Dolphins show serious interest in QB John Skelton | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins show serious interest in QB John Skelton

If they were to use a pick on QB, I would rather try Tim Hiller in the 7th.

If you're going to take a flier on someone in the middle rounds because they have the prototypical size and a live arm, I'd go with Crompton. I think he showed some very good things last year, especially late in the year. The (putting it mildly) inconsistency before that can't be overlooked, of course. You're always wary of a guy who takes that long to learn or only flourishes when a pro coach comes to town (like Quinn did after Weis showed up in ND). Those are warning signs. But Crompton does have the size and flashes the ability to make rare throws from an accuracy and arm strength perspective and those are things you can work with.

I never had the chance to watch Levi Brown play so I'm just going off this poorly made, very cheesy video of his highlights from the Southern Miss game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3pgLJdyBh0

He shows some good things there but also shows a make-one-read-and-if-it's-not-there-start-scrambling-around mentality, ala Roethlisberger. Sometimes it works for him but other times not and either way you'd don't like to see a quarterback with a) overly happy feet, or b) no confidence in his progressions. There aren't enough plays in that video to really see which it is. That being said, he clearly has all the tools from a size perspective and has a quick release and flashes good accuracy. The one throw where he stands in and fires down the gun barrel to the middle of the field, showing great anticipation and accuracy... what a play. That one makes you stand up.

Of course, like I said, I didn't get the opportunity to watch Troy play this year, so my impression is (also to put it mildly) incomplete from having pretty much just watched the one video.

If I remember correctly you have Brown as your #5 QB, Slimm. What's your read on him?

Well I was actually able to see a little bit of Levi Brown in person when he played highschool football for Mt. Juliet....didn't follow him at all when he was at Richmond....until he transferred to Troy.

That highlight video is pretty useless IMO....you need to see his games against LSU in 2008 (when he threw 72 passes and had built a 30 point lead on LSU)....or his performance when he completed 40 out of 50 passes against ULL I believe...(these are just off the top of my head that have always stood out in my mind)......or his GMAC Bowl performance against Central Michigan, where IMO he out-gunned Dan LeFevour on a throw-for-throw basis....passing for almost 400 yards....

He threw an unbelievable pass in the endzone to Jernegan that would have won the game for Troy but it went right through Jernegan's hands...

His numbers are a little inflated due to the system he played in (as all of these quarterbacks are)...but he's so athletic and can improvise.....fabulous arm strength and can make all the throws he'll be required to make in the NFL....he just needs coaching on some of the fundamentals (taking the snap, footwork, etc..and he needs to get his delivery up to three-quarters)...beyond that....he's got a LOT for a QB coach to work with in terms of raw ability.

He doesn't throw interceptions and he understands how to take care of the football for the most part...doesn't make careless throws or decisions under pressure. Most importantly...he's a gamer with some intangibles and leadership qualities...

His accuracy improves DRAMATICALLY when he sets his feet...hitches..and throws on time. He's a bit of a project, but most of these guys are....and he's one I've always liked if I was going to take one to develope.

Personally, I'm not fond of Crompton...I believe Boomer is but...I've just seen him play excruciatingly bad too many times for too long...

Back
Top Bottom