Dolphins resign Kendall Lamm | Page 16 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins resign Kendall Lamm

Think about it. We have signed all these Defensive tackles because this year's draft class is strong one?
We still might take one... but the first round? I'm just not seeing a guy with enough of an upside at 21.

I like D. Robinson, as I've mentioned. One of the Edges might make sense if they dropped into maybe... early second round?
I'd still rather take a chance later in the draft. I think Dorlus could be a very nice fit for us.

I STRONGLY suspect some of the better DTs will slide into the third... and depending on trades, that could work.

We still might take one... but the first round? I'm just not seeing a guy with enough of an upside at 21.

I like D. Robinson, as I've mentioned. One of the Edges might make sense if they dropped into maybe... early second round?
I'd still rather take a chance later in the draft. I think Dorlus could be a very nice fit for us.

I STRONGLY suspect some of the better DTs will slide into the third... and depending on trades, that could work.
I agree

Dt and edge doesn't seem to be be stellar this draft as far as 1st round value.
I don't have all the answers either I just think counting on prospects to come in and solidify an OL just because you take them in rounds 1 or 2 is dicey. I refer you to current players with uni #'s 73 and 74, both of whom I've wanted to drop out of a helicopter at many points during their first 3 years in the league. dept, the coaches, the system or what but the OL just seems to be a position we do not draft or develop well at all, with the exception of Robert Hunt. I think part of it is positions like WR, DE, DT, RB etc are easier to adjust to and where you can make contributions quicker as opposed to the OL, where if you miss a block, miss a stunt or screw up you can really cause damage. If we had a dime for all the times Each or AJ got beaten or royally f&*ked up we'd all be rich.

A rookie WR can be brought in and asked to run patterns he knows and can excel immediately. An edge guy can be told, go get the passer, that's your only job. I'm hoping with the better coaching of Butch Barry the long learning curves for young OL will be shortened
Check out draft forum. Great content .

My point has been the same in every post, no matter how you parse it. Namely, this year's group of DTs, DEs, and Edges is not considered to be a strong group. This has been said, over and over by most analysts... instead, this year's group of QBs, WRs, and Offensive Linemen are considered to be notable...

Last year, the Draft had Will Anderson as the top Edge.
Tyree Wilson as the top DE.
Jalen Carte
r as the top DT.

All of them were (and are) considered to be better prospects than ANY thing available this year.

Van Ness, McDonald... all better...

So, teams with a serious need squint really hard and pretend this year's group... hopefully... has a real prospect in it.

Murphy is barely over 6 feet tall, and he's the best of a weak lot. Shorter arms too... he'll have to be ELITE to make up for his height and length issues.

Sweat is the only one with requisite size, and he's overweight and maybe unmotivated... tough call in round one.

Latu has medical red flags.

Newton is a bit taller, but he too has length issues and is another stocky, maxed out looking player.

I like D. Robinson more than most, but he's a DE type and I'm unsure if we'll employ this hybrid type of player in our defense.

Fortunately... what this class lacks in elite prospects, it more than makes up in depth. There are a LOT of maybes in this group... and draft theory tells us to focus on QB, OT, Edge, CB, and WR anyway... to take one of these flawed Defensive front 6 players when the other positions are LOADED... that's just dumb... like selecting Iggy in a weak CB year.
Not parsing anything. I admire you refusal to admit that Murphy and Newton are higher rated DT's than every other DT in this class by as much as 15-30 picks, despite the information that's been presented But it isn't working. Even Zeurlein, your bible, has Murphy rated as the 15th best prospect in the ENTIRE draft. You're going through all kinds of mental gymnastics to say the top two DTs aren't that higher rated than the other guys, then they're not elite, then you spin it to "not that explosive" when most of the reports from actual draft analysts say the opposite. Your perception of the top two DTs in this class does not match what the experts are saying.

You've kinda made my point for me, if the WR and OL prospects are so deep and the DT class isn't and you need a DT, and we do, why not take a better DT earlier and get players from the loaded WR and OL prospect groups later in the draft?

Taking a higher rated DT (or any position of need) over a lower rated player isn't dumb. it's what good GMs do. You want to cling to this fantasy that there isn't a big difference in how teams see pass rushing DTs vs the guys you think are just as good in the second round, please do. It might a little tougher to look at what other people are saying about Murphy and Newton, but you do you.

Your Iggy analogy is as flawed as most of your analysis on this subject because his grade was never anywhere near the first round. Probably closer to the third round. He was a forced pick by Brian Flores who went to the Auburn pro day and got a woody for the wrong guy. Should have made a better effort to draft Derrick Brown.

A few more points- there are some pretty good DL in this draft, especially in the top 32. Last year's class wasn't much better, if at all. Tyree Wilson was a reach by the Raiders and not a guy who everybody liked last year. He was a late riser and was taken by a team that often overdrafts players. And Lucas van Ness and Will McDonald were rated higher than the DE/Edge guys in this class? Again, shocker, you're wrong. McDonald had a second/third round grade until late in the draft process. Lots of people thought the Jets reached for him. I think van Ness also had a low first/ early second round grade.

Latu has medical red flags? wow, You know who else did, Jaelen Phillips. That's worked out pretty well. Please Lord, make Latu available at pick 21. He's another guy I'd turn the card in for in a second. He'd provide instant impact as a pass rusher.

We have Dallas Turner, Jared Verse, Murphy, Newton, Chop Robinson, your guy Robinson from Mizzou in this draft and they represent about the same number of quality DL as last year's first round. Jalen Carter is bigger and better than the 2 first round DTs this year but there's more pass rush option to choose from in this draft.

And finally, not every DT has to be 340 lbs to make an impact or be worth a first round pick, no matter how many times you write it or say that mantra to yourself, it isn't true. And Murphy's arms are 1/4" shorter than Aaron Donald's but maybe you can find something Murphy did wrong in middle school to keep this discussion going.

No really knows if edge rusher or wr.. or o line with 1st pick or 2nd is correct choice. It just from what I ve seen. Edge and dt doesn't move needle in first round.
ahhh, OK. Do the names Jaelen Phillips and Christian Wilkins ring a bell? DL is just as important as OL, Pass rushers have always moved the needle in the first round. I feel like everybody has always understood the importance of sacking the QB, hitting the QB, affecting the passing game by hurrying the quarterback etc. Maybe not.

And regarding your idea that the volume of released backups and has been and never been DTs we've signed recently negate the need to draft a DT with pass rush ability and the chance to be a real starter at DT, I'm going to disagree

ahhh, OK. Do the names Jaelen Phillips and Christian Wilkins ring a bell? DL is just as important as OL, Pass rushers have always moved the needle in the first round. I feel like everybody has always understood the importance of sacking the QB, hitting the QB, affecting the passing game by hurrying the quarterback etc. Maybe not.

And regarding your idea that the volume of released backups and has been and never been DTs we've signed recently negate the need to draft a DT with pass rush ability and the chance to be a real starter at DT, I'm going to disagree
Easy brother. I respect your thoughts on topic. I just don't agree .. all good

I personally wouldn't draft dt in first round this draft. 2nd round maybe.

If none of those are there at 21 what's your next choice?
I'm not sure who will be there so here's the guys I would not trade down for if they are there, excluding all the edge guys
Fautanu
Murphy
Newton
probably Barton bc I think Dallas and GB could have interest and I'd rather have him than a lesser OL choice in round 2 if I can't get my edge guys or a superior defensive player,
Toying with putting Cooper DeJean on the list because our secondary still has issues imo and could use a versatile playmaker.

Apologize for the pass rusher hostility, I am a big fan of having a lot of pass rushers at all times

I'm not sure who will be there so here's the guys I would not trade down for if they are there, excluding all the edge guys
Fautanu
Murphy
Newton
probably Barton bc I think Dallas and GB could have interest and I'd rather have him than a lesser OL choice in round 2 if I can't get my edge guys or a superior defensive player,
Toying with putting Cooper DeJean on the list because our secondary still has issues imo and could use a versatile playmaker.

Apologize for the pass rusher hostility, I am a big fan of having a lot of pass rushers at all times
All good brother. I understand totally. If we took edge at 21 and o line at 55 I wouldn't lose it. đź‘Ť

Not parsing anything. I admire you refusal to admit that Murphy and Newton are higher rated DT's than every other DT in this class by as much as 15-30 picks, despite the information that's been presented But it isn't working. Even Zeurlein, your bible, has Murphy rated as the 15th best prospect in the ENTIRE draft. You're going through all kinds of mental gymnastics to say the top two DTs aren't that higher rated than the other guys, then they're not elite, then you spin it to "not that explosive" when most of the reports from actual draft analysts say the opposite. Your perception of the top two DTs in this class does not match what the experts are saying.

You've kinda made my point for me, if the WR and OL prospects are so deep and the DT class isn't and you need a DT, and we do, why not take a better DT earlier and get players from the loaded WR and OL prospect groups later in the draft?

Taking a higher rated DT (or any position of need) over a lower rated player isn't dumb. it's what good GMs do. You want to cling to this fantasy that there isn't a big difference in how teams see pass rushing DTs vs the guys you think are just as good in the second round, please do. It might a little tougher to look at what other people are saying about Murphy and Newton, but you do you.

Your Iggy analogy is as flawed as most of your analysis on this subject because his grade was never anywhere near the first round. Probably closer to the third round. He was a forced pick by Brian Flores who went to the Auburn pro day and got a woody for the wrong guy. Should have made a better effort to draft Derrick Brown.

A few more points- there are some pretty good DL in this draft, especially in the top 32. Last year's class wasn't much better, if at all. Tyree Wilson was a reach by the Raiders and not a guy who everybody liked last year. He was a late riser and was taken by a team that often overdrafts players. And Lucas van Ness and Will McDonald were rated higher than the DE/Edge guys in this class? Again, shocker, you're wrong. McDonald had a second/third round grade until late in the draft process. Lots of people thought the Jets reached for him. I think van Ness also had a low first/ early second round grade.

Latu has medical red flags? wow, You know who else did, Jaelen Phillips. That's worked out pretty well. Please Lord, make Latu available at pick 21. He's another guy I'd turn the card in for in a second. He'd provide instant impact as a pass rusher.

We have Dallas Turner, Jared Verse, Murphy, Newton, Chop Robinson, your guy Robinson from Mizzou in this draft and they represent about the same number of quality DL as last year's first round. Jalen Carter is bigger and better than the 2 first round DTs this year but there's more pass rush option to choose from in this draft.

And finally, not every DT has to be 340 lbs to make an impact or be worth a first round pick, no matter how many times you write it or say that mantra to yourself, it isn't true. And Murphy's arms are 1/4" shorter than Aaron Donald's but maybe you can find something Murphy did wrong in middle school to keep this discussion going.
LOL...

Stopped reading halfway thru....

Its a hot topic for sure. It will be something if we are all wrong if we don't pick o line ..o line or edge. 🤯

Back
Top Bottom