go shop your arthritic toes around the league, then come back to Miami with your tail between your legs... and sign the same deal you have already been offered...

But if OG came back...what would our WR core look like???

Chambers
OG
Thompson/McKnight
Thompson/McKnight
Baker
????

OG wont be back.. the Phins head office treated him like **** and so I dont blame him for dis'ing Miami...

Thompson is a Wild Cardd, will he make my phinishers 5 stars this year?? I think he might but from what I have seen and read he is a physichal receiver (a la OG) who breaks tackles. I agree with those who feel if Curtis Conway is still available after the draft, Miami should sign him and why not draft a WR. As for Mcknight I have never liked him and wish him well elsewhere. Robert Baker and Sam Simmons are also in the mix, let's see... let's take about 9 to 10 Wr's to camp and let the best ones come out. Only then Miami's WR corps will get better.

How did Miami treat him like ****, because they didnt want to pay him #1 reciever money that he was asking for when he got injured? The guy is a good 3rd reciever but he is nothing more, he is slow and old.

Back
Top Bottom