Dolphins trade for Saints LB Stephone Anthony | Page 20 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins trade for Saints LB Stephone Anthony

Name an undrafted player besides Wake (which was what, 9 years ago?) who's better than Jones, Ajayi, or Lippett.
The 5th round has been our bread and butter.

The 10 tackles Hull had gets disregarded (even though most were near the LOS ... and the Chargers rushed for how many yards?), but the 110 Anthony had on a defense THAT NEVER GOT OFF THE FIELD impresses you? I've seen them both play plenty. Give me Hull 10 out of 10 times, run or pass.

Anthony is also abysmal in coverage so I'm not seeing much of an upgrade here. Do we even have a defensive coach in the building capable of salvage projects? Not getting this one at all. Desperation is not a good look and the odds typically aren't in your favor.

There are a few analysts that are developing a formula to put tackle numbers in better context. A defender's number of tackles can be insignificant as you have pointed out. A volume tackler does not signify a good defender. Here's what it currently looks like.

A "tackle+" is any tackle that:
1. results in a gain of three yards or less & doesn't get a 1st down
2. 3rd/4th down tackles short of a 1st

Lippett wouldn't be a factor on a team with good corners, McCain is pretty close to terrible and has been since he's been here, Nolan Carroll is average at best, Clemons is out of football, Godchaux is all TC hype with zero substance yet.

Reshad Jones is a beast, but he plays a position that isn't hard to find good players in.

Ajayi i'll give you, he's the best pure RB in the NFL.
Lippett would be starting right now if he wasn't injured. Regardless if he would not be starting on a team with good corners. He's better than Maxwell who is starting. You can make excuses but you're not going to get a superstar at every position and Lippett played very well last year...a year ahead of schedule. Pretty sure he led the team in INTs too. And if Nolan Carroll was here he'd probably be starting over Maxwell too. He'd definitely be one of our top 3 corners.

Regardless, keep your optimism. I suppose a team willing to trade a player who was a 1st round pick, not to mention a team we play in two weeks, totally flubbed the trade and Miami got a steal somehow.

We gave up a 5th him? This front office consistently gives up more value than it should for a player. A fifth vs a sixth may not seem like much, but when it is every move that we overpay, it adds up.

A physical is always a requirement for any deal. If a physical is failed the whole deal is void

There's no way anyone is comfortable going into another game with Hull. The guy was a former first rounder only 2 years ago. Our FO really had no choice. Gase knows more than I do. So far, he hasn't failed us. He just keeps finding the right guys. It's hard to count out any Lber with those physcial traits. Cameron Jordan seemed pretty pissed about trading him. I'm sure he's his friend but Jordan said football reasons as well.

We gave up a 5th him? This front office consistently gives up more value than it should for a player. A fifth vs a sixth may not seem like much, but when it is every move that we overpay, it adds up.

How much contribution do you expect from a 5th round pick? One would reasonably expect Anthony's contribution this year to equal if not surpass the expectations of a 5th round pick. If he does, then we did NOT overpay.

How much contribution do you expect from a 5th round pick? One would reasonably expect Anthony's contribution this year to equal if not surpass the expectations of a 5th round pick. If he does, then we did NOT overpay.

Very questionable if he will or wont IMO and if you read Jacksons stuff above, reads like an overpay also.

Unlike the other 2 other beat guys - with the ' fair deal' without any thought. Beasley even said he can play inside and outside. Really?

I will agree with FTB we had minimal solutions, but still doesnt mean we didn't overpay.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom