Dolphins trade for Saints LB Stephone Anthony | Page 22 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins trade for Saints LB Stephone Anthony

We gave up more for him than we did William Hayes. It was an overpay.

That Hayes deal was a total steal though. I don't mind giving up a 5th rounder for a Lber. I won't have a voice anymore watching Hull, Kiko, and Chase Allen. Maybe, Stephone can come in and live up to his draft status.

We gave up more for him than we did William Hayes. It was an overpay.

I disagree. Anthony is 25, athletically gifted (also bigger than Hayes) and two years removed from being a 1st round pick. His rookie season was not bad and I would venture to say it was reasonably above if not equal to 5th round pick expectations. If he develops, he will not be a stop gap. You don't trade peanuts for a 2015 1st round pick unless they completely crapped the bed from day one.

A 5th doesn't hurt anyone? Why is it that I keep having to remind DOLPHIN FANS of this especially. Zach Thomas, Reshad Jones, Chris Clemons, Nolan Carroll, Bobbie McCain, Jay Ajayi, Tony Lippett and now Davon Godchaux. All guys who either start, started or are major contributors to the Dolphins. 5th round has been better to the Dolphins than the 1st round.
I would think if you were in charge of the team you may be inclined to have to over pay to fill a desperate need for the team in LB at this point. I agree with the points you make, but that kind of logic works well when you aren't desperate. I'd say when it comes to having quality LB's, really depth at LB the Dolphins currently are desperate. Honestly with all of that considered I tend to think we got the better of the deal.

Joe Vitt had a lot to do with this IMO. If this has been in talks for months, I'm pretty confident Vitt gave the go ahead to Coach Gase. He is Coach Gase's father in law ,so you'd think he would steer him in the right direction. I know a lot of people don't like the move but who knows? It's what we had to do and apparently was interested in doing for a little while. I personally like the move. Going forward with Allen, Hull, and Kiko would be tragic. Anthony is a big fast athlete. If we simplify things for him, he may be a solid contributor. Gase has yet to fail me so I will trust him. Cameron Jordan sure seemed pissed lol

If Stephone Anthony still has talent and is worth a flier, why are the Saints, a team with a genuinely atrocious defense giving up on him? It's not like they have an abundance of talent at the LB position and he is signed cheap enough he shouldn't have any real affect on their cap situation. Throwing away picks is never a good idea, it's not just the chances of a 5th rounder becoming a star, its assets that you don't have to move up in the draft. Take this year's draft, wouldn't it have been nice to have that 3rd and 4th rounder we gave up for Caroo to try and move up and draft a falling player like Malik Hooker?

If Stephone Anthony still has talent and is worth a flier, why are the Saints, a team with a genuinely atrocious defense giving up on him? It's not like they have an abundance of talent at the LB position and he is signed cheap enough he shouldn't have any real affect on their cap situation. Throwing away picks is never a good idea, it's not just the chances of a 5th rounder becoming a star, its assets that you don't have to move up in the draft. Take this year's draft, wouldn't it have been nice to have that 3rd and 4th rounder we gave up for Caroo to try and move up and draft a falling player like Malik Hooker?
Stuff happens all the time. Why did they let go Akiem Hicks? The saints suck at coaching on defense

I won't write the kid off just because the Saints are giving up on him. Shoot, Ireland is in the front office making the decision to dump Anthony. The same guy that dumped Vontae Davis. And the Saints defensive coaches have failed again and again. Let's see what our coaches can do with the kid.

They didn't throw the pick away. They got what could become a valuable player at a position where depth is clearly suffering. There are countless stories of players moving on to different teams and the light goes on. Nothing is guaranteed but this trade was good value.

I'm not sure why you are unable to see that.

Is there anyone comparable to Anthony pertaining to conceptual inability yet good athletic talent?

Last edited:
Maybe the Saints are bad at evaluating LB talent. After all, they traded WR Kenny Stills to us, in exchange for LB Danell Ellerbe.

They trade Stills for a 3rd round pick, Ellerbe was just a throw in. But I do agree NO has been very bad at evaluating and progressing defensive players.

They didn't throw the pick away. They got what could become a valuable player at a position where depth is clearly suffering. There are countless stories of players moving on to different teams and the light goes on. Nothing is guaranteed but this trade was good value.

I'm not sure why you are unable to see that.
Your first three sentences are true, but it's way too early to know if this trade was good value. Most Saints fans were wondering why Anthony wasn't cut, and now we know the reason - apparently there was a team willing to pay for him.

We can go back and forth on whether the Saints are bad evaluators/developers of talent (maybe they are), but the fact is, on a lousy defense, Stephone Anthony was last on the depth chart. The Saints thought so much of him last year that they brought in a broken down Laurinaitis to replace him. Sad but true.

Back
Top Bottom