Dolphins who under-performed their salary level in 2012 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins who under-performed their salary level in 2012

z926538

Rookie
Reaction score
Every team in the NFL plays under the salary cap. The existence of the salary cap makes it impossible for a team to have a great player who is paid what he is worth at every single position. It is the job of a general manager to optimize the overall performance of the team by signing a mix of players at different ability levels that win and also fit under the salary cap. Good general managers do this well and their teams win. Bad general managers are unable to succeed at this balancing act.

One of the frustrating things about being a Dolphins fan is that we have lived for over a decade with general managers who been unable to master the balancing act. In particular, we appear to constantly have players who are overpaid for their performance level. On average (and I do mean average - there are obviously individual exceptions) the Dolphins roster has under-performed their salaries as compared to other teams in the league.

I would like to hear the board's opinion about who on the 2012 roster under-performed their salary level and what realistically be can be done to address the under-performance problem. This is not intended to be a bash Ireland thread, so don't go down that path. Let's take the wisdom of the members to identify problems and realistic solutions. So, if you make a suggestion, make it real. We can't cut everyone and replace them in free agency.

I'll start with the easy one: Jake Long in 2012 ate up a huge percentage of the team's salary cap. His actual performance this year under-performed his salary level. Since he is at the end of his contract, there are only two real options. First, you can choose to let him move to free agency and draft a tackle in round 2, 3 or 4 or choose a less expensive replacement in free agency. Second, you can sign him, but only if he agrees to take a contract that is in line with his last two years of on the field performance.

So who else is under-performing their contract?

Ew, I know! The man, who made us proud to be fans, who's injury played better for the team rather than himself. You already know, or do you?
Riiiiiichaaaaaaaard Maaaaaaarshall!:limp:

You also have to take into account the difficulty in replacing a player in free agency. Left tackles of Long's caliber don't grow on trees.

1. Karlos Dansby - he is a solid linebacker and leader, but he is not the playmaker or game changer that his contract suggests.

2. Richard Marshall - I don't think he was worth the money we threw at him, he didn't play well and then got hurt...

3. Tony McDaniel - are we really paying a backup DT this much?

4. Nate Garner - see above

5. Jake Long - Ugh I hate to put him on here, he isn't playing up to his money but at the same time he's the one guy worth overpaying. I still trust him any given sunday. There is something about Long/Incognito/Pouncey that you have to know other teams are stressing that matchup. These guys live and die as a unit, I don't see how you can break that up.

Here is my follow up question: As much as all teams have players who underplay their contracts... who on the Dolphins is outplaying their contract?

Reshad Jones, Kevin Burnett, Brian Hartline, Mike Pouncey.

You also have to take into account the difficulty in replacing a player in free agency. Left tackles of Long's caliber don't grow on trees.

I agree that left tackles of Long's caliber don't grow on trees. The issue with Long is that he is taking up a huge amount of salary cap. An absolutely freaking huge amount of salary cap, around 20% if I remember correctly. Given his injury and his slight regression in skills in the last two seasons, can we really afford to be spending that much money on him alone? Would it not be possible and better to bring in a serviceable tackle who takes up much less salary cap and use the remaining part of that salary cap space to upgrade other positions? That is exactly the approach used by many franchises with a better recent history than the Dolphins.

Idk the more I think about it, I think we need to give Long a big contract, I know he's had injury issues and all and that is all very unfortunate. But truth of the matter is that Jake Long has the stench of a hall of famer, a player of his caliber will eventually overcome his injury issues. I have this feeling that if he does come back which he should, that he will have a career year, and we'll finish in the top 5 in rushing. I know its a bold statement but it's just what I believe.

Idk the more I think about it, I think we need to give Long a big contract, I know he's had injury issues and all and that is all very unfortunate. But truth of the matter is that Jake Long has the stench of a hall of famer, a player of his caliber will eventually overcome his injury issues. I have this feeling that if he does come back which he should, that he will have a career year, and we'll finish in the top 5 in rushing. I know its a bold statement but it's just what I believe.

OK, you decide to bring him back. What percentage of the entire team's salary cap are you willing to spend to bring him back? Every dollar that goes to Jake Long is a dollar that can't be used to improve a different position on the team.

Karlos Dansby lead this defense.

It's not his fault that his contract was boosted because of FA. He is a damn good LB. Damn good.

Like WVDolphan said, Dansby is my homeboy.

OK, you decide to bring him back. What percentage of the entire team's salary cap are you willing to spend to bring him back? Every dollar that goes to Jake Long is a dollar that can't be used to improve a different position on the team.
Big whoop, we've got 5 draft picks in the first three rounds. Who do we really need thats in the free agency besides a receiver? If anything you can argue that Jake is the best free agent available, and I don't know about you but I want to protect my quarterback. Do you know the key to New England's success? It's protecting Brady. Besides we'll still have more than enough money to get a Mike Wallace, or Greg Jennings.

Karlos Dansby lead this defense.

It's not his fault that his contract was boosted because of FA. He is a damn good LB. Damn good.

Like WVDolphan said, Dansby is my homeboy.

It sounds like you believe that his play was good, but it did not reach the level of performance you would expect for his contract. Do I understand what you are saying? If so, how do you improve his performance so it matches what he is being paid. Or should we try to find a cheaper player who plays at the same level.

Once again, every player on the team who is overpaid for his current performance is eating salary cap dollars that can be used to improve the rest of the team.

It sounds like you believe that his play was good, but it did not reach the level of performance you would expect for his contract. Do I understand what you are saying? If so, how do you improve his performance so it matches what he is being paid. Or should we try to find a cheaper player who plays at the same level.

Once again, every player on the team who is overpaid for his current performance is eating salary cap dollars that can be used to improve the rest of the team.
Your logic is very skewed, what is this madden? We don't know the rating of each player, or how good they are. Its not as simple as finding someone who plays at Dansby's level and paying him less. Point is you don't cut good players, Dansby is a good player you don't let him go.

Big whoop, we've got 5 draft picks in the first three rounds. Who do we really need thats in the free agency besides a receiver? If anything you can argue that Jake is the best free agent available, and I don't know about you but I want to protect my quarterback. Do you know the key to New England's success? It's protecting Brady. Besides we'll still have more than enough money to get a Mike Wallace, or Greg Jennings.

From my reading of this board we're going to need to resign Starks and Smith, upgrade at the other corner and safety, find another pass rushing defensive end, rebuild at left and right guard, find a #1 and #2 skilled wide receiver, find a tight end who can run seam routes, replace Matt Moore at backup QB, and replace Nate Garner at backup tackle. I don't think we can do that with the five picks that we have in the first three rounds. So I ask again, how much of the salary cap would be willing to pay Jake Long? 10%? 15%? 20%? 25%? If you could go from using 20% of the cap down to 10% of the cap, and only give up five additional sacks next season, would it be worth it to have the additional money to improve at the other positions? Or is minimizing sacks so important that we should deliberately handcuff ourselves at these other positions because we're spending the money on Jake Long.

Back
Top Bottom