Dolphins resign Kendall Lamm | Page 15 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins resign Kendall Lamm

At the end of the day I see it this way....what would make our whole team better/help us win more games?.........a DT to try to replace Wilkins with or a better OL?.......I'd say a better OL and it's not even close......give Tua some time and our RB's some room to run and our offense can be deadly
Is this turning into the football equivalent of a bad political discussion where the two sides arguing can never get out of their partisan heads?

I'll ask the question again, one that fans in here can't and/or won't answer. What's the plan through the draft to make the OL better? Give me names and realistic draft positions where we can get these players. I think we can all agree that after too many recent years of barren drafts where the players we draft give us little or nothing in the early years it is time to change that and draft better players who can come in and contribute immediately.

You guys act like it was a crappy OL the whole year and the biggest problem that caused the collapse. You don't even seem willing to entertain the idea that this team has other needs or things that need to be addressed. Does anybody remember the Olividatti years where we wasted Marino bc our defense couldn't get off the field because our DL sucked, couldn't stop the run or rush the passer?

We have a better OL coach and some options to man the IOL positions. Teams don't have Day 1 and Day 2 picks all throughout their OL. Do I wish Miami got one more OL through free agency, yes. But's its not too late. I don't want to look at another clueless rookie who struggles for years (Hi, Liam) after being over-drafted. You shouldn't either, we pass on too many better players with that philosophy.

A veteran guard, imo, is the best way to make this line better. Its not JPJ or Mims or Guyton or even JC Latham, whose best position is RT. We have two valuable picks in this draft and they need to go towards players who can make an impact this year. Not reaches or converts to other positions on the OL.

Is this turning into the football equivalent of a bad political discussion where the two sides arguing can never get out of their partisan heads?

I'll ask the question again, one that fans in here can't and/or won't answer. What's the plan through the draft to make the OL better? Give me names and realistic draft positions where we can get these players. I think we can all agree that after too many recent years of barren drafts where the players we draft give us little or nothing in the early years it is time to change that and draft better players who can come in and contribute immediately.

You guys act like it was a crappy OL the whole year and the biggest problem that caused the collapse. You don't even seem willing to entertain the idea that this team has other needs or things that need to be addressed. Does anybody remember the Olividatti years where we wasted Marino bc our defense couldn't get off the field because our DL sucked, couldn't stop the run or rush the passer?

We have a better OL coach and some options to man the IOL positions. Teams don't have Day 1 and Day 2 picks all throughout their OL. Do I wish Miami got one more OL through free agency, yes. But's its not too late. I don't want to look at another clueless rookie who struggles for years (Hi, Liam) after being over-drafted. You shouldn't either, we pass on too many better players with that philosophy.

A veteran guard, imo, is the best way to make this line better. Its not JPJ or Mims or Guyton or even JC Latham, whose best position is RT. We have two valuable picks in this draft and they need to go towards players who can make an impact this year. Not reaches or converts to other positions on the OL.
well, the two OL guys I'm hoping fall to us are Fautanu or Barton. Either one should be an instant starter for us. I'm open to a WR like brian Thomas. Not sure what position you want us to draft but those are the 3 players I'm looking at when we're OTC at 21.

Cooper Beebe is another favorite in the 2nd round round.we did a lot for the defense in free agency and now I think we should go offense in the draft

My thoughts are it wasn't bad o line last year until we had injuries which compromised our offense in general. Just say we do draft o line early 1st or 2nd pick and solidifies o line. Maybe it improves our running game as well as passing game so we don't have to rely on defense as much. Its complicated and I most certainly don't have all the answers.

Whoever is there at 21 defensive player or offensive. With either of those picks i believe will be o line.

well, the two OL guys I'm hoping fall to us are Fautanu or Barton. Either one should be an instant starter for us. I'm open to a WR like brian Thomas. Not sure what position you want us to draft but those are the 3 players I'm looking at when we're OTC at 21.

Cooper Beebe is another favorite in the 2nd round round.we did a lot for the defense in free agency and now I think we should go offense in the draft
Love Fautanu and would take him over almost anybody but I don't think he'll be there. Too much momentum for Troy.
I like Graham Barton but not over the top two DT's, Brian Thomas and any of the top edge guys like Verse who could be there.
Barton, with a trade down would be great but I'm not sure he's an instant starter.

I like Christian Haynes over Beebe in round 2 as I think he moves better but I think round 2 is going to have some really interesting players at LB, S and WR and even DT if we don't get that position in round1.

My thoughts are it wasn't bad o line last year until we had injuries which compromised our offense in general. Just say we do draft o line early 1st or 2nd pick and solidifies o line. Maybe it improves our running game as well as passing game so we don't have to rely on defense as much. Its complicated and I most certainly don't have all the answers.
I don't have all the answers either I just think counting on prospects to come in and solidify an OL just because you take them in rounds 1 or 2 is dicey. I refer you to current players with uni #'s 73 and 74, both of whom I've wanted to drop out of a helicopter at many points during their first 3 years in the league. I don't know if it was the scouting dept, the coaches, the system or what but the OL just seems to be a position we do not draft or develop well at all, with the exception of Robert Hunt. I think part of it is positions like WR, DE, DT, RB etc are easier to adjust to and where you can make contributions quicker as opposed to the OL, where if you miss a block, miss a stunt or screw up you can really cause damage. If we had a dime for all the times Each or AJ got beaten or royally f&*ked up we'd all be rich.

A rookie WR can be brought in and asked to run patterns he knows and can excel immediately. An edge guy can be told, go get the passer, that's your only job. I'm hoping with the better coaching of Butch Barry the long learning curves for young OL will be shortened

Dt and edge doesn't seem to be be stellar this draft as far as 1st round value.
why? There's not many things more important in the NFL than getting after quarterbacks and last time I checked edge players and DTs (not the ones we currently have) do that. If a taking a DL who has a higherranking than a player at another position isn't that the definition of getting value?

Who is bulletproof as a prospect? are your ratings based on the positions you want to draft? I'm not tied to taking a DT at all I just think this idea of justifying not taking one in the first round with bad information isn't a good practice.

You say there aren't tackles with elite size in this class. Who cares? We have size at DT, we just don't have much explosiveness or two way talent. I showed you Murphy is 3 pounds lighter than Christian Wilkins. Now you move the goal posts and say they're not elite DTs. Forgive me if I don't take you at your word on this. You seem to be all over the place with your argument. Is it not possible that Murphy would have a higher ranking if there weren't 4-5 QBs, 3-4 WRS ahead of him? Even with all the QBs at the top some evaluators have him as a top 10 prospect.
To say Murphy and Newton don't have elite burst isn't true at all, it's what separates them from everybody else at the position.

You are completely and conveniently ignoring some facts about why Newton and Murphy are ranked MUCH higher than the second tier by most evaluators not named Lance or you. They rush the passer at a higher level. I like Michael Hall Jr but not in comparison to Murphy. Here are the numbers from last year:

Murphy / Hall
Snaps 438 / 413
Sacks 6 / 2
Hurries 36 / 22
Overall grade 91.5 / 77.2

Did you label Aaron Donald as elite? What was your draft ranking on him? He also wasn't big and was picked in the middle of the first round. I'm not saying Murphy or Newton are Donald but he proved that you don't have to be 6'5" 333 to be an impactful and pocket crushing DT.

Take the best player. Don't get locked into the idea that a guard is the solution to all of our problems.
My point has been the same in every post, no matter how you parse it. Namely, this year's group of DTs, DEs, and Edges is not considered to be a strong group. This has been said, over and over by most analysts... instead, this year's group of QBs, WRs, and Offensive Linemen are considered to be notable...

Last year, the Draft had Will Anderson as the top Edge.
Tyree Wilson as the top DE.
Jalen Carter as the top DT.

All of them were (and are) considered to be better prospects than ANY thing available this year.

Van Ness, McDonald... all better...

So, teams with a serious need squint really hard and pretend this year's group... hopefully... has a real prospect in it.

Murphy is barely over 6 feet tall, and he's the best of a weak lot. Shorter arms too... he'll have to be ELITE to make up for his height and length issues.

Sweat is the only one with requisite size, and he's overweight and maybe unmotivated... tough call in round one.

Latu has medical red flags.

Newton is a bit taller, but he too has length issues and is another stocky, maxed out looking player.

I like D. Robinson more than most, but he's a DE type and I'm unsure if we'll employ this hybrid type of player in our defense.

Fortunately... what this class lacks in elite prospects, it more than makes up in depth. There are a LOT of maybes in this group... and draft theory tells us to focus on QB, OT, Edge, CB, and WR anyway... to take one of these flawed Defensive front 6 players when the other positions are LOADED... that's just dumb... like selecting Iggy in a weak CB year.

why? There's not many things more important in the NFL than getting after quarterbacks and last time I checked edge players and DTs (not the ones we currently have) do that. If a taking a DL who has a higherranking than a player at another position isn't that the definition of getting value?
I m referring to this year's edge rushers in this class.

No really knows if edge rusher or wr.. or o line with 1st pick or 2nd is correct choice. It just from what I ve seen. Edge and dt doesn't move needle in first round.

My point has been the same in every post, no matter how you parse it. Namely, this year's group of DTs, DEs, and Edges is not considered to be a strong group. This has been said, over and over by most analysts... instead, this year's group of QBs, WRs, and Offensive Linemen are considered to be notable...

Last year, the Draft had Will Anderson as the top Edge.
Tyree Wilson as the top DE.
Jalen Carter as the top DT.

All of them were (and are) considered to be better prospects than ANY thing available this year.

Van Ness, McDonald... all better...

So, teams with a serious need squint really hard and pretend this year's group... hopefully... has a real prospect in it.

Murphy is barely over 6 feet tall, and he's the best of a weak lot. Shorter arms too... he'll have to be ELITE to make up for his height and length issues.

Sweat is the only one with requisite size, and he's overweight and maybe unmotivated... tough call in round one.

Latu has medical red flags.

Newton is a bit taller, but he too has length issues and is another stocky, maxed out looking player.

I like D. Robinson more than most, but he's a DE type and I'm unsure if we'll employ this hybrid type of player in our defense.

Fortunately... what this class lacks in elite prospects, it more than makes up in depth. There are a LOT of maybes in this group... and draft theory tells us to focus on QB, OT, Edge, CB, and WR anyway... to take one of these flawed Defensive front 6 players when the other positions are LOADED... that's just dumb... like selecting Iggy in a weak CB year.
I agree

Think about it. We have signed all these Defensive tackles because this year's dt draft class is strong one?

Back
Top Bottom