Dolphins resign Kendall Lamm | Page 14 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins resign Kendall Lamm

You don't see it but apparently you do see LT's at 21 who can play guard for a year? It's amazing what people do and don't see.

Wilkins is 311lbs, Murphy is 308lbs so there goes your argument. Both are quick twitch players and both disruptive against the run and passing games, traits we're lacking right now with the JAGs Grier has brought in. Some of them have size but none of them are going to be a force getting after the QB.
LOL...

None of this year's crop are truly elite and their ratings reflect this... sure, some team is going to foolishly take them in the middle of the first round and then watch as guys from lower down do just as much damage.

I think Zierlein's ratings strongly reflect this view... there are a cluster of guys with very similar ratings... face it, it's a bad year for elite, but a good year for pretty good.

Screenshot_20240406-133533_Samsung Internet.jpg

Here's what I'm talking about... none of these guys were assigned a stellar rank... Hell, the fat boy is #2 here.

This isn't a year with high grades...

The SMART play is round 2, maybe even round 3. Not one of these guys is CW.

CW was rated at 6.7.

LOL...

None of this year's crop are truly elite and their ratings reflect this... sure, some team is going to foolishly take them in the middle of the first round and then watch as guys from lower down do just as much damage.

I think Zierlein's ratings strongly reflect this view... there are a cluster of guys with very similar ratings... face it, it's a bad year for elite, but a good year for pretty good.
LOL, indeed. You're working off some faulty info you keep coming back to. For every Lance Zeurlein there are three or four evaluations saying there are 2 DTs that have a first round grade and a bunch of other guys who don't have a complete game.

Again you ignore the 20-40 spot disparity thrown out by pretty good talent evaluators. The difference between Murphy and Newton is not minimal and the question is really are we better with a two way DT like Murphy or a LT from Duke who we want to convert to guard?

LOL...

PFF ranks Newton as the 8th overall prospect. Murphy is the 13th overall prospect. Zierlein's ranking and breakdowns are always interesting but are not the end all be all. Neither is PFF for that matter. Just shows there is no consensus on how Newton and Murphy should be considered as prospects.

PFF ranks prospects on how they've done thus far... it's their thing.
I'd rather look at how a player is projected to play in a higher league... and that's why my rating (and NFL.com's rating) is lower on the DTs this year. They lack elite size and elite burst... and none of them are thought to be bulletproof.

Again... with the depth of the pool, taking a good, but less than elite prospect... is well... wasteful at best.

I was high on Dt Fiske but not at 55. He has high motor and is athletic. His short arms are worrisome though. Longer armed O line getting into his chest could be issue.

At the end of the day I see it this way....what would make our whole team better/help us win more games?.........a DT to try to replace Wilkins with or a better OL?.......I'd say a better OL and it's not even close......give Tua some time and our RB's some room to run and our offense can be deadly

At the end of the day I see it this way....what would make our whole team better/help us win more games?.........a DT to try to replace Wilkins with or a better OL?.......I'd say a better OL and it's not even close......give Tua some time and our RB's some room to run and our offense can be deadly
I agree.

I'd rather look at how a player is projected to play in a higher league... and that's why my rating (and NFL.com's rating) is lower on the DTs this year. They lack elite size and elite burst... and none of them are thought to be bulletproof.

Again... with the depth of the pool, taking a good, but less than elite prospect... is well... wasteful at best.
PFF ranks the college player on their big board with how they project for the NFL. The same as any other media draft site.

View attachment 168454

Here's what I'm talking about... none of these guys were assigned a stellar rank... Hell, the fat boy is #2 here.

This isn't a year with high grades...

The SMART play is round 2, maybe even round 3. Not one of these guys is CW.

CW was rated at 6.7.
Zierlein has Murphy as the 15th overall prospect. Newton as 34th, with Sweat and Robinson in between .

I have Newton as my #1 DT with Murphy right there at 1b. And for Miami, I have Darius Robinson as the next DT with guys like Chop Robinson or any other DT at least a tier below.

I have Newton as my #1 DT with Murphy right there at 1b. And for Miami, I have Darius Robinson as the next DT with guys like Chop Robinson or any other DT at least a tier below.
When I watched 2023 Newton, he looked reminiscent of 2018 Wilkins at Clemson.

Who is bulletproof as a prospect? are your ratings based on the positions you want to draft? I'm not tied to taking a DT at all I just think this idea of justifying not taking one in the first round with bad information isn't a good practice.

You say there aren't tackles with elite size in this class. Who cares? We have size at DT, we just don't have much explosiveness or two way talent. I showed you Murphy is 3 pounds lighter than Christian Wilkins. Now you move the goal posts and say they're not elite DTs. Forgive me if I don't take you at your word on this. You seem to be all over the place with your argument. Is it not possible that Murphy would have a higher ranking if there weren't 4-5 QBs, 3-4 WRS ahead of him? Even with all the QBs at the top some evaluators have him as a top 10 prospect.
To say Murphy and Newton don't have elite burst isn't true at all, it's what separates them from everybody else at the position.

You are completely and conveniently ignoring some facts about why Newton and Murphy are ranked MUCH higher than the second tier by most evaluators not named Lance or you. They rush the passer at a higher level. I like Michael Hall Jr but not in comparison to Murphy. Here are the numbers from last year:

Murphy / Hall
Snaps 438 / 413
Sacks 6 / 2
Hurries 36 / 22
Overall grade 91.5 / 77.2

Did you label Aaron Donald as elite? What was your draft ranking on him? He also wasn't big and was picked in the middle of the first round. I'm not saying Murphy or Newton are Donald but he proved that you don't have to be 6'5" 333 to be an impactful and pocket crushing DT.

Take the best player. Don't get locked into the idea that a guard is the solution to all of our problems.

Back
Top Bottom