Dwayne Jarrett Blows It | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dwayne Jarrett Blows It

You must have me mistaken with someone else......
:lol: I read the whole thread so I know your other concerns.

My point was simple. Some teams put too much emphasis on 40 times and predraft workouts and use the 40 time as a measuring stick which I think teams might weigh in that factor a little too strongly when ranking players, especially WRs.

2001 was a prime example where based on a workout, Chad Johnson fell, based on I believe a 4.6, and Freddie Mitchell rose up draft boards, based on a 4.4 I believe. Im sure the Eagles wished they took Chad Johnson over Freddie Mitchell. Heck, if you check Kiper's mock draft in 2001, he had Chad Johnson originally going to the Eagles.

And I do believe Chad Johnson ran 4.4's consistently in a private workout with the Bengals.... however those numbers, IIRC, we not what every other team in the NFL had in his scouting report.

Also, as Im sure I dont need to bring this up, Jerry Rice ran a 4.7 Although Im not comparing Jarrett to Rice at all, San Fran was smart enough to trade up to get Rice despite this pre-draft 40 time.

How often are players running (without pads) in a game on a straight 40 yard dash at full speed ahead...... usually either after they have broken something and have a straight shot to the endzone or when something bad happens and they need to chase down a player.

Jerry Rice's times in the 40 (4.62 & 4.67) was the exact same as Dwayne Jarrett. The difference is Jerry ran his on grass while Dwayne ran his on FieldTurf.

I agree San Fran was smart enough to trade up for Rice despite his combine 40 time. Jerry Rice didn't have the luxury of going to pre-draft camps like players today does. Rice was also far and away the best player at the 1985 Senior Bowl. He made some of the best college CBs look very average on game day.

Jarrett would be Marty Booker's natural successor -- the long-term answer for our No. 2 receiver. And with Booker's age and injury problems last year having Jarrett as a split end is useful and he has with the immediate ability to be used as a No. 3 red zone slot receiver as well. Derek Hagan, if he improves his catching, can play his natural X position or maybe some Z/slot hybrid since he is quick in his routes.

And what you are really saying is that Chambers best position is as a No. 3 receiver. So Chambers and Jarrett can share the slot position this year when the Dolphins go to multiple wide receivers based on the coverage/style of cornerbacks and field position.

As an added bonus, Jarrett as a second rounder doesn't wildly unbalance out salary cap at WR. Chambers and Booker are third and fifth top players in taking in salary cap space, and the salary cap issue is worrisome if we pick Ginn as a top 10 pick with its high salary. Ginn is the one who may lead someone getting cut because of this issue not Jarrett.

I don't agree, because I think Hagan can be a choppy route runner and I don't think he possesses the quick hands to play the slot or the speed to play that open Z. But it's an interesting point made about the financial side of things, which of course bear watching. But Hagan really is the natural x and the natural successor to Jarrett. A better route runner, with lesser hands.

I don't see who would get cut to allow Ginn to play other than camp fodder like Hakim and Campbell.

I don't think he's that strong. I don't see a guy strong enough to beat that tough press coverage. Watch how guys play off him at USC. When a DB gets in is face, generally, he really struggles. Yes he made plays at USC and he has good hands, but I don't see it. He's not a great route runner and whilst he can go up and grab the ball, I'm not sure how succesful he'll be.

And as for us picking him at 40......you have to think how much longer you plan on playing Booker and what you think of Hagan. Don't see it.

Of course now, he'll be a Hall of Famer.

Cheers for the analysis mate, I think Dwayne Bowe is the class receiver in this draft anyway, obviously behind Calvin Johnson.

Jerry Rice's times in the 40 (4.62 & 4.67) was the exact same as Dwayne Jarrett. The difference is Jerry ran his on grass while Dwayne ran his on FieldTurf.

I agree San Fran was smart enough to trade up for Rice despite his combine 40 time. Jerry Rice didn't have the luxury of going to pre-draft camps like players today does. Rice was also far and away the best player at the 1985 Senior Bowl. He made some of the best college CBs look very average on game day.

I wasnt trying to compare them because Jerry Rice blows any receiver in the NFL out of the water. Also, you can make the argument that in 1985, the NFL wasnt as fast as it is now, no pre-draft camps, less training, different surfaces, etc, so the 40 time probably didnt carry as much magnitude as it does today. DJ is nowhere near the route runner or complete WR that Jerry Rice was...... I just brought it up to show that the 40 times arent the end all measuring stick in the NFL when it comes to determining which players are going to be successful and which arent.

I wasnt trying to compare them because Jerry Rice blows any receiver in the NFL out of the water. Also, you can make the argument that in 1985, the NFL wasnt as fast as it is now, no pre-draft camps, less training, different surfaces, etc, so the 40 time probably didnt carry as much magnitude as it does today. DJ is nowhere near the route runner or complete WR that Jerry Rice was...... I just brought it up to show that the 40 times arent the end all measuring stick in the NFL when it comes to determining which players are going to be successful and which arent.

I understand where you are coming from. Like with Chad Johnson, what he did durig the private workout with Cincinnati mirrored what they saw of him on tape. That's why they took a chance on him in the 2nd round.

The better talent evaluators only uses the 40 time as one part of their overall evaluation of a player.

Even if Jarrett's time pushes him out of the 1st round, you can bet the Oakland Raiders drafts him at the beginning of the 2nd if they don't draft Calvin Johnson at #1.

Mueller's comments on Jarrett

From Daily Breeze
http://www.dailybreeze.com/sports/articles/6764032.html

"He's a football player," said Miami Dolphins general manager Randy Mueller, who dismissed comparisons between Jarrett and former USC receiver Mike Williams, who has flopped with Detroit. "That's a prime example of 'just watch the film.' He has one of the better sets of hands that you'll ever see. He's a big man and he catches it when he's covered. Those are all good things. Who knows how he'll turn out, but this guy's got the skins on the wall.

"When he does get covered, you can't underestimate how big the man is, so he can catch it when he's covered. He's going to be a really good red-zone target because of that.

"Again, it's about taking a guy's skill set and putting him in a position where his strengths are accentuated. You aren't going to ask him to run by corners all day."

I understand where you are coming from. Like with Chad Johnson, what he did durig the private workout with Cincinnati mirrored what they saw of him on tape. That's why they took a chance on him in the 2nd round.

The better talent evaluators only uses the 40 time as one part of their overall evaluation of a player.

Even if Jarrett's time pushes him out of the 1st round, you can bet the Oakland Raiders drafts him at the beginning of the 2nd if they don't draft Calvin Johnson at #1.

Couldnt agree more with what I bolded.... however it seems that the lesser talent evaluators, like armchair QBs on a message board such as myself and people who make mock drafts, tend to put much more weight into a 40 time.

A bunch of other people have touched on this subject when looking at WRs... its important to see where they would fit in Miami. I know some peoples's main gripe is that we dont really have a Flanker WR on the roster, which I agree with.... but we also need to take into consideration that we are changing offensive schemes. I tend to look at what type of WR Cameron was successful with in San Diego and think he might look towards that type here in Miami...... I think Miami lacks a big physical WR, which San Diego had in Vincent Jackson last year and someone please correct me, but I believe Jackson led their WRs in TDs last year. Chambers is best served working out of the slot but I think can also play the flanker position in 2 WR sets and Booker is a journeyman split end. The question to me is Hagan. I believe Hagan is more of a split end but we also need to remember, Hagan is from the Saban regime. Does this regime see Hagan as Booker's replacement at split end..... if they dont, then we might be looking at Flankers at split ends in this years upcoming draft. Also, what do they think of Chambers...... personally, I dont believe that a WR who is only successful out of the slot should be making as much as Chambers does.....

Couldnt agree more with what I bolded.... however it seems that the lesser talent evaluators, like armchair QBs on a message board such as myself and people who make mock drafts, tend to put much more weight into a 40 time.

A bunch of other people have touched on this subject when looking at WRs... its important to see where they would fit in Miami. I know some peoples's main gripe is that we dont really have a Flanker WR on the roster, which I agree with.... but we also need to take into consideration that we are changing offensive schemes. I tend to look at what type of WR Cameron was successful with in San Diego and think he might look towards that type here in Miami...... I think Miami lacks a big physical WR, which San Diego had in Vincent Jackson last year and someone please correct me, but I believe Jackson led their WRs in TDs last year. Chambers is best served working out of the slot but I think can also play the flanker position in 2 WR sets and Booker is a journeyman split end. The question to me is Hagan. I believe Hagan is more of a split end but we also need to remember, Hagan is from the Saban regime. Does this regime see Hagan as Booker's replacement at split end..... if they dont, then we might be looking at Flankers at split ends in this years upcoming draft. Also, what do they think of Chambers...... personally, I dont believe that a WR who is only successful out of the slot should be making as much as Chambers does.....

The type of WRs Cameron had in San Diego is not really indicative of the WRs he prefers. While Vincent Jackson did lead the WRs in TD receptions, he wasn't the fulltime starter. Keenan McCardell was the leading receiver coming into last season but injuries limited his production.

Chambers inconsistencies mirrors the inconsistencies of the offense. Some people just don't realize how difficult it is to be playing in a different offensive system almost every year. Not to mention with a different QB who strengths in the passing game may not play to your strengths as a receiver. Look at how Booker struggled his first two years here in Miami. Terry Robiskie will get the best out of whomever we have at WR this year because he will make them work their fins off to get better.

Back
Top Bottom