"Explanation Of Our Offensive System" | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

"Explanation Of Our Offensive System"

Sorry fellas, I keep starting these threads with all of this info. But it's so interesting I figured some might be able to enjoy it. I think this should be it for the day:err:..It got me excited just thinking of the possibilities. And also on NFL network tomorrow, their re-playing the Chargers VS. Broncos. I would encourage to watch that game so you can get a feel of how Cam likes to call plays.

http://www.webskins.org/joe.html

(1) Run precision patterns. The QB should be able to complete passes with his eyes closed because the WR's should be running exact patterns EVERY TIME--no deviation. A receiver should run a particular pattern (say, a sideline) the exact same distance each time, the cut should occur at the same place, and it should take exactly the same amount of time to run it each time.

(6) Throw to the open-man. Because this offense puts a premium on putting receivers into the pattern, there should always be someone open. Forcing the ball (throwing into coverage) in this offense destroys the offensive scheme.
It's air coreyell we had it here before or did you forget norv turner already? Cam is a prodigy of turners!:wink:

(1) Run precision patterns. The QB should be able to complete passes with his eyes closed because the WR's should be running exact patterns EVERY TIME--no deviation. A receiver should run a particular pattern (say, a sideline) the exact same distance each time, the cut should occur at the same place, and it should take exactly the same amount of time to run it each time.

Seems like the DB's would have a field day if that were true. Watch a little film, andthen just stand right in the exact spot where the WR will be running his exact pattern EVERY TIME -- no deviation.

"(1) Run precision patterns. The QB should be able to complete passes with his eyes closed because the WR's should be running exact patterns EVERY TIME--no deviation. A receiver should run a particular pattern (say, a sideline) the exact same distance each time, the cut should occur at the same place, and it should take exactly the same amount of time to run it each time."

Anyone else a little worried that we run the pattern the same every time. A good DB could use that against us as the game goes on. I mean, I like precision, but a little unpredictability could be a positive sometimes...

Seems like the DB's would have a field day if that were true. Watch a little film, andthen just stand right in the exact spot where the WR will be running his exact pattern EVERY TIME -- no deviation.

You took the words right out of my mouth

It's air coreyell we had it here before or did you forget norv turner already? Cam is a prodigy of turners!:wink:

Yes and No, do not forget who our HC was at that time. The Turner Offense (that is very close to this Offense with some Cam Sig differences) is very aggressive, don't let teams breath, or get a chance to come back, Wanny believed you did not need to take so many chances, and even though there are games where Wanny allowed the offense to go wild, he did also try to force Norv to Run Run, and run some more when Miami was up.

On top of that, Wanny did not try to draft or get the type of players that worked best in this kind of Offense, in fact when he drafted Offense, he missed big time.

yes and he will stutter step at the line of scrimmage and lose 2 yards. I dont know what people see in one of sabans most costly mistakes but cam better fix it, bench him a series ever time he makes that stupid move.

Ronnie's lack of production stems from the O-line. Give him a decent line to run behind and watch him rack up the yards.

"(1) Run precision patterns. The QB should be able to complete passes with his eyes closed because the WR's should be running exact patterns EVERY TIME--no deviation. A receiver should run a particular pattern (say, a sideline) the exact same distance each time, the cut should occur at the same place, and it should take exactly the same amount of time to run it each time."

Anyone else a little worried that we run the pattern the same every time. A good DB could use that against us as the game goes on. I mean, I like precision, but a little unpredictability could be a positive sometimes...

It's not that simple. A receiver can align anywhere and run any of nine different routes. You can get a clue as to what may come on the defensive side of the ball but contrary to the quote above, it's not that easy to read. A receiver can also cut his route short or take it long based upon his ability to communicate with the QB and their understanding of the game.

If a DB (say Cornerback) is playing "cover two" to the strongside his has multiple questions to answer before the snap. He can answer the questions quickly based upon the alignment but the general idea is that he is in cover 2 and he has an area of responsibility. His area of responsibility is 12 yards deep near his number (marking) on the field. He keys the number one receiver and spys the number two receiver. A back (number 3) releasing to his side creates problems for the linebacker.

Why do you see so many short passes or a long pass down the sideline versus cover 2? It's called a "smash route". As eluded to before, the corner must get to a specific area as this is the structure of the defensive secondary. He is keying the number one receiver by counting from the outside - in (the number one). If the number one receiver runs a stop or a hard slant to the inside, the corner must stay with him. All the while the CB is spying the number two receiver on his side. If that number two receiver runs a pattern toward the sideline (releases outside) the Corner must let the linebacker know that it is a smash route and he (CB) will be staying on the number one. If the number two runs an outside route the safety must pick up number two. This is a conflict as it changes the relationship and the base assignment of the secondary.

The QB is getting a read on the CB assignment presnap by checking the alignment of the CB and his relationship (alignment) of the safety.

The Corner is reading the receiver. Some of the clues given by the receiver are running high (speed). The corner better be ready to run. Yet another is running low (throttle down). The corner must run ready to turn his hips back toward the line of scrimmage. There are too numerous of reads on the field to go through here. Above was one play described with numerous patterns reads. The point is that guessing what your opponent will run is always a gamble. Following your pattern read progression is not a gamble. The defensive guy you have spoken of - he'll be burned more often than not.

I prefer that the QB knows where the receiver will be on a particular route. The play calling and disguising the play using formations should be enough to keep the DB off balance.

Our last really solid offense was 2002 before Fiedler, Chambers, and Gadsden got hurt in the Denver game. They were averaging 30 points per game. They finished the year with 378 points. If the injuries hadn't happened, they could have easily scored 400 points. They haven't come close since. By comparison, they scored 260 points last season and haven't come close to 400 since they scored 398 in 1995. The Fins have only scored more that 400 points 3 times in the history of the franchise.

I can't wait to see an effective offense again.

Back
Top Bottom