Early BCS predictions | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Early BCS predictions

There has been some talk that the Rose Bowl would take the Irish if Ohio State were to lose to Michigan and USC ended up in the championship game," Catlett said. "I don't know how they'd feel about a Michigan-Notre Dame rematch. It's hard to believe they'd break their ties with the Pac-10."

But if Cal loses to USC Saturday, it's going to be difficult for the Pac-10 runner-up -- either Cal or Oregon, to meet the requisite requirement of being in the BCS Top 14. Likewise, Wisconsin, even at 11-1, would be left on the outside

Seems to me like that Rose Bowl would be OSU vs ND and a Michigan vs USC championship game.

"The bowls don't care who the best team is outside of 1 vs. 2," Catlett said. "Outside of that, the rest of us are trying to get good, deserving teams that put people in the stands, give us good television ratings so that our title sponsor is happy and so we can write those big checks to the schools.

"The beauty of Notre Dame is the same thing with the Dallas Cowboys. Everybody in America that's a college football fan either loves Notre Dame or hates Notre Dame. Nobody has a neutral opinion about Notre Dame. And from a bowl's perspective, what better scenario can you have?

"People who love them are going to watch them on TV, and the people who want to see them get beat are going to watch them on TV. Either way, they get the highest ratings. And that's why whenever I get a chance to put them in my bowl game, I do it."

I just recently started considering if ND would get a BCS game if they lost another close game to USC, this article seems to think it's almost certain.

Apparently the scenarios that could see the BCS fifth-ranked Irish (9-1) fall completely out of the BCS have dwindled to one.

Losing Saturday to Army (3-7).
http://www.southbendtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061116/NDSports02/611160347/-1/NDSPORTS

Sugar: Florida vs Notre Dame
Orange: Georgia Tech vs Auburn
Fiesta: Texas vs Boise St
Rose: tS oihO vs Cal
NC: Michigan vs Louisville

Rutgers get no respect, but rightfully so. With the way it's set up you can't just show up for one year and expect it. It's a great cinderella story for New Jersey but the're the only ones who want to see 'em play.

UF Fin Kat said:
how in the world would louisville get into the NC?

by winning out and being the best one loss team (besides lowly Rutgers)

so many things would have to happen to get louisville in there. USC, UF, arkansas, notre dame and rutgers ALL have to lose. and even then, the loser of the OSU/michigan game would probably go in anyways.

and "lowly" rutgers beat them. so whatever, you have no clue what you're talking about. anyone that doesn't love the rutgers story isn't a real football fan.

UF Fin Kat said:
so many things would have to happen to get louisville in there. USC, UF, arkansas, notre dame and rutgers ALL have to lose. and even then, the loser of the OSU/michigan game would probably go in anyways.

and "lowly" rutgers beat them. so whatever, you have no clue what you're talking about. anyone that doesn't love the rutgers story isn't a real football fan.

Hey, you're the one who started a thread that called for "extreme BCS predictions", so then dont slam those who do. Not to mention, your the one with the dubious prediction of having Rutgers winning the NC. Seriously, how does it make me any less of a football fan if I don't want to see some one hit wonder team make it. Geez, Im sorry if I hurt your feelings by disrespecting your "man crush" for the Scarlet Knights.

HurriPhin said:
by winning out and being the best one loss team (besides lowly Rutgers)

How would they possible jump a 1 loss ND or UF team? It cant happen. Unless you have ND and Florida both losing another game and still getting into the BCS? And can Auburn still win the SEC? I'd thought they were all but out of the BCS?

DonShula84 said:
How would they possible jump a 1 loss ND or UF team? It cant happen. Unless you have ND and Florida both losing another game and still getting into the BCS? And can Auburn still win the SEC? I'd thought they were all but out of the BCS?
I wasn't aware that all those teams were given wins to finish out the season. Well **** of course it can happen. Will it, porbably not, but its my prediction.

...and am I wrong to think the Fins will make the playoffs? Maybe, but it wont stop me from cheering it so.

HurriPhin said:
I wasn't aware that all those teams were given wins to finish out the season. Well **** of course it can happen. Will it, porbably not, but its my prediction.

...and am I wrong to think the Fins will make the playoffs? Maybe, but it wont stop me from cheering it so.

If they were to lose more games I dont see how they make BCS games is one issue. How Auburn makes a BCS game is another. The third issue is that I dont believe UL can win the Big East, the odds of a team not winning its conference and jumping other 1 loss teams for the champ game seems pretty unlikely to me. And if UL cant win the Big East then they wouldnt be the only Big East team in the BCS

HurriPhin said:
Hey, you're the one who started a thread that called for "extreme BCS predictions", so then dont slam those who do. Not to mention, your the one with the dubious prediction of having Rutgers winning the NC. Seriously, how does it make me any less of a football fan if I don't want to see some one hit wonder team make it. Geez, Im sorry if I hurt your feelings by disrespecting your "man crush" for the Scarlet Knights.
you're just not a real fan. that's all.

HurriPhin said:

:lol:

UF Fin Kat said:
anyone that doesn't love the rutgers story isn't a real football fan.
So I guess when Miami rises from the ashes and becomes a National Championship Powerhouse again you'll love their story. Otherwise you're not a real football fan.:wink:

Jaydog57 said:
So I guess when Miami rises from the ashes and becomes a National Championship Powerhouse again you'll love their story. Otherwise you're not a real football fan.:wink:

Come on now, thats not even comparable. Rutgers has never been a Football powerhouse. They are a Cinderella story, not a rebound story.

Motion said:
Come on now, thats not even comparable. Rutgers has never been a Football powerhouse. They are a Cinderella story, not a rebound story.
True, and Rutgers has done an outstanding job. But when we do it again it will only improve our staying power. :peace:

Back
Top Bottom