Dowell Loggains is new OC

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by RocKStaR, Jan 3, 2018.

1. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

They said Christianson was a great qb guy, this guy has shown nothing to being an upgrade

2. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

He has never developed anybody at qb and has not done a great job of even keeping an OC job. We are stint number 3 and he isn't even 40 lol

Dolphins81 likes this.
  3. Zounds

Zounds CPA4LYFE Donator

The Adam Gase OC is not a true OC. Gase is the offensive "idea guy" and his OC is the implementer and administrator. Joe Philbin was this kind of OC for Mike McCarthy. You don't need some football wizard to be our OC, you just need a guy that can help teach the playbook and get the offense organized. I like this hire and I think it will help Gase prepare better game plans.

danstilldaman, laxcoach and Ben Had like this.
  4. GreenMts

GreenMts Seasoned Veteran

The answer is interview. OC for a NFL team should have candidates lining up. Good young talent will line up. Just interview and scout that talent. The "network" bs is just about the old boys club crap. That gets us nowhere.

Dolphins81 and dlockz like this.
  5. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

based on what

6. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

This is the entire problem with the NFL, screw interviewing people just bring in your boys. Even the top coaches do this but it is a reason that minority coaches are well in the minority of coaching positions in the NFL.

7. Ben Had

Ben Had FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

It has worked for the pats for years...how many of the coaches that have left became something special.

Good coaches tend to pick assistants that work/lead in the systems they want. We’ll see with Gase.

8. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

When GAse does anything like BB get back to me. Show me any examples of BB hiring an OC that has not had success anywhere and is now on their third stint.

Dolphins81 likes this.
  9. FSU Truth

FSU Truth The North Remembers Finheaven VIP

Yeah, because BB didn't hire Weis who he worked with in NY or Josh McDaniel who had been a long time New England assistant. This is how football works, you hire who you know and trust.

Albert Romano and Ben Had like this.
  10. FSU Truth

Jake Locker, who played well when he was there.

Ben Had likes this.
  11. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Not really He was with tennesee since 2010 and Jake Locker is your success story, sorry if I do not see the point you are making.

thefieds and DKphin like this.
  12. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Worked out quite well for Loggins other coaches that hired him as OC. Maybe it works out but this is not some great hire, he is in his third OC job for a reason. Who knows he may be the first OC fired three times before he is 40, that is an accomplishment I guess

DKphin likes this.
  13. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

You do realize both players you named did not bounce around the league getting coaches fired until they just happened to be scooped up by BB, BB developed Mcdanials and Wiess followed parcells and BB.
    Quite a different scenario

14. phinfan40353

phinfan40353 Scout Team

While bringing in people you know makes hiring easier and promises to bring chemistry. It inherently makes it more difficult to correct bad habits and fire.

For all of the positives in hiring people you know, there are more negatives that prevent good business/management practices.

This is not a scheme discussion. This is an education in good management. Never manage family or friends.

joenhre and Dolphins81 like this.
  15. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

The problem with the offense has been the front office and the horrible play calling this year

16. mfish41

mfish41 It is what it is Donator

Next season has the potential to be toxic. Gase keeps hiring his unproductive, unproven buddies and not holding them accountable while him and his buddies take no issue with throwing players under the bus.

17. Fin Fan in Cali

Fin Fan in Cali Joanne Shaw Taylor Super Donator Finheaven VIP

I respect your opinion bro, but I respectfully disagree. I am pretty sure this was brought to his attention already. Let's see what the new influx of coaches can do with the existing next year.

Ben Had likes this.
  18. claytonduper

claytonduper Starter

I can feel your pain

19. mfish41

I hope i'm wrong too but this looks like turmoil from the outside looking in. The state of the team press conference wasn't exactly encouraging and shifting around the offensive staff isn't a good sign either. The wide 9 defense is way too inconsistent and yet we're not making any adjustments to that staff or scheme. Gase has a tendency to blame his players not named Cutler or Tannehill without holding anyone on his staff responsible for their mishaps. Its a recipe for losing a team.

elite14eva likes this.
  20. Fin Fan in Cali

Fin Fan in Cali Joanne Shaw Taylor Super Donator Finheaven VIP

I think Coach Gase took the heat so long for his players and then the frustration came out in the press rather than staying in the locker room. I think you are seeing him holding the staff accountable by changing coaches. I don't think the changes are done just quite yet. When you are a leader as I am speaking from a management background the only way you get better is to learn from your mistakes to which you become a stronger leader for them. I am hoping Coach Gase learns from what went well and what needs improvement. Have a great weekend!

Ben Had likes this.
  21. DefensiveEnd76

DefensiveEnd76 Football Guru

You only hire your friend if that friend has the potential to do a good job. You shouldn't hire your friend just because they're your friend. That's a good way to get yourself a ticket out of town.

miamiron, joenhre and elite14eva like this.
  22. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer Tape Guys vs Analytics Guys Finheaven VIP Donator

You can always point to specific things you don't like in terms of how a game is called, but what I saw this season was a lot of plays just straight up left on the field.

23. mfish41

If he goes status quo into next year with the defense i don't have much faith that he's learning from his mistakes. I don't think there's any competitive advantage to our defensive scheme or the coordinators who have ran it.

elite14eva and Fin Fan in Cali like this.
  24. DefensiveEnd76

DefensiveEnd76 Football Guru

Get rid of the damn wide 9 scheme. It's garbage. Also, find a real D Coordinator.

kevphin and elite14eva like this.
  25. elite14eva

elite14eva Yashu Mane!!! Donator

This

26. J. David Wannyheimer

The point is that if anyone who could actually make Jake Locker resemble a functional NFL QB deserves some credit for it.

27. phinfan40353

phinfan40353 Scout Team

So, basically Gase and TB.

I was ready to fire them before we hired them. Is it time yet?

28. phinfan40353

phinfan40353 Scout Team

Careful, I see ghosts of Jay Cutler past in that statement.

29. phinfan40353

phinfan40353 Scout Team

Can't until we get rid of Suh.

30. FSU Truth

We didn't use it much this year...

31. Spiff

Spiff Starter Finheaven VIP Donator

I absolutely disagree. Play-calling was definitely not the problem this year.

32. thefieds

thefieds Rookie

The problem is the offensive woes were blamed on losing their QB in preseason. Gase is the OC. He draw up the game plan, he calls the plays. Firing his OC and replacing him with his loser buddy is nothing but window dressing. His problem was not having the confidence to surround himself with experienced coords from the start. Gase is in over his head. This staff is nothing but the blind leading the blind.

33. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Yay mediocrity

34. andyahs

andyahs Bahamian Redneck Finheaven VIP Donator

Come back next year when Tannehill is back and make this claim.

35. thefieds

thefieds Rookie

Sure thing, andyahs. Let me ask, do you think the loggains hire is a good one and if so, why?

36. J. David Wannyheimer

I think... that if Jay Cutler had not had his shoulder ruined in 2016, and had come to Miami in 2017 with functional arm strength, we would have had MUCH different results this season. MUCH different.

Because what I saw when I looked at the Dolphins offense this season, was a quarterback who could competently run the entire playbook, understood where everyone was supposed to be and could orchestrate the offense at the line of scrimmage, made good coverage reads and adjustments... and just couldn't throw the damn football. But if he could have still thrown that rock? Man, I have to tell you something, I think there's a chance Miami would still be playing right now.

Just my two cents.

37. miamiron

miamiron A True Fan

gJMiphy.gif

38. andyahs

andyahs Bahamian Redneck Finheaven VIP Donator

Yes. From what I understand Gase is a very complex person and Loggains understands him and can get in his ear especially during games. Christensen and Gase apparently did not see eye to eye.

39. jnozag

jnozag Well-Known Member

40. phinfan40353

phinfan40353 Scout Team

I agree somewhat. I understand his personality to a degree and give him credit for being him. I respect a person playing within their abilities and I changed my mind about him with a few moments of guilt he carried off the field and showed accountability.

I think Cutler showed us, in yet another way, why he has teased coaches in the past. And for that reason, thinking we could create the perfect environment for him to succeed when we can barely achieve success, he was not a good fit for us. There's always an "if" or "but" with him. I hold Gase accountable.

I know he is young, but Gase has now put himself in a win or walk situation. For all of Gase's promise, there comes a time when you have to stop measuring potential and look at results.

He has mismanaged the D and relied on coaches that have failed to deliver. As such, he has missed out on 2 years of Suh. Two years we desperately needed to see a return (wins) from Suh's presence.

Regardless of blame, he is the guy where the buck stops. He has mismanaged the RT injury situation with Moore and Cutler. In some sense, I think he lost the locker room to a degree by side stepping the Matt Moore situation and loyalty to him on the team.

He has had to cut players mid-season in consecutive years to make a point. He is now overhauling his entire offensive staff.

So, where do we stand?

What has Gase done foundationally to change the course of the Dolphins? What new building blocks, that are real starters, has he developed?

Or are we still reliant on the veterans to win us games?

Sadly, we are closer to rebuilding than we are building. We are saddled with bad contracts and still have the same holes on our team that we had when he got here.

I don't think even a good arm in Cutler could have saved this season. I think we are seeing the cracking of the foundation that will collapse. Placing all the hope in Cutler to have saved our season is reflective of the real underlying problem: Gase has not improved our team by coaching.