Even with Jennings and Hartline, our O won't be good without TE | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Even with Jennings and Hartline, our O won't be good without TE

Get Jennings and Wallace in FA. Draft a TE round 1 that can block and be a threat down field. 2nd round draft a true power RB and press CB. 3rd draft a passrusher DE and a left T for depth or maybe start and move to RT.

Unfortunately, the draft only has 2 marquee talent TE's. After Eifert and Ertz, both of which look good to me, I think all of the other TE's are developmental role player types. The problem with the FA TE's is that most are poor receivers with major cases of the dropsies and inconsistent patterns and high price tags. I definitely think TE is an area where we need to land a primary talent (pushing Fasano back to #2 TE), but things sorta need to break right for us.

Since there are good choices for a FA WR (e.g. Jennings) and a wealth of good WR prospects in the draft, I think we need to take advantage of that. Grab 1 FA WR to lead the corps immediately and tutor the youth. Then grab 2 draftees with our early draft choices and groom them to become a fearsome WR corps. Yes, I'd love to pick up Ertz or Eifert in round 2 as well, but I just wonder whether either will be available.

My best case scenario would have Patterson in the 1st, Ertz with 2a, and then add another WR with 2b or one of our 3rds. It's obviously a very heavy investment into the WR position, but I think we both need it and would be getting value with those early picks.

You state that Cook is staying in Tennessee...link?
It is rumored they are going to tag him.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ok-doesnt-understand-titans-coaching-changes/

[h=1]Jared Cook doesn’t understand Titans coaching changes[/h]That’s not sitting all that well with tight end Jared Cook. Cook is slated to become a free agent come the end of the league year and he expressed confusion about what the Titans are doing with their staff, including the decision to relieve tight ends coach John Zernhelt of his duties with the team.
“I didn’t get [linebackers coach] Frank Bush at all, and I don’t get Coach Z either,” Cook said, via Jim Wyatt of the Tennessean. “I am very surprised at that, very surprised. I just don’t understand that move. Point black. Period. I mean, Coach Z was a great run blocking coach and he really explained the run game and he really broke things down to where you could really understand things better. And he was great in the development of all of us. I just don’t get why you would want to let a guy like that go.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Dont bother signing Jared Cook. Just draft his younger version in Jordan Reed in the 3rd. That'll make us forget all about Michael Egnew. He's horrid as a blocking TE, but Jared Cook was the same size as Jordan Reed is coming in, albeit 2 inches shorter and 3 lbs heavier.

If we have Jennings, Hartline, Fasano, Bush, Miller, and the offense still isn't producing, I think some of the blame will have to go to Ryan Tannehill. If a QB needs to be surrounded by 5 megatrons in order to produce, he's probably not a franchise QB.

If we have Jennings, Hartline, Fasano, Bush, Miller, and the offense still isn't producing, I think some of the blame will have to go to Ryan Tannehill. If a QB needs to be surrounded by 5 megatrons in order to produce, he's probably not a franchise QB.

I agree witht he concept and use (unfortunately bringing him up) Sanchez as the prime example of that

However if you look at the top QBs

Brady = Gronk/Ridley/Varenn/Lloyd/Hernandez/Welker
Rodgers = Jennings/Cobb/Finley/Jones/Nelson
Brees = Colston/Sproles/Moore/Graham/even Ingram started to produce
Peyton = Decker/D.Thomas/McGahee,Moreno/Stokley is a great #3
M.Ryan = R.White/J.Jones/J.Rodgers/H.Douglad/T.Gonzalez

While i also believe in the concept that the QB makes the players around them better, it does work the other way as well, i agree I would expect an improvement in RT17 if he has Jennings/Hartline/Bess,Bush and sprinkle in Miller, but like the origin of this thread i dont think Fasano is anything more than a great blocker who catches 2 passes in the 1st quarter, dissapears for quarter 2 and 3, maybe makes a catch in the 4th, and i think the only reason he lead the team in TDs is b/c he was the only RZ target by defintion on the team in terms of height and overall size, i will give him props his TD catches in the back corner of the endzone agaisnt the NYJ and SF were pretty amazing, problem is between those amazing catches he dissapeaers for quarters and games on end

I do however think Clay can be a difference maker as we saw in his 2 long TDs vs. SEA and IND where he got great seperation from the LB and was a clear mismatch

But you see, not one of those is a megaton lol. Hartline fasano bush and miller are average at their positions. Jennings isn't a true stud either. So you're not getting him that much.

look at Rodgers. He had Jennings Nelson Cobb Jones and Finley, and still lost. And that's Rodgers.

So does that kid from Cal, Allan. Whoever we pick up as a free agent, we need to draft talented youth too.

Couldnt agree more, grab a couple WR's in the first 3 rounds. Get a DE too, since there seems to be excess in this draft also. Fill the other holes in FA.......playoff bound!!

If we sign Jennings and resign Hartline, that gives us Jennings as our 2, Hartline as our 3, Bess as our 4, and Matthews as our 5. That's a solid 2-5 and can get even better as Tannehill continues to build chemistry with Hartline and Bess as well as Matthews maturing because he has upside. That only leaves a certain spot for a 1 and if Philbin wants a 6. So lets either sign a true 1 like Bowe or Wallace or draft a 1. Our 6 can come from the practice squad in Tyms or Fuller or perhaps Binns. IMO that's a very good group of WR's for Tannehill to win with.

Finally, grab either Ertz or Eifert at TE from the draft, resign Fasano as our 2 TE, and continue to integrate Clay. That's a fine group of TE's as well. If we play our FA money right we don't have to invest many draft picks on offensive playmakers.

I had this discussion with a friend today.

Reality is Jennings isn't a true number 1. He's like a 1.5. Hartline isn't a stud number 2 either. Perhaps 2.5

It appears Finley is staying in GB, Cook in Tennessee. All the Tight ends in the draft can't block and we probably won't spend a pick on one.

I believe we'll end up bringing Fasano and Reggie back, and with those weapons, the offense will be better but it still won't be very good.

Agree or Disagree?

thats a crock, absolutely there are TE's in this draft who can block, and split out, and go down the seam quickly and catch just about everything thrown his way. His name is Tyler Eifert.

Yeah, if Hartline is your #2, you're doing something wrong.

there are no #1's or two's or whatever....there are only guys who get open and catch the ball. Irelands reference was more in relation to stock value.

Back
Top Bottom