Dwayne Jarrett Blows It | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dwayne Jarrett Blows It

It sounds like this guy should be a TE not a WR. Doesn't he have weight issue too?

I don't think he has a weight issue at all. He's 214lbs at 6'4. That's not an issue for me at all. He also doesn't have a hands issue or a body control issue. He can play, no doubt about it, but what I see on tape over and over, worries me. You can't deny the body of work - his TD ratio is excellent, but it has to be looked at in context.

By saying, as people have, that he "owned" Leon Hall, just because he had a big game against Michigan, is wrong.

I don't think he has a weight issue at all. He's 214lbs at 6'4. That's not an issue for me at all. He also doesn't have a hands issue or a body control issue. He can play, no doubt about it, but what I see on tape over and over, worries me. You can't deny the body of work - his TD ratio is excellent, but it has to be looked at in context.

By saying, as people have, that he "owned" Leon Hall, just because he had a big game against Michigan, is wrong.

I must admit though, that game worries me about Leon Hall.

The guys on Sirius NFL radio have had Leon on a few times that I have caught, and the first thing that always gets brought up was that game and how bad he looked versus Dwayne Jarrett, of which he does not deny having a bad game, however, he seems to hint at the real problem being a more strategic one in how they lined up and the gameplan they were using on how to stop USC, he seemed to blame the DC.

I don't think he has a weight issue at all. He's 214lbs at 6'4. That's not an issue for me at all.

I should clarify. By weight issue I meant that I heard his weight fluctuates up and down. Not that he's heavy right now. I don't have a problem with a 6'4", 214LBS WR. Now if he was 5'9" and weighed that much that would be different...

Boldin and Jarret are 2 completely different recievers in my opinion. Boldin is a run after the catch guy which Jarret really isnt. Jarret doesnt maul over CBs, he cant even seperate from one. Jarret is 6-5 210 and Boldin is 6-1 230. Boldin consistently breaks tackles which I have not seen from Jarret nor I think he can do once hes a pro

Understood. Watch some highlight clips of Jarrett and you're going to tell me that on the field, when it counts the most, he doesn't run away from the defense after he catches the ball? This particular clip I found doesn't show that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUU_A9ZTmyk

Sure he ran a slow 40, but that doesn't take away his route running ability and catching skills. Point is, I think if he's there at 40 and we haven't taken a WR, I say we snatch him up.

What's the big deal here fellas? I think anyone who watched college football this past year knew Jarrett wasn't that fast and this was the time range he was expected to run in. I don't think anyone expected him to run a 4.4, so let's not pretend this is a big deal.

I must admit though, that game worries me about Leon Hall.

The guys on Sirius NFL radio have had Leon on a few times that I have caught, and the first thing that always gets brought up was that game and how bad he looked versus Dwayne Jarrett, of which he does not deny having a bad game, however, he seems to hint at the real problem being a more strategic one in how they lined up and the gameplan they were using on how to stop USC, he seemed to blame the DC.

I think Hall generally, had a very disappointing senior season, considering the body of work previous to that. I don't think anyone covered themselves in glory in that Michigan secondary in that game and I think perhaps Hall bore the brunt of that because of his talent, fairly or unfairly. But I think people saying "yeah he was rubbish, Jarrett had a ton of catches and yards on Hall" is just patently wrong.

Unfortunately there's a number of people on the boards who like to spew invectorate around about players based on things that they're heard other people say, rather than judge it for themselves.

Anquan Boldin ran a 4.72 at the combine. I think Jarrett is a physicaly dominant WR. Speed isn't his game. I think him dropping to the second round would be great considering we don't draft a WR prior to him.

4.3 guys that year? Tyron Calico, Kevin Curtis, Bethel Johnson, just to name a few from a quick search.

After reading the thread, I have to give this post the award for best actual fact. I remember that draft, the Eddie Moore draft as I like to call it. Or when Wanns made the comment a few days before, a 2nd round pick next year is a third round pick this year. This is when he traded our second to the Pats for their third. Taylor Whitley and Wade Smith worked wonders for us. Anyway, Kelley Washington was also drafted that year I believe. Anquan Bolding was a 1st round talent, dropped to the second, and look at him now. He has plenty of seperation. If you watch Jarrett against Leon Hall, he shows great game speed. Speed is not everything. For all you Wes Welker fans, there's a guy with absolutely no break away speed, and look at how he has done so far after being undrafted. If we get a chance in the second round for Jarrett, that would be awesome, and we should take it. Derek Hagan looked lost last year, and I feel this is a great top part of the draft wide receiver class. I am not saying #9 is where to take a WR, because I only believe CJ is worth a top ten pick, I believe he's the #1 player. With guys like Rice, Ginn, Meachem, Steve Smith, Dwayne Jarrett, Bowe, all are worthy of a 2nd round pick if they fall. I think Meachem is going to be a great player, the only thing that scares me if our last two Tennessee picks, ouch. Let's just hope whoever we draft, they don't go off to Atlanta and buy mansions while training camp is going on. What a punk. We need more picks like Ronnie Brown and Channing Crowder. Great players, classy guys, great team players.

HEY BOOMER!

Whats up man! Why dont you give everyone a little lesson on what happened with the WR situation during the 2001 draft. Wasnt there an all pro now who ran 2 tenths of a second slower than thought at the combine so teams took David Terrell, Koren Robinson, Rod Gardner, and Freddie Mitchell ahead of him....... and wasnt Freddie Mitchell JUMPING up draft boards after his excellent workout and his 4.4 40. I hear FredEx makes a mean Whopper Jr.

Im thinking of the #36 pick in the draft.... his slower 40 time didnt seem to screw Cincy in the long run, eh?

HEY BOOMER!

Whats up man! Why dont you give everyone a little lesson on what happened with the WR situation during the 2001 draft. Wasnt there an all pro now who ran 2 tenths of a second slower than thought at the combine so teams took David Terrell, Koren Robinson, Rod Gardner, and Freddie Mitchell ahead of him....... and wasnt Freddie Mitchell JUMPING up draft boards after his excellent workout and his 4.4 40. I hear FredEx makes a mean Whopper Jr.

Im thinking of the #36 pick in the draft.... his slower 40 time didnt seem to screw Cincy in the long run, eh?

As I wrote earlier in this thread. Steve Mooshagian the Cincinnati Bengals WRs coach said he timed Chad Johnson in a series of 40s at 4.36, 4.38, 4.41 and 4.42.

These times confirmed what they saw of him on tape.

As I wrote earlier in this thread. Steve Mooshagian the Cincinnati Bengals WRs coach said he timed Chad Johnson in a series of 40s at 4.36, 4.38, 4.41 and 4.42.

These times confirmed what they saw of him on tape.

So one coach had him in the 4.3's and nearly every other scout in the entire combine had him in the 4.6 range? What does that prove about anything, unless you are trying to show that 40 times are unreliable, which would only help Jarrett's case.

So one coach had him in the 4.3's and nearly every other scout in the entire combine had him in the 4.6 range? What does that prove about anything, unless you are trying to show that 40 times are unreliable, which would only help Jarrett's case.

The one coach who timed Johnson in the 4.3s coaches on the one team that drafted him. Chad's time also confirmed what they saw on tape.

Players often run slower 40 times at the combine for various reasons. They wore the wrong shoes or they were overwhelmed by the experience. Put them in more relaxed environment, such as Reggie Nelson this year, and their times improves dramatically.

Dwayne Jarrett has been compared, somewhat inaccurately IMO, to former USC WR Mike Williams who dominated the Pac-10 DBs in much the same way Jarrett did. When Williams ran in the 4.6s at his Pro Day and subsequently lack of success in the NFL, people automatically thinks the same of Jarrett. This is why his somewhat slow 40 time hurts him.

What's the big deal here fellas? I think anyone who watched college football this past year knew Jarrett wasn't that fast and this was the time range he was expected to run in. I don't think anyone expected him to run a 4.4, so let's not pretend this is a big deal.

Jarrett months ago said he would run in the 4.4s though, and he even got an extra month to prepare from the combine.

Jarrett months ago said he would run in the 4.4s though, and he even got an extra month to prepare from the combine.

Well obviously the players tend to exaggerate their own times. But did any scouts really expect him to run a 4.4? I doubt it. I figured him for the mid 4.6's and I'm just a casual fan. He's obviously not a burner, that's not his game.

Actually, he was supposedly telling all the scouts at the combine that he would.

EDIT--Stitches beat me too it :D

Well obviously the players tend to exaggerate their own times. But did any scouts really expect him to run a 4.4? I doubt it. I figured him for the mid 4.6's and I'm just a casual fan. He's obviously not a burner, that's not his game.

I'm certain many scouts expected him to run at least as well as Dwayne Bowe and Sidney Rice, considering the extra time he had and all his talk.

The results further back up the claims about his poor work ethic.

Back
Top Bottom