Dolphins-Redskins Superbowl XVII - 30 years ago today. | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins-Redskins Superbowl XVII - 30 years ago today.

I was 13 years old and I vividly remember how exciting that entire 82 playoff run was. I think we had like 15 interceptions in the four playoff games, including 5 apiece against Fouts and Todd. In the Super Bowl, I remember scoring quickly, then driving for what looked like another score when Woodley was blindsided and fumbled. That played seemed to give the Redskins life because we were dominating up to that point.

Years later, I heard Shula talking about not making the switch to Strock earlier. He said had Walker not returned the kickoff right before half, he was going to make the change to Strock in the second half. But after we got the lead back, he didn't think it was the right thing to do. Woodley was brutal the second half and never did recover.

That was such a special group. I remember a Sports Illustrated article on the Killer B's and it showed how all the different units hung out together. Showed the secondary eating dinner together and the linebackers hanging out by someone's truck drinking beers. Those guys were actually friends off the field and had a bond I don't think you'll ever see again in sports.

I miss those days.

That wasn't the play, it was earlier where he did recover a clear fumble but they gave it back to you.

To be fair Rex grossman made a SB and as great as Don was he never won a SB w/ a guy who is arguably the best QB of all time who he had for 12-13 years.

Yep, Woody Bennett fumbled, but they said the whistle blew. Was a bad call and I remember Walt Michaels being beside himself on the sideline.

I'm guessing there are still Jet fans mad about the field conditions. It rained that night before and the morning of the game and there were rumors the Dolphins left the field uncovered to take away the Jets supposed speed advantage. I heard a New York radio host interviewing Shula a few years ago and he kept bringing this up. Shula was getting pretty steamed. The guy was a moron and wouldn't let it drop and wasted what should have been a good interview.

Yep, Woody Bennett fumbled, but they said the whistle blew. Was a bad call and I remember Walt Michaels being beside himself on the sideline.

I'm guessing there are still Jet fans mad about the field conditions. It rained that night before and the morning of the game and there were rumors the Dolphins left the field uncovered to take away the Jets supposed speed advantage. I heard a New York radio host interviewing Shula a few years ago and he kept bringing this up. Shula was getting pretty steamed. The guy was a moron and wouldn't let it drop and wasted what should have been a good interview.

Many jet fans still comaplain about the field but you beat us twice in the reg season on good fields and both teams played ont he same field. You guys adapted better. I do think it hurt us and it was a little shady what Shula did BUT Miami earned the win.

Yeah we definitely had our chances. That is what made the game so frustrating. Also, I somehow thought Walker's kickoff TD return was at the start of the game....maybe I had this confused with Ted Ginn running back an opening kick in some game. :lol: Your mind plays tricks on you over the years, but I will never forget how Bokamper got the sure pick and TD slapped out of his hands by Theismann. Thanks to the poster for posting the Theismann-Bokamper play. Then a few years later Dan Marino and the Phins played San Fran in the Superbowl and we got beat again :( ...and we haven't been back to the SB since. I just hope we can get back soon and win it. The Dolphins have had 5 trips to the SB....2 wins back to back, and three losses....to the Cowboys, Redskins and Niners. Some teams have NEVER played in a SB so you have to take the good with the bad.
True. My brother's a Viking fan and he's team got pounded every time they got to the super bowl. I kind of took for granted those early super bowl wins, but now I'm knocking on 50 and I'm ready for more!

Last edited by a moderator:
I was 13 years old and I vividly remember how exciting that entire 82 playoff run was. I think we had like 15 interceptions in the four playoff games, including 5 apiece against Fouts and Todd. In the Super Bowl, I remember scoring quickly, then driving for what looked like another score when Woodley was blindsided and fumbled. That played seemed to give the Redskins life because we were dominating up to that point.

Years later, I heard Shula talking about not making the switch to Strock earlier. He said had Walker not returned the kickoff right before half, he was going to make the change to Strock in the second half. But after we got the lead back, he didn't think it was the right thing to do. Woodley was brutal the second half and never did recover.

That was such a special group. I remember a Sports Illustrated article on the Killer B's and it showed how all the different units hung out together. Showed the secondary eating dinner together and the linebackers hanging out by someone's truck drinking beers. Those guys were actually friends off the field and had a bond I don't think you'll ever see again in sports.

I miss those days.
Yeah, I guess it's hard to pull a qb when your team has the lead at half. Plus, Woodley had seemed to turn a corner a little bit in the playoffs and started pretty well in the Super Bowl. But, had Shula made the switch we likely win the game.

I remember this game vividly, as I was in High School at the time and when I came home from school my older Brother, who was a Skins fan, took my stuffed Dolphins I had got from Disney and hung them over the banister of our deck with a big sign that read "FISH FRY IN ANAHEIM!". I was so pissed. Everyone else in my family were also Redskins fans so I was out on an island watching this game. I had all of my Miami Dolphin paraphernalia with me in my chair and when Miami scored I would scream and yell and when the Redskins scored they would all point and yell at me. When Riggins broke that long TD, I was almost in tears. I still get reminded of that game to this day.

The cool thing though was that when Fulton Walker returned that kickoff for a TD, everyone was yelling and cheering for him to get it as he was from our hometown.

Many jet fans still comaplain about the field but you beat us twice in the reg season on good fields and both teams played ont he same field. You guys adapted better. I do think it hurt us and it was a little shady what Shula did BUT Miami earned the win.
Hey - at least we didn't turn the sprinklers on in the MIDDLE of the game like we did to Seattle this year - LOL. How did Richard Todd ever throw that ill-fated pick to Duhe? That was the case cracker...

This was my first Super Bowl I went to 2 in my lifetime XVII and XIX. I was 12 years old and my Dad took me to the Rose Bowl on January 30, 1983 for SUPER BOWL XVII. I cried like a baby when we loss 27-17. **** 30 years, I still have my ticket stub. It's locked up in my safe. I am going to pass it down to my son when I die.

Hey - at least we didn't turn the sprinklers on in the MIDDLE of the game like we did to Seattle this year - LOL. How did Richard Todd ever throw that ill-fated pick to Duhe? That was the case cracker...

Todd played in 4 postseason games in his career, he threw 12 INTs

Back
Top Bottom