Draft Coverage Market Research (please vote) | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Draft Coverage Market Research (please vote)

Which services would you sign up for? (You can vote for multiple options)

• Weekly/Twice-Weekly Email Newsletter: $5 per month (Feb, Mar, Apr)

Votes: 81 17.1%
  • Unprecedented Fan Access Through Q&A: $5 (for all three months)

Votes: 57 12.1%
  • Full Color Printed and Bound Draft Guide (Subscribers Only): $20 (plus S/H)

Votes: 64 13.5%
  • Full Color Printed and Bound Draft Guide (non-Subscribers): $30 (plus S/H)

Votes: 31 6.6%
  • Draft Weekend Chat Admission: $5 (Saturday & Sunday)

Votes: 44 9.3%
  • Are you guys nuts? Why would I want to pay you guys for Draft information?

Votes: 318 67.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Dolfan1000 said:
Also guys, according to the Sun-Sentinel, we entertained CB Will Allen today. Now, if signed, I could see us looking at SS in Round 1, as reports are Renaldo Hill was signed for the FS spot. So my question is this: Who is the best safety prospect that projects as a SS? Also, could Ernie Sims convert to that position, like ex-teammate Michael Boulware? Could he be a fit at #16?

I think Ernie is a linebacker, personally...and even though his size is not where we would like it, he would be a good/great weak side backer even in this defense. I don't think anyone moves him to safety and if they do I think it might be a mistake.

Jason Allen COULD play safety although I seem him as a hard hitting corner very much like Michael Huff. Allen could be taken at #16, and tho his future be at corner, he could start off at safety. Donte Whitner is the only Strong Safety type that really comes to mind in the 1st round. He's not got top level athleticism, but he's a tough, tough kid and has a lot of skills. I don't see us drafting him at #16, though.

Honestly Saban is filling up as many spots as he can it seems, in order to try and make it so that we can pick up whoever we feel is the most talented player at #16. If someone falls that just should not have fallen, you can bet we pick him up almost regardless of the position.

CK, you know I think this is a great idea, but why are you guys focusing only on the 'Fins? I really think you guys should try and take this thing league-wide as there is far more potential and with the talent of you and Boomer, I certainly think there would be a market for your knowledge.

If you guys were to do that, FinHeaven along with those other crappy Jets and Bills sites (:wink:) would certainly be a great springboard.

OurHeartAndSoul said:
I would be interested in the magazine, but at around 10 bucks. That's what I pay for the Sporting News draft mag every year and I'm happy with it.

Thank you for your input! We will be considering ALL options for this...and a $10 draft mag might be one of those options we consider. It would have to be a little lighter on the pages, because of printing costs.

It's really important that you guys let us know the sorts of things that you're interested in seeing because it helps us no end. We have the full backing of Andrew and George and the team at FH for which we are most thankful.

But it's being done for you because, as CK says, we're working our tails off year after year and it's clear that they're's some sort of market out there, but we need to know where it is so that we can best position ourselves to make YOU guys the happiest you can be with what WE'RE trying to provide.

You will be getting unprecedented analysis, with the emphasis on our Dolphins. We will be trying to add to our growing list of contacts to try and bring you the sorts of Miami related snippets that you won't see elsewhere - for example, did you know that the Dolphin contingent in Tallahassee for the FSU work out described Antonio Cromartie as "very impressive" and "looking as though he'd never been hurt". Couple this with the information that we gave more than 6 weeks ago, that Cromartie was one of the few players to have been dined by Coach Saban, Randy Mueller and Mel Phillips and you're looking at one of the super blue chip guys that we will be considering with the 16th pick.

The majority of you guys know Keith CK and myself from the Herald boards or Mouth Off or Prinzs Pro Prospects where Keith and I first met up and started out, more than a decade ago, from Dolfan Talk and Finheaven and Great Blue North, etc. etc. etc. Thus, you're getting a proven commodity. The sort of information that we've been giving in the VIP only better.

But THE single most important thing is you guys. You are our potential customers. You need to let US know what you think.

Thanks
Boomer.

Since I may actually be employed in 2007, I probably would be willing to pay $20 for good email coverage and a good chat going on during the draft. My biggest concern would be how strong the Dolphins focus would be. I make no apologies for my interests being more than just for the Dolphins on draft day -- I also use draft information as the start of my fantasy football preparation. I would hope for coverage of players the Dolphins aren't likely to pick.

Dolfan1000 said:
Also guys, according to the Sun-Sentinel, we entertained CB Will Allen today. Now, if signed, I could see us looking at SS in Round 1, as reports are Renaldo Hill was signed for the FS spot. So my question is this: Who is the best safety prospect that projects as a SS? Also, could Ernie Sims convert to that position, like ex-teammate Michael Boulware? Could he be a fit at #16?

Some teams have looked at Ernie at SS and it's an idea that CK and I floated here a while ago, but he was heavier again at the FSU pro day and says that he will be at 240 by the time the draft comes round without losing any speed. That's simply too big for a SS despite his ridiculously good foot speed. You would want him at LB where he can make plays and use that speed off the edge as well as in coverage.

HysterikiLL said:
CK, you know I think this is a great idea, but why are you guys focusing only on the 'Fins? I really think you guys should try and take this thing league-wide as there is far more potential and with the talent of you and Boomer, I certainly think there would be a market for your knowledge.

If you guys were to do that, FinHeaven along with those other crappy Jets and Bills sinks (:wink:) would certainly be a great springboard.

In short the Fins are our specialty, to be honest. We could roll out nationwide and we would especially with the Draft Guide, but as far as the newsletter, Q&A, and chat go, we're Phins fans, and we believe there's a market for professional grade commentary among phins fans...but if we're mistaken about that, we will adjust!

Thanks for your input! I believe the three of us are very much talented enough to make this work on whichever level we choose, but the question is how much time do we put into it vs. how much benefit.

Jimmy James said:
Since I may actually be employed in 2007, I probably would be willing to pay $20 for good email coverage and a good chat going on during the draft. My biggest concern would be how strong the Dolphins focus would be. I make no apologies for my interests being more than just for the Dolphins on draft day -- I also use draft information as the start of my fantasy football preparation. I would hope for coverage of players the Dolphins aren't likely to pick.

Jimmy, this is one of the things we need to decide. Is it best to concentrate specifically on Miami, a lot on Miami and a little elsewhere or a lot on Miami and lot elsewhere.

Jimmy James said:

That had to be the funniest comment in here.

The bottom line though is we know these players. You can ask us any damn thing you want and the chances are you're going to get a more intelligent reply than 95% of the sources out there because we know these players.

For the newsletter, I was thinking that this should be Fins-oriented. But do not expect that to be explicit in any way, just implicit. Personally, I favor the kind of guys that Nick Saban does because he seems to have made that WORK.

For the Draft Guide, the bottom line is we'd have reams and reams of commentary about EACH player. The Fins slant would only be when appropriate. It isn't as if we're going to ignore Ernie Sims as a prospect just because he's not in it for our team.

Boomer said:
Jimmy, this is one of the things we need to decide. Is it best to concentrate specifically on Miami, a lot on Miami and a little elsewhere or a lot on Miami and lot elsewhere.

Since you guys are asking, I would like to see about a 50-50 split. Give me about half of the coverage and commentary on the Miami/AFC East situation and about half of it on the other 7 divisions.

I do think it would be a good idea to open this up to the other AFC East teams because I do think that you have to cover the Bills, Jets, and Patriots to an extent in order to cover Miami anyway.

Dolfan1000 said:
Guys, first of all, I just want to thank you for all you do. You are all tremendous assets to this board and should be commended. Well done.

Those are certainly some interesting options, many of which worth considering. I personally really like the Draft Day Chat idea.

Now for my question: With the signing of Renaldo Hill, I get the impression Nick is looking for versatility in his players, but particularly DBs. Now, with this in mind, looks like a guy like Jimmy Williams could be our target in Round 1. Agree or disagree? Also, with the possibility of Atlanta dealing their #1 for Abraham, it looks like the possibility of him being available there is substantially higher.

Thanks.

I think Hill's knowledge of the system and versatility and ST work is the important factor here. Jimmy Williams and Vince Young are the two oddest fish in this draft. Young I find hard to put anywhere, but Williams is the same. As someone recently said, million dollar body, $10 head. I looked deeply into Jimmy's past for an in-depth piece in the VIP, the sort of piece that we'd be rolling out with this proposal, and I found a kid who was immature in extremis, but who had worked hard and gained the trust of his coaches and teammates on what had been clearly at times a rocky path. But after the Combine interviews where he was described as "emotionally unstable" and with the tweener label - I think he's a safety not a corner - then he's hard to get a handle on. Is he a target for Miami? Sure. Is he top of the target list? I'd be very surprised. I think Miami might have as many as 6 corners rated above him - Allen, Youboty, Cromartie, Huff, Joseph and Marshall.

We shall see.

HysterikiLL said:

If you guys were to do that, FinHeaven along with those other crappy Jets and Bills sites (:wink:) would certainly be a great springboard.

That is something that has been discussed and will continue to be discussed. The thinking right now is that we need to start with a more narrowed base and maybe expand it to a more league wide system as we get feedback.

What we'll probably do is some sort of narrower based thing this year, some articles, newsletters possibly or maybe just do a 'last week of the draft' series of chats/newsletters, then a huge draft day bonanza and then really get into the groove for 2007 and roll out something really special.

We're undecided of course, but we shall see.

60% of you so far think we're nuts and wouldn't pay for any info.

That's cool. All helps with the knowledge.

Keep the questions flowing. It's a little late in England so Boomer's retiring for the night, but KB21 and I would be all too happy to field your questions about the draft and other things!

Back
Top Bottom