Dwayne Jarrett Blows It | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dwayne Jarrett Blows It

i wouldnt mind jarret in the second round.I think despite his 40 time.... he has football speed b/c as u watch the games, he runs away from people as Dolfan11 and Boomer said.He ran away from the notre dame and michigan defense this past year.He catches everything his way and people say he has weight issues...... hes freakn 214 pounds .... calvin johnson is 239 ..he might be lazy but hes not overweight.

i wouldnt mind jarret in the second round.I think despite his 40 time.... he has football speed b/c as u watch the games, he runs away from people as Dolfan11 and Boomer said.He ran away from the notre dame and michigan defense this past year.He catches everything his way and people say he has weight issues...... hes freakn 214 pounds .... calvin johnson is 239 ..he might be lazy but hes not overweight.

Jarrett doesn't pose good value for us at #40. Maybe #60, but nowhere before that should he even be in consideration. We need a flanker. We have two split ends, and people capable of the slot already.

I think Hall generally, had a very disappointing senior season, considering the body of work previous to that. I don't think anyone covered themselves in glory in that Michigan secondary in that game and I think perhaps Hall bore the brunt of that because of his talent, fairly or unfairly. But I think people saying "yeah he was rubbish, Jarrett had a ton of catches and yards on Hall" is just patently wrong.

Unfortunately there's a number of people on the boards who like to spew invectorate around about players based on things that they're heard other people say, rather than judge it for themselves.

Is that a word? If it is it's a great word? What does it mean?

I don't think he's that strong. I don't see a guy strong enough to beat that tough press coverage. Watch how guys play off him at USC. When a DB gets in is face, generally, he really struggles

this is true. Fresno State shut him down easily in their game by pressing WRs. Of course Bush went wild but SC's WRs were awful in that game because of the defensive scheme

Actually, he was supposedly telling all the scouts at the combine that he would.

EDIT--Stitches beat me too it :D

I'm sure he did tell the scouts that, but I wonder who would actually believe him? Like I said, I've had him pegged as a 4.6 guy for a while now and I'm sure the scouts know more than I do. I don't think they altered they expectations based on Jarrett's rhetoric.

After reading the thread, I have to give this post the award for best actual fact. I remember that draft, the Eddie Moore draft as I like to call it. Or when Wanns made the comment a few days before, a 2nd round pick next year is a third round pick this year. This is when he traded our second to the Pats for their third. Taylor Whitley and Wade Smith worked wonders for us. Anyway, Kelley Washington was also drafted that year I believe. Anquan Bolding was a 1st round talent, dropped to the second, and look at him now. He has plenty of seperation. If you watch Jarrett against Leon Hall, he shows great game speed. Speed is not everything. For all you Wes Welker fans, there's a guy with absolutely no break away speed, and look at how he has done so far after being undrafted. If we get a chance in the second round for Jarrett, that would be awesome, and we should take it. Derek Hagan looked lost last year, and I feel this is a great top part of the draft wide receiver class. I am not saying #9 is where to take a WR, because I only believe CJ is worth a top ten pick, I believe he's the #1 player. With guys like Rice, Ginn, Meachem, Steve Smith, Dwayne Jarrett, Bowe, all are worthy of a 2nd round pick if they fall. I think Meachem is going to be a great player, the only thing that scares me if our last two Tennessee picks, ouch. Let's just hope whoever we draft, they don't go off to Atlanta and buy mansions while training camp is going on. What a punk. We need more picks like Ronnie Brown and Channing Crowder. Great players, classy guys, great team players.

Mate, Boldin was never a first round talent. He was a guy who'd flitted back and forth from QB to WR. His seperation comes from disciplined route running, strength to defeat the press and very good break quickness.

Welker is the same. First of all, a slot guy who tends to end up in a match-up that a team likes and similarly, he's quick and he's disciplined. So I don't get your point.

So what you're advocating is that because Hagan struggled some last year, we should replace him? I bet the Bills wished they'd done that when Moulds struggled as a rookie. And the Steelers fans when Polamalu did the same, etc.

But clearly you are advocating that if a player doesn't show up in year 1. he's a bust, hence your comment about UT players, referring to Jason Allen.

And Ronnie and Crowder 'great' players?? Please. There is one 'great' running back in the NFL and that's Tomlinson.

HEY BOOMER!

Whats up man! Why dont you give everyone a little lesson on what happened with the WR situation during the 2001 draft. Wasnt there an all pro now who ran 2 tenths of a second slower than thought at the combine so teams took David Terrell, Koren Robinson, Rod Gardner, and Freddie Mitchell ahead of him....... and wasnt Freddie Mitchell JUMPING up draft boards after his excellent workout and his 4.4 40. I hear FredEx makes a mean Whopper Jr.

Im thinking of the #36 pick in the draft.... his slower 40 time didnt seem to screw Cincy in the long run, eh?

Who then ran 4.38's in his workout with the Bengals, so, as usual, I'm not sure of your point.

Clearly you musn't have read the thread if you think my only concern is just his speed. But then knowing you as I do, that doesn't surprise me.

He may be lazy, He may be a jerk, but I've seen the game tape. He can play. Period Point Blank End of Story.

DJ still might be a late first, but his numbers aren't shocking. I don't see him beig the next Mike Williams though. Jarrett doesn't have a great work ethic, but he is not as bad as Williams is/was.

It also doesn't help Jarrett that CJ posted better numbers than expected, and guys like Meachum and Bowe watch their stock rise by the minute it seems (Ginn is hard to predict though because he hasn't worked out, but he will go round 1, Rice is also hard to predict because of how raw he is).

I think the reason so many people are shocked though is most of ya'll had him as an option at 9.

DJ still might be a late first, but his numbers aren't shocking. I don't see him beig the next Mike Williams though. Jarrett doesn't have a great work ethic, but he is not as bad as Williams is/was.

It also doesn't help Jarrett that CJ posted better numbers than expected, and guys like Meachum and Bowe watch their stock rise by the minute it seems (Ginn is hard to predict though because he hasn't worked out, but he will go round 1, Rice is also hard to predict because of how raw he is).

I think the reason so many people are shocked though is most of ya'll had him as an option at 9.

I think you should quantify that better. :lol:

As for featuring in Miami's system, where do you play him? We're set at split end, the best position for Chambers is the slot and we need a flanker. Jarrett isn't a flanker.

Jarrett would be Marty Booker's natural successor -- the long-term answer for our No. 2 receiver. And with Booker's age and injury problems last year having Jarrett as a split end is useful and he has with the immediate ability to be used as a No. 3 red zone slot receiver as well. Derek Hagan, if he improves his catching, can play his natural X position or maybe some Z/slot hybrid since he is quick in his routes.

And what you are really saying is that Chambers best position is as a No. 3 receiver. So Chambers and Jarrett can share the slot position this year when the Dolphins go to multiple wide receivers based on the coverage/style of cornerbacks and field position.

As an added bonus, Jarrett as a second rounder doesn't wildly unbalance out salary cap at WR. Chambers and Booker are third and fifth top players in taking in salary cap space, and the salary cap issue is worrisome if we pick Ginn as a top 10 pick with its high salary. Ginn is the one who may lead someone getting cut because of this issue not Jarrett.

Jarrett would be Marty Booker's natural successor -- the long-term answer for our No. 2 receiver. And with Booker's age and injury problems last year having Jarrett as a split end is useful and he has with the immediate ability to be used as a No. 3 red zone slot receiver as well. Derek Hagan, if he improves his catching, can play his natural X position or maybe some Z/slot hybrid since he is quick in his routes.

And what you are really saying is that Chambers best position is as a No. 3 receiver. So Chambers and Jarrett can share the slot position this year when the Dolphins go to multiple wide receivers based on the coverage/style of cornerbacks and field position.

As an added bonus, Jarrett as a second rounder doesn't wildly unbalance out salary cap at WR. Chambers and Booker are third and fifth top players in taking in salary cap space, and the salary cap issue is worrisome if we pick Ginn as a top 10 pick with its high salary. Ginn is the one who may lead someone getting cut because of this issue not Jarrett.

Jarret is not dropping to the 2nd round, even if he ran a 5.9 , he was too good in college to be ignored by some teams that need a good possesion receiver late in the first round.

Who then ran 4.38's in his workout with the Bengals, so, as usual, I'm not sure of your point.

Clearly you musn't have read the thread if you think my only concern is just his speed. But then knowing you as I do, that doesn't surprise me.
You must have me mistaken with someone else......
:lol: I read the whole thread so I know your other concerns.

My point was simple. Some teams put too much emphasis on 40 times and predraft workouts and use the 40 time as a measuring stick which I think teams might weigh in that factor a little too strongly when ranking players, especially WRs.

2001 was a prime example where based on a workout, Chad Johnson fell, based on I believe a 4.6, and Freddie Mitchell rose up draft boards, based on a 4.4 I believe. Im sure the Eagles wished they took Chad Johnson over Freddie Mitchell. Heck, if you check Kiper's mock draft in 2001, he had Chad Johnson originally going to the Eagles.

And I do believe Chad Johnson ran 4.4's consistently in a private workout with the Bengals.... however those numbers, IIRC, we not what every other team in the NFL had in his scouting report.

Also, as Im sure I dont need to bring this up, Jerry Rice ran a 4.7 Although Im not comparing Jarrett to Rice at all, San Fran was smart enough to trade up to get Rice despite this pre-draft 40 time.

How often are players running (without pads) in a game on a straight 40 yard dash at full speed ahead...... usually either after they have broken something and have a straight shot to the endzone or when something bad happens and they need to chase down a player.

Jarret is not dropping to the 2nd round, even if he ran a 5.9 , he was too good in college to be ignored by some teams that need a good possesion receiver late in the first round.

I bit of an over-exaggeration there. If he ran in the 5's he'd be past second round. If he ran close to 6's I doubt he'd get drafted.

Back
Top Bottom