Draft Coverage Market Research (please vote) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Draft Coverage Market Research (please vote)

Which services would you sign up for? (You can vote for multiple options)

• Weekly/Twice-Weekly Email Newsletter: $5 per month (Feb, Mar, Apr)

Votes: 81 17.1%
  • Unprecedented Fan Access Through Q&A: $5 (for all three months)

Votes: 57 12.1%
  • Full Color Printed and Bound Draft Guide (Subscribers Only): $20 (plus S/H)

Votes: 64 13.5%
  • Full Color Printed and Bound Draft Guide (non-Subscribers): $30 (plus S/H)

Votes: 31 6.6%
  • Draft Weekend Chat Admission: $5 (Saturday & Sunday)

Votes: 44 9.3%
  • Are you guys nuts? Why would I want to pay you guys for Draft information?

Votes: 318 67.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ckparrothead

Premium Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to say in advance, thank you guys for all the compliments and respect that Boomer, KB21, and myself have received over the years from you guys.

Over the years you have all gotten to know me pretty intimately. I've notched 17,000+ posts with my furious typing and seemingly endless supply of words and sentences.

You guys ALL know Boomer and KB21. They have functioned as your local FinHeaven Draft Gurus for a long time and I hope you have come to enjoy their research, and respect their opinions as much as I have. Believe it or not, they have spent long, tireless hours engaging in professional grade film study and draft research to come by their unique level of knowledge. For myself, I have engaged in serious film study for only the last three or four years.

You guys have seen Saban's media policy. It is North Korea over at the Dolphins facility and the local 'professional' media are going nuts over it...endlessly taking veiled shots at Nick Saban and disregarding positive fan sentiment. The reason is simple: they no longer have the contacts to get the inside information, and so they must rely on their brains and knowledge to predict the Dolphins' actions. It now becomes a valid question as to just what kind of knowledgeable fans there are out there who are able to accurately analyze, assess, and predict moves and potential moves made by the Miami Dolphins better than the traditional local press. A great example of this would be Fineas' most recent Culpepper Manifesto.

With the help and support of FinHeaven, and the FinHeaven community, I believe we have an opportunity that few other fan communities of any other team can boast. With the burgeoning popularity of FinHeaven, and the tireless hard work of three of its home grown members, we can offer an entire smorgasboard of NFL Draft evaluation from the perspective of the Miami Dolphins.

Enough preamble. On to the subject at hand.

Draft Coverage

Boomer, myself, and KB21 are in the middle of conducting research on the possibility of rolling out systematic draft coverage aimed primarily at the Miami Dolphins fan community. This would involve professional bottom-up research and commentary. We are considering the following itemized products for the 2007 NFL Draft. Please vote on which products you would be willing to buy.

1. Weekly/Twice-Weekly Email Newsletter: $5 per month (Feb, Mar, Apr)
We are leaning toward the newsletter being sent twice per week. The email would include new pieces and commentary from myself, Boomer, and KB21. The commentary should cover relevant happenings during the week. During "dead" times when nothing new has happened worthy of discussion, the newsletter would focus on film evaluation and commentary on draft prospects that may be of interest to the Dolphins. The topics of discussion would probably be guided toward what seemed to be most on the minds of Dolphin fans at the time. The fee we would be charging would be $5 per month from February through the end of April. The newsletter would be the basic package from which you can add other items.

2. Unprecedented Fan Access Through Q&A: $5 (for all three months)
The idea is for fans to be able to ask us as many questions as they desire and have us give them answers in much the same way that Boomer and I have been doing in the Ask Boomer thread. Needless to say, for those who have subscriptions to other draft sites, this is not a common offering. We would hold live Q&A chat sessions, through IRC, subscription necessary to get in. We would also field email questions and would work your questions into a Private Q&A Newsletter that would be sent to all members of the Q&A offering. Note that subscribers to the basic Newsletter would not be sent the Private Q&A Newsletter, nor would subscribers be able to sign up for the Q&A access without subscribing to the base Newsletter. This is a package deal. $20 in February would get you three months worth of newsletters, and three months worth of Q&A.

3. Full Color Printed and Bound Draft Guide (Subscribers Only): $20 (plus S/H)
The Draft Guide would be printed, published, and shipped around the first week of April in order to give you plenty of time to digest it prior to D-Day. This would be a professional grade draft guide that would include: mock draft, position rankings, top 100 board, and individual player profiles. The player profiles would incorporate as available: accurate height/weight listings, NFL Combine measurements, Combine commentary (where applicable), Senior Bowl commentary (where applicable), college statistics, a draft grade (round), and overall commentary from the three of us. As you know, I am a statistical buff, so I am batting around the idea of using full Combine measurements in order to derive Madden-style player attributes.

4. Full Color Printed and Bound Draft Guide (non-Subscribers): $30 (plus S/H)
This would be the exact same as above. We want to encourage people first and foremost to be subscribers to our basic newsletter. If you are a subscriber by March, you will receive the Draft Guide at a $10 discount. If you are not a subscriber, the Draft Guide would cost you $30 per copy.

5. Draft Weekend Chat Admission: $5 (Saturday & Sunday)
I am not trying to get a big head here and I am not trying to say it is worth $5 just to rub elbows with the three of us. But, the fact of the matter is that Draft Day around FinHeaven will be a MADHOUSE. You saw all the server overload problems just when the fanbase expected Drew Brees to sign at any minute. We want to organize an orderly chat room that Boomer, KB21, and myself would all be in, where we could actively discuss everything that is going on during the draft, as it happens. But you just cannot do something like this for free admission, because everyone would come and it is no longer ORDERLY. We want serious discussion from serious fans, and charging admission is a good way to cull out the ones who just want to come into chat and take a crap all over everyone. This is pretty much the only aspect of this Draft coverage that the three of us are considering offering for the 2006 NFL Draft. The draft day chat room would likely be an IRC chat room, and the best way to access IRC is with mIRC. If you try to use the FH servers, you run into the overload problem that will undoubtedly happen on draft day. Last year, I just remember being very disappointed that I could not find a chat room where I could discuss things that were happening with reasonable, intelligent Dolfans, and I was very disappointed in that experience. All I am saying is the three of us will agree to be around to chat in an organized, controlled chat room for much of the two days of the NFL Draft...if you guys would pay a SMALL admission fee in order to guarantee the right and ability to discuss things intelligently.

So, now you have read the options. Please vote for as many as you think you would be interested in buying. Again, this is just MARKET RESEARCH in order to guide us as to what kind of coverage we should provide. We will not jump into this thing unless we feel it is going to be a rewarding experience for the FinHeaven Community.

As a little background for those that do now know us.

Boomer lives in sunny England and follows the draft like it's his job...and at various points, it has been his job. He works for the BBC and has journalistic experience. For those that know him, Frank Coyle has asked Boomer in the past to work with them at Great Blue North, but Boomer had to decline due to his child being on the way. Boomer is a film junky that speaks with the voice of experience, as he has been following the Draft since before I was even able to appreciate the merits of a nice set of womens' breasts.

KB21 is a 28 year old genius medical student. He's seen more A's on the report card than your local asian community. He attended undergraduate at Mississippi State and grew up playing baseball and football with Steelers standout guard Kendall Simmons. Keith is a film junky and an avid football nut. He would certainly welcome the opportunity to stack up his wonderlic next to anyone else in the world.

CKParrotHead (me)...I am...well let's see...mostly a know-it-all. Once upon a time I was a 16 year old smart@ss that loved to boast about his SAT score. Since then, I graduated with a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Economics with a Minor in History from Georgetown University, and am currently working as an Equity Analyst with Raymond James Financial in St. Petersburg, FL. The research team I work on (about a half dozen to a dozen guys) currently manages around $5 billion in corporate and public retirement assets. I watch a lot of film, maintain databases on draft prospects, and I do statistical analysis because I like to do so. I speak with the voice of an Equity Analyst that evaluates stocks in much the same way that I've always evaluated individual football players and teams. This industry is practically a mirror-image of the football world, you would be very surprised. I have found a lot of success in both worlds by having experience in both areas. My financial experience has helped me to further understand the NFL, and my experience evaluating the NFL allowed me to "hit the ground running" with the Equity Analyst role.

1 & 3 sound interesting to me.....might consider others, but also would hope some of your knowldege would be shared as always for fun and not just profit with chats and message board :D

We would continue to post in the VIP forums as we've always done.

However, "Ask Boomer" threads will pretty much cease to exist outside of the VIP forum and outside of the draft coverage.

As Boomer has pointed out in the past, he just can't afford to be doing all kinds of draft research anymore if there's no light at the end of the tunnel. We've put a lot of manhours into all this...and we want to keep doing it for everyone's benefit, but it just isn't feasible to continue unless there is some revenue involved. Sorry.

In order to encourage more voting for the sake of market research, please feel free to ask Boomer or myself any questions you have regarding the draft or Dolphins football and we'll try and answer them in this thread.

I will also answer any questions, to the best of my knowledge, you may have about the current draft and Miami's approach to this draft.

Excellent! We have KB in here as well to conduct Ask KB stuff.

VIP members know KB21 pretty well, but he hasn't been out to the main forum in quite a while.

phinphan11 said:
No offense but there is still 'free' draft information available for those who would rather not pay up.

There is indeed. But I guarantee you won't find full ACCURATE measurements, analysis, or ability to predict which players the Miami Dolphins are looking at in the draft.

ckparrothead said:
There is indeed. But I guarantee you won't find full ACCURATE measurements, analysis, or ability to predict which players the Miami Dolphins are looking at in the draft.

Exactly, its the specific Miami analysis that interests me of course.

KB -

Great to have you.

Based on FA, and the 6 picks we still have. Who are you targeting in the 1st.

And as far as other rounds....do you see mostly Defense with those picks (how many D guys, how many O guys with our 6), and if you see Offense what round and position.

thanks -

Guys, first of all, I just want to thank you for all you do. You are all tremendous assets to this board and should be commended. Well done.

Those are certainly some interesting options, many of which worth considering. I personally really like the Draft Day Chat idea.

Now for my question: With the signing of Renaldo Hill, I get the impression Nick is looking for versatility in his players, but particularly DBs. Now, with this in mind, looks like a guy like Jimmy Williams could be our target in Round 1. Agree or disagree? Also, with the possibility of Atlanta dealing their #1 for Abraham, it looks like the possibility of him being available there is substantially higher.

Also guys, according to the Sun-Sentinel, we entertained CB Will Allen today. Now, if signed, I could see us looking at SS in Round 1, as reports are Renaldo Hill was signed for the FS spot. So my question is this: Who is the best safety prospect that projects as a SS? Also, could Ernie Sims convert to that position, like ex-teammate Michael Boulware? Could he be a fit at #16?

I would be interested in the magazine, but at around 10 bucks. That's what I pay for the Sporting News draft mag every year and I'm happy with it.

Dolfan1000 said:
Guys, first of all, I just want to thank you for all you do. You are all tremendous assets to this board and should be commended. Well done.

Those are certainly some interesting options, many of which worth considering. I personally really like the Draft Day Chat idea.

Now for my question: With the signing of Renaldo Hill, I get the impression Nick is looking for versatility in his players, but particularly DBs. Now, with this in mind, looks like a guy like Jimmy Williams could be our target in Round 1. Agree or disagree? Also, with the possibility of Atlanta dealing their #1 for Abraham, it looks like the possibility of him being available there is substantially higher.

The idea behind the draft chat is to sort of weed out the people who just show up to this sort of thing to start spouting off crap...or the people who aren't serious about all this. If this stuff isn't for you that's fine, we want the people who are interested not the people who are not. We'd make it cheaper but the best way to make sure the people that show up are INTERESTED in the merits of the draft chat, is to make them pony up in the wallet department to do it.

It does seem like versatility is a big thing with Saban and I believe one of the reasons you'll find that is because Saban really places a high priority on being able to come up in run support and hit people. A person in the secondary that can't tackle is like a hole in the fish net for fish to escape through. It is an exploitation waiting to happen.

Jimmy Williams is possibly but he's really turned a few people off with his character, off and on the field. As one scout said "he's got a million dollar body and a 10 cent head".

Dolphins_SR66 said:
Exactly, its the specific Miami analysis that interests me of course.

KB -

Great to have you.

Based on FA, and the 6 picks we still have. Who are you targeting in the 1st.

And as far as other rounds....do you see mostly Defense with those picks (how many D guys, how many O guys with our 6), and if you see Offense what round and position.

thanks -

Miami is currently very interested in some defensive players with that first round pick. One guy they are very intersted in is Antonio Cromartie and for good reason. Antonio is a 6'2" cornerback that runs a consistent 4.4 forty, has very long arms, great ball skills, and great man to man coverage skills. He is also very physical in run support. He's such a great athlete that FSU was playing around with the idea of playing him at wide receiver some this season as well, before he tore the ACL in his knee.

The Dolphins are also showing some interest in Tennessee defensive back Jason Allen. Jason Allen was being graded out as a mid-first round draft pick before dislocating his hip early in the season. Doubts over that injury had dropped his draft status into the second round, but Jason Allen alleviated any doubts about whether he is 100% with an OUTSTANDING performance at the combine. CK put together an analysis of the past two drafts relative to the defensive back performance at the combine. Jason Allen tested out as the best athlete of any defensive back that performed at the combine this year or last year. Jason is 6'1", 209 lbs, is physical, versatile, and has 4.39 speed. He blew the doors off all the other defensive backs in the agility drills, being in the top three in every drill (short shuttle, long shuttle, three cone drill). Miami will be well represented at Tennessee's Pro Day.

The Dolphins are also showing some interest in a couple of other FSU defenders, namely defensive tackle Brodrick Bunkley and linebacker Ernie Sims. Nick Saban wants defensive tackles to be able to give him a push up the middle to keep quarterbacks from stepping up when the ends crash in from the outside, and Brodrick Bunkley tied with Dusty Dvoracek for the NCAA lead in tackles for loss this past season among interior linemen. He's 6'3", 306 lbs and is built like an Adonis. He looks like he was weaned off a Nautilus machine. He's massive in the chest and shoulder area, and in the thigh area. He's built really well, low to the ground, and has an explosive burst off the ball. Some teams are looking at him as a nose tackle, comparing him to the Steelers' Casey Hampton, and some are looking at him as a three technique tackle.

Ernie Sims is one hell of an athlete, running a ridiculous 4.45 forty at FSU's pro day while being one of only a few linebackers to break 4.6 at the combine. He draws comparisons to Derrick Brooks. His long term fit in Nick's defense would probably be as a weakside linebacker, with Channing Crowder moving to strong side linebacker and eventually middle linebacker.

One other guy that the Dolphins seriously considering with that pick is wide receiver Chad Jackson from Florida. Nick Saban met personaly with Chad Jackson when Jackson was visiting the Senior Bowl. Nick is very familiar with Chad from his days in the SEC. Jackson is a burner at wide receiver that would give the Dolphins the type of speed threat they need in this offense. I think he is a mix of Eric Moulds and Chad Johnson relative to talent and desire.

As for what they want to do with their later picks, I know they want to add another young offensive lineman to the fold, and they want to get a young quarterback as well. The Dolphins have been doing a lot of research on quarterback Omar Jacobs from Bowling Green. Given the fact that Nick Saban stated in his press conference that getting Daunte will not keep them from drafting a quarterback if it is the best player available, do not be surprised to see Miami take Omar Jacobs in the third round. Another name at quarterback to keep in mind is Ingle Martin from Furman.

As far as linemen go, Hudson Houck has personaly scouted Willie Colon from Hofstra, and the Dolphins have also shown a lot of interest in Albert Toiena from Tennessee.

Back
Top Bottom