Drew Rosenhaus: Why the Dolphins are looking hard at WRs in this draft

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by jim1, Apr 21, 2014.

1. jim1

jim1 Pro Bowler

From WSVN channel 7 south Florida last night 11:30-

Rosenhaus: Miami is spending significant time looking at WRs and bringing them in for visits for one simple reason- it's a great year to draft a WR, a very deep class. That's it, that's why all the interest.

I think that he's right- to what extent the Wallace contract and a desire to upgrade from Hartline and his $6 million a year contract after 2014, who knows. But the 1st 2-3 rounds have plenty of quality WRs to choose from- Lee, Cooks, Bekham, Moncrief, Matthews, Bryant, Benjamin, Adams, Robinson.

I still think that we go OL and WR in the 1st 2 rounds, the question is in what order. And actually, the OL and Wr positions are so deep that my darkhorse would be to squeeze OLB Kyle VAn Noy in at rd 2 if available, then go OL and WR in rds 1 and 3. Depending on the board, take the best WR or OL in rd 1 and then take the other position in rd 3.

2. finsfanjay13

finsfanjay13 Rookie Donator

I've been saying this all along. Too good of a receiver class to ignore. I understand "needs", but I also think about the future beyond year 1. And I personally think that the wide receiver position may provide the best value this year, especially at pick #50. Though you will not hear me complain about them grabbing one at #19. I think it'll just depend on how the draft falls.

3. Canadi-Phin

Canadi-Phin I hate everyone else in the AFC East

I think we all admire Hartline and most of us understand what and who he is as a player. He is very dependable and solid. Nothing spectacular unfortunately. He is a great 3rd receiver who happens to be our 2nd. That's fine. He doesn't suck at it he's just not great at it. Having a 3 receiver set of Wallace, Lee, and Hartline makes me giggle inside. I think Lee might be one of the mot undervalued players in this draft. Only because this draft is so strong is he not being thought of in the Top 5-10. Guy runs great routes, catches the ball, runs away from people, breaks tackles and has been doing it consistently for 3 years. Look at his partner in crime. Woods had a solid year last year with 40 catches and 587 yards receiving with 3 tds. He had some of the worst and inconsistent QB play in the league. Lee is better, imo, way better.

4. hoops

hoops exited stage left

it was a good receiver class in 2013 not as good as this one admittedly and they ignored the hell out of it...i smell smoke...it's that time of the process to be hearing it too

5. Canadi-Phin

Canadi-Phin I hate everyone else in the AFC East

I agree but I'm hoping its the double agent smoke screen. Where we want others to think its a smokescreen and then draft one. Value at 19 is going to be at receiver.

6. datruth55

datruth55 Starter Finheaven VIP

That was Ireland who didn't like drafting skill players early.

7. hoops

hoops exited stage left

true...if ireland was here you can damn well bet that top pick would be a right tackle...set your watch to it even...still the timing of this wr interest has me wondering

8. finsfanjay13

finsfanjay13 Rookie Donator

I was screaming for one last year, just as I am this year.

9. fininpsl

fininpsl A True Fan

I agree the timing is weird, but if this is a very deep WR draft and Hickey is true to what he says about drafting BPA over need then there's a really good chance that the BPA at 19 is going to be a WR. I'm starting to believe this is less smoke, and more substance. IMHO WR is definitely on Fins radar.

10. Pat-London

Pat-London A True Fan

I agree, but how much does having a different GM mean to all of this?

11. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

It's a passing league and the goal of this offseason should be putting talent around Ryan Tannehill. Look how Indianapolis drafted with Peyton Manning early in his career and what Denver has assembled on offense around Peyton.

The Dolphins have no running game, one of the worst offensive lines in football (better with the signing of Albert) and an average group of wide receivers. It just makes so much sense in a draft loaded at the wide receiver position to get one of the top guys. I would love to see Miami get Mosley or Shazier in R1, but if the team goes in another direction and takes Cooks or Lee I would be pretty happy.

I think Miami can get starting offensive lineman in R2 and R3.

12. ONole1

ONole1 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Many reasons to look at WR, deep class, passing league, cap reasons, but you can't ignore Miami has three WR's coming off season ending knee injuries as well.

13. LANGER72

LANGER72 A True Fan

Even discussing a WR is so un-Ireland, having a different GM is so refreshing.
    I would take Mosely at 19, and draft a WR with the 2nd

14. Fin Thirteen

Fin Thirteen FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

It's deep, but like any draft, that doesn't mean any player from r1 to r7 will be a home run. I like the guys they're bringing in, Moncrief, Bryant and Beckham are three of the most worthwhile investments in the draft at the position, from my viewing of this class.

Yes, there is quality right through to guys like Norwood, who in another draft might go in the third or fourth. But not every player, even in the higher rounds, is a guaranteed stud, so you have to do your DD and spend your picks wisely on this rich seam of receiver talent.

15. PHINSfan

PHINSfan FinHeaven VIP

Another thing that is intriguing is the fact that as of late they have been bringing in tackles to Davie that are projected to later rounds. I would not be too surprised if they did indeed went for a WR with the 1st Rnd.

16. nick1

nick1 I am Groot Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

I actually want a WR or TE early we need an extra weapon on offense so we can explode but the oline can't be overlooKed either

17. where's th'fish

where's th'fish Scout Team Donator

You can't make talent up. If you look at past drafts, you'll find sometimes there's very little to be had at certain positions, much more at others. If you don't take what is there and try to fill your needs anyway, you will get burned. I hope we do the smart thing.

18. Jupiter561

Jupiter561 Banned Hammered

I agree. Way to much talent in the draft to not do our due diligence.

Samsung Galaxy S III

19. Retnuhrace

Retnuhrace Seasoned Veteran

Another reason for this may be that they're not sure what they're gonna get with Gibson coming off of his major knee injury.

20. Roman529

Roman529 Moon Runner / The 3 AM Crew

Todd McShay also thinks Miami might end up taking a WR at #19, because he thinks the top Offensive Lineman are going to be off the board, and we may have a tough time trading down if that is the case. I like Marqise Lee, but I like Brandin Cooks at WR even more. Watch the way this somewhat smaller (5'10", 190 lbs, 4.33 in the 40) WR can catch the ball in traffic, even with a couple guys draped all over him. He's also always been durable. This is why I would love Brandin Cooks. Watch this video:

[video=youtube;XfnYcEOHqCk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfnYcEOHqCk[/video]

21. BlueFin

BlueFin Seer of Visions Finheaven VIP

Could it be that they are bring everybody but Cooks in as a smokescreen? They know what these guys can do.....The Jets are looking in the same place one pick ahead of them.

22. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer 5 Years of Posting Excellence. Finheaven VIP Donator

Brian Hartline = Drew Rosenhaus client.

23. Gonzo

Gonzo Widerstand Administrator Finheaven VIP Donator

No way. He'd definitely need to address DT after losing Soliai. RT 2nd round. S 3rd round....skip to WR 6th round. All would actually start some games in 2016.

24. futurescout

futurescout Well-Known Member

If they go WR first round, I hope it's Brandin Cooks.