Dolphins who under-performed their salary level in 2012 | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins who under-performed their salary level in 2012

gtfo with fasano talk. dude had 5 touchdowns.

Wow not a whole 5 TDs.... read the question. The guy is getting paid 3.6 mil this year which is top 12 TE money in the league and got out played by guys getting paid half as much. He had 5 tds yeah and only 330 yards receiving. Guy like Pitta are getting paid 600K and had 670 and 7 tds. Gresham is getting paid less and had 700+ yards and 5 tds. Bennett also less $$ and had 600+ yards and 5 tds. Jeff cumberland the jets back up TE getting paid min salary had 360 yards and 3 tds. Hes a back up with suckhez as his qb and had more yards and almost as many TDs as Fasano. So yeah keep think oh he had 5 tds cuz he didnt do anything else and got out played by alot of guys getting paid less then him so yeah ill say he underacheived big time for the money he got paid this year. Is that not the purpose of this thread? Please tell me how he lived up to the amount of money he made with his pplay this year? U GTFO and read the post before u answer next time.

Wow not a whole 5 TDs.... read the question. The guy is getting paid 3.6 mil this year which is top 12 TE money in the league and got out played by guys getting paid half as much. He had 5 tds yeah and only 330 yards receiving. Guy like Pitta are getting paid 600K and had 670 and 7 tds. Gresham is getting paid less and had 700+ yards and 5 tds. Bennett also less $$ and had 600+ yards and 5 tds. Jeff cumberland the jets back up TE getting paid min salary had 360 yards and 3 tds. Hes a back up with suckhez as his qb and had more yards and almost as many TDs as Fasano. So yeah keep think oh he had 5 tds cuz he didnt do anything else and got out played by alot of guys getting paid less then him so yeah ill say he underacheived big time for the money he got paid this year. Is that not the purpose of this thread? Please tell me how he lived up to the amount of money he made with his pplay this year? U GTFO and read the post before u answer next time.
Sorry I was unaware that yardage won games and not touchdowns.

there are only 9 TEs with more than fasano's five touchdowns. Which means if he's getting paid as the 12th highest TE, and yet he was ranked in the top 10 in touchdowns, he outperformed his contract.

Do you know the key to New England's success? It's protecting Brady.
Actually, the key to New England's success is Tom Brady. And if you think continuing to pay Jake Long mega millions will somehow make us more like them, you're probably sharing your brain with Jeff Ireland (which, come to think of it, would explain a lot of things...).

Show me a list of teams who've made their LT the best paid player on the team, and I'll show you a list of perennial underachievers.

According to one poster (who actually posted this garbage), Bess is overpaid at about 2.5M/year on average.

Actually, the key to New England's success is Tom Brady. And if you think continuing to pay Jake Long mega millions will somehow make us more like them, you're probably sharing your brain with Jeff Ireland (which, come to think of it, would explain a lot of things...).

Show me a list of teams who've made their LT the best paid player on the team, and I'll show you a list of perennial underachievers.
Yes, cause if Brady was on his ass at least 4 times a game there chances of winning decreases dramatically. Giants proved this theory, why do you think the Pats put more of their resources into the offensive line. Btw it's common sense that you protect the QB. And when your best player is your LT then yes you do pay him, and I never said we would be like New England but they have right idea.

This type of analysis and discussion is the entire reason I started this thread. We're debating what characteristics makes particular players good. Elite (championships) teams tend to have a small number of highly paid players whose performance matches their pay and a large number of cheaper players whose performance is much higher than what you would expect for their pay. They tend to minimize the number of players who are overpaid for their performance level. Since the Dolphins have been mediocre for a very long time, our GMs must have been making bad choices -- overpaying for less than stellar talent and allocating too much money to certain positions in a way that handcuffed them at the other positions. Understanding who isn't contributing at a level appropriate for their salary is the start of fixing a team. Figuring out how to fix it is an entire different problem.

BTW, I don't have problem with overpaying in free agency for an extremely good player as long as you understood up front that you are doing it and have a plan for dealing with how that will handcuff you when wanting to spend at other positions. Every team that signs a free agent in some sense overpaying for that talent. So I do understand the Dansby situation. I just think you need to have a reasonable plan for how you are going to optimize the other positions when you don't adequate money to spend on them.

I'm sorry but Jake Long cannot be signed if this team ever wants to compete. He going to require about 12 million a year and for a declining player that is always injured, is way too much!!! I love the guy but we could get 2 playmakers for that price. We can draft an athletic Tackle in the draft and be better off. Garner is terrible and I hope he is not resigned either.

From my reading of this board we're going to need to resign Starks and Smith, upgrade at the other corner and safety, find another pass rushing defensive end, rebuild at left and right guard, find a #1 and #2 skilled wide receiver, find a tight end who can run seam routes, replace Matt Moore at backup QB, and replace Nate Garner at backup tackle. I don't think we can do that with the five picks that we have in the first three rounds. So I ask again, how much of the salary cap would be willing to pay Jake Long? 10%? 15%? 20%? 25%? If you could go from using 20% of the cap down to 10% of the cap, and only give up five additional sacks next season, would it be worth it to have the additional money to improve at the other positions? Or is minimizing sacks so important that we should deliberately handcuff ourselves at these other positions because we're spending the money on Jake Long.
And don't you think letting go of an elite player like Long, would create a gaping hole?

And don't you think letting go of an elite player like Long, would create a gaping hole?

Absolutely it will create a hole. The question in my mind is can we use his current dollars under the cap to get better as a team by getting an adequate but not elite left tackle and still have money left over to improve other positions, or must we spend the same or more money on Jake Long and handicap our ability to improve the rest of the team? We'd all like Jake to come back under a significant pay cut, but Jake is going to want the same or more money than he is getting now. That eats up a huge amount of our cap. Any money going to Jake is money not available to upgrade other positions.

I think it creates a hole on the right side of the line. However it opens up the ability to sign 2 or 3 other players to fill needs elsewhere on the team.

Absolutely it will create a hole. The question in my mind is can we use his current dollars under the cap to get better as a team by getting an adequate but not elite left tackle and still have money left over to improve other positions, or must we spend the same or more money on Jake Long and handicap our ability to improve the rest of the team? We'd all like Jake to come back under a significant pay cut, but Jake is going to want the same or more money than he is getting now. That eats up a huge amount of our cap. Any money going to Jake is money not available to upgrade other positions.
I agree that he's going to want more money, and yes based on the last 2 years in which he hasn't played elite I'd offer him a lower contract than his last one, but I'm saying if the only way we can get him back is by paying him, then **** I'd be obliged to do it because he is still is a great left tackle and is a great asset to us.

I appreciate the level of discussion in this thread and thank you all for your well argued contributions. Obviously what to do with Long and Fasano are two of the key decisions that our GM must handle this year. Getting back to the original premise of the post, are there other players who you feel are significantly under-performing their pay level? I think an argument could be made that Carpenter falls into this category.

I appreciate the level of discussion in this thread and thank you all for your well argued contributions. Obviously what to do with Long and Fasano are two of the key decisions that our GM must handle this year. Getting back to the original premise of the post, are there other players who you feel are significantly under-performing their pay level? I think an argument could be made that Carpenter falls into this category.

Lol yes Carpenter, I think he gets paid like 3 million year someone stated. We can definitely can get a rookie kicker for cheaper. Btw yea I agree I do love discussing Miami football with others, and appreciate the fact that we each have different opinions about stuff. But be careful on this forum, people get a bit too disrespectful.

Lol yes Carpenter, I think he gets paid like 3 million year someone stated. We can definitely can get a rookie kicker for cheaper. Btw yea I agree I do love discussing Miami football with others, and appreciate the fact that we each have different opinions about stuff. But be careful on this forum, people get a bit too disrespectful.

Getting a rookie kicker (or FA) for cheaper seems like a no-brainer to me, but I'd like hear people who have a contrary opinion.

WRT disrespect, that's why I asked that this thread not devolve into a trash Ireland thread. I want us to consider and intelligently debate the issues that our GM faces this offseason, not discuss who is making the decisions.

Back
Top Bottom