Dolphins resign Kendall Lamm | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins resign Kendall Lamm

Fever can you please give me your thoughts on the OT from Yale - Kiran Amegadjie? We could likely land him after a trade down or at 55 and from what I've read he could play G but it really a good LT. I agree that we MUST be forward thinking about replacing Armstead, and giving a rookie a year to learn (while possibly playing G) is solid thinking.
He's thought to be an elite physicist specimen, but having played at Yale, he's a guy who has played at a VERY low level of ball.
There is no way this guy has encountered real competition at any time during his career, so despite being smart (good Lord... Yale) and having elite traits, we have no idea how he'll fare once he arrives on a team.
He could be great... or suck. Mims is a slam dunk compared to the risk of Amegadjie.

That said... if we pass on a 1st round lineman, he may be a second round target alongside players like Rosengarten or the other Notre Dame lineman.

It could work... but expecting a player like this to be ready right away? Wow... that's a lot.

Yeah. That's who I think you would be looking at as available tackles at pick 21. Morgan, Guyton, Suamataia, and possibly Barton.
That doesn't scare me... in a normal year, all of those guys would be considered slam dunk first rounders... the OL group is impossibly deep this year, and a lot of folks are sleeping on that when they say... "but we probably wont get a top three guy".
Hell... the 6th or 7th guy is probably a safer bet than the first or second ranked DT or most of the DBs.
This is a deep, deep group of Offensive Linemen... but it may not hold until #55, so passing on them brings great risk.

Unfortunately, I agree. That’s why I wouldn’t go DT in the first round despite it being our biggest need. Murphy and Newton could be good, but I don’t like betting on small-ish DTs with a first round pick.

I like the Orhorhoru kid from Clemson as a second round target. He’s got to add some weight but otherwise has all the measurables, very athletic, plays with good leverage, and is supposedly a good worker. Just a little raw. Very similar profile to Justin Madubuike when Madubuike was coming out.
There's a bunch of similarly rated DL in this years draft, and the 2nd-3rd round guys are probably just as good of prospects as the 1st rounders.
Given what we've just gone through with CW and the inflated price of DTs compared to their value... investing a #1 on a DT... and then having to dramatically overpay when he comes up on a second contract... I'm not going to do it. I'm going to instead take an Orhorhoru or a Jenkins.... maybe a Fiske, Hall, or a Dorlus.

There’s no way one of the top three tackles makes it to Miami’s pick at 21. There are too many teams in front of Miami who are in need of tackles. There’s a good chance that six tackles will be taken before pick #21.
I predict 4 QB, 2 pass rushers and 4 WR will be selected in the top 21. So, respectfully I mildly disagree. Won’t matter, as Weaver is upwardly mobile, and will want MORE defensive help… on his way to. HC gig in 2025. Sorry, Not only am I curmudgeonly, I’m pragmatic. Lately, this franchise has been a launching station for career moves.

I predict 4 QB, 2 pass rushers and 4 WR will be selected in the top 21. So, respectfully I mildly disagree. Won’t matter, as Weaver is upwardly mobile, and will want MORE defensive help… on his way to. HC gig in 2025. Sorry, Not only am I curmudgeonly, I’m pragmatic. Lately, this franchise has been a launching station for career moves.
I seriously doubt Weaver gets a HC gig after 1 year as a DC.

Most teams, there are exceptions, want an offensive minded HC these days.

He doesn't even seem like a good fit for Miami's scheme, and I highly doubt Miami uses a first round pick on an interior lineman who has no possibility of ever playing tackle.
Completely disagree with your first point and I question what makes you think that? He's quivk enough for a zone blocking scheme.

There's a bunch of similarly rated DL in this years draft, and the 2nd-3rd round guys are probably just as good of prospects as the 1st rounders.
Given what we've just gone through with CW and the inflated price of DTs compared to their value... investing a #1 on a DT... and then having to dramatically overpay when he comes up on a second contract... I'm not going to do it. I'm going to instead take an Orhorhoru or a Jenkins.... maybe a Fiske, Hall, or a Dorlus.
As we get closer to the draft it becomes more evident that our top 3 priorities should be
1. OT (who can possibly play inside for a year)
2. Edge
3. DT

That doesn't scare me... in a normal year, all of those guys would be considered slam dunk first rounders... the OL group is impossibly deep this year, and a lot of folks are sleeping on that when they say... "but we probably wont get a top three guy".
Hell... the 6th or 7th guy is probably a safer bet than the first or second ranked DT or most of the DBs.
This is a deep, deep group of Offensive Linemen... but it may not hold until #55, so passing on them brings great risk.
Exactly and an excellent observation.

As we get closer to the draft it becomes more evident that our top 3 priorities should be
1. OT (who can possibly play inside for a year)
2. Edge
3. DT
WR too, I would even put that ahead of DT. Looks like Grier is trying to tackle DL with quantity of bodies/rotation rather than just "replace" Wilkins. With Tyreek only known to be on board for another 2 years and Waddle heading into his 5th year option year we need another young stud at the position. That's not to mention what a quality WR3 could do for us now with both Reek/Waddle in the fold. When they were beat up/injured down the stretch our offense shrunk up big time. Look what that Jackson Smith Nigba or whatever is name is out in Seattle did for them last year. Provided that 3rd option behind Lockett and DK Metcalf and eventually superseded Lockett. We could really use something similar here (assuming we don't sign a FA like OBJ).

I don't think edge is going to be seen as much of a need as some think. While I agree you can never have too many pass rushers, I think Shaq Barret made the need a nice to have if sombody drops. While ideally our 3rd edge, he should fill in nicely while Chubb and Phillips heal up and take their spots back.

If I were GM (and I freely admit I shouldn't be) I don't think I would overthink this draft. We need help in both inside and outside the offensive line. This draft is deep in offensive line.

I'm a 'buy it cheap and stack it deep' type guy. I'd prefer to go some form of OT and G/C with our first two picks and have good young talent for 4+ years.

I would love a trade down the first is possible. If I could eck out an extra 3rd rounder I would go DT but I think the defense is on hold this year draft wise. I would target fixing the D next year and bolster the offensive line this year.

WR too, I would even put that ahead of DT. Looks like Grier is trying to tackle DL with quantity of bodies/rotation rather than just "replace" Wilkins. With Tyreek only known to be on board for another 2 years and Waddle heading into his 5th year option year we need another young stud at the position. That's not to mention what a quality WR3 could do for us now with both Reek/Waddle in the fold. When they were beat up/injured down the stretch our offense shrunk up big time. Look what that Jackson Smith Nigba or whatever is name is out in Seattle did for them last year. Provided that 3rd option behind Lockett and DK Metcalf and eventually superseded Lockett. We could really use something similar here (assuming we don't sign a FA like OBJ).
I still think that signing a vet is the cheapest course in the long run. Sign a guy for a year, maybe two... then let him walk. We'd get a guy who was ready immediately and we'd know exactly what we were getting.

Now... next year... when Hill is on his last year with us... I'm looking WR in the first round.

I don't doubt the need, what I doubt is the immediacy.

I won't scream if they go WR, because I do see the need... I just think we'd be wasting a year... and maybe Jonnu Smith, as TE would remain a very low priority in our offense if we draft a WR in round 1.

There are a few guys that I like who are viable third day targets, however... both Cornelius Johnson and Luke McCaffrey have size and some speed. If either fall into the 5th round, I'm gonna take a stab there. There are others.

Well, at this point it isn't a must if a guy we want isn't there.

I would rather not draft one than draft the wrong one out of desperation.
Maybe if a surprise slides to us the way Tunsil did we might be tempted. I do think this really steers us towards a DT or Edge rusher though.
I expect to sign WR Boyd to quench the WR at #21 overall talk.

Fever usually always makes sense. Especially when considering a longer term vision of consistent success. He also understands the Cap and doesn’t try to play Madden.
Apparently though, Grier does play Madden.... LOL

not drafting OL with our top pick would be a big mistake.....there's just no other way to say it. IOL is our weakest spot and nothing we do will matter unless we fix the OL
I'd say if the right OT slides, the guy that can replace Armstead next year that would be a great pickup. When Armstead gets hurt this year perhaps the rookie could step in for good at LT1

Back
Top Bottom