"Explanation Of Our Offensive System" | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

"Explanation Of Our Offensive System"

Well a rookie will have the time to learn if he is taught correctly. Why doesn't Chamber's poor route running not bother you?

Chamber piss-poor route running has always bothered me, that an his stonehands.

That article is messed up. It equates the offenses of Bill Walsh and Norv Turner. They are not the same offense at all.

Both SF and Dallas run what is commonly referred to as the "West Coast Offense"

The article goes on the describe the offense run by Turner but makes references to Joe Montana and Holmgren.

The confusion comes from the fact that the offense run by Sid Gillman, Don Coryell, Norv Turner, etc. was originally named the "West Coast Offense". Later the term was used for the Bill Walsh system, which is a completely different system.

From a SI article:

St. Louis' Mike Martz, who has put together the NFL's most dynamic attack. We talked about the Real West Coast Offense, the one he coaches.

There are three practitioners of the Real West Coast Offense, three men whose roots go right back to the beginning -- to Sid Gillman of the San Diego Chargers in the 1960s, and before him, Francis (Shut-the-Gates-of-Mercy) Schmidt at Ohio State.

How did the term get its name? From Bernie Kosar, when he was a backup quarterback with Dallas in '93. I was doing a piece on the Cowboys. I asked him what the offense was like.

"Oh, you know, the West Coast Offense," he said. "Turner and Zampese and Don Coryell and Sid Gillman. That thing." (Bernie obviously had a good knowledge of NFL history).

I used the quote. It was picked up by a West Coast wire reporter, except that he got it screwed up and he attached it to the San Francisco attack that Bill Walsh had used in San Francisco's Super Bowl run of the '80s. What the hell -- San Diego, L.A., San Francisco -- it's all West Coast, isn't it? And that's where it stuck.

At first Walsh was quite upset by the misnomer. "Call it the Walsh Offense, or the Cincinnati Offense," he said, "but not the West Coast Offense. That's something completely different."

Ultimately the name stuck to the Walsh offense.

wow... just wow... what a hater... you sure aren't seeing what "I'm" seeing....

How many more games would we have won if he had stopped dancing in the backfield. He is not barry sanders, he is a run you the F^#$ over back and he needs to learn that in a hurry. If you dont see the stutter step every time he runs the ball then you arent watching. its just as blatant as quinns bad footwork when hes playing qb.

If he stopped and just ran, (run you own man over, he'll learn to push if you slam into his back enough) then he would be a 1500 yard RB but he has to stop the GD move. and dont say if he was given more carries hed be closer, the more carries you get the more your body breaks down.

maybe if he wasn't running into the fanny of his offensive line TWO YARDS DEEP, he wouldn't BE "tap dancing"

As i said, run the linemen over and they will get tired of getting hit in the back. they will learn to move their assignment so they dont get hit in the back.

As i said, run the linemen over and they will get tired of getting hit in the back. they will learn to move their assignment so they dont get hit in the back.

tough to move six hundred pounds after only two steps... I"m sorry you don't like Ronnie and are incapable of getting past that to see just how good he really is.

Hitting his own lineman two yards deep and in "your" mind, it is still his fault.... wow...

How many more games would we have won if he had stopped dancing in the backfield. He is not barry sanders, he is a run you the F^#$ over back and he needs to learn that in a hurry. If you dont see the stutter step every time he runs the ball then you arent watching. its just as blatant as quinns bad footwork when hes playing qb.

If he stopped and just ran, (run you own man over, he'll learn to push if you slam into his back enough) then he would be a 1500 yard RB but he has to stop the GD move. and dont say if he was given more carries hed be closer, the more carries you get the more your body breaks down.

That dancing or stutter step is Ronnie's way of being patient and waiting for the play to develop.

From the AFC East Report - Cam Cameron's Offense: A Closer Look
http://www.afceastreport.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=207
In 2005, Ronnie Brown's worst efficiency came out of the I-Formation. In 2006, his best efficiency came out of the I-Formation. Based on personal observation, I would attribute this largely to Ronnie's developing patience and feel for the cutback.

I noticed a significant difference between Brown's running style before the bye week, and after the bye week. Not only did he average nearly a yard more per carry after the bye week, it looked to me as if he was slowing up his running behind the line in order to be able to see and react to the hole. In the past, I felt that slammed himself into the hole too quickly and to his own detriment. He seemed to have no ability to react to the holes as they developed. After the bye week, he ran with more vision, he ran with more patience, and this leads me to believe that he will do well in Cam Cameron's system. It should be noted that a year ago, Ricky Williams' best efficiency also came out of the I-Formation.

Hopefully, with smaller, more mobile and agile interior linemen, they will be able to pull and create holes faster so Ronnie doesn't have to wait as long in the backfield for the right time to explode through the hole. Faster linemen and players should equal faster plays, and faster plays should lead to more ways to score!

Well a rookie will have the time to learn if he is taught correctly. Why doesn't Chamber's poor route running not bother you?

I'm not sure what the big deal is about route running. If a guy gets paid millions to run 10 yards then cut 90 degrees to your right and take two steps he should be able to do it. Especially if he's made it through major college football and has a "Position" coach on his butt about it 24/7. Please stop makeing excuses for things that have not happened yet.

Let's wait until we see how his route running is in pre-season before you label him a bust - although some people on this board want to rush to judgement "on paper".

The past does not equal the future necessarily. He's in the NFL now with NFL coaches, so let's see how it plays out first. He MAY light it up.

Ronnie may not be the back that everyone hopes that he his yet, but I do see a guy that's improving leaps and bounds. He ***** slapped a strong Bears defense in Chicago for 157 yds on 29 carries averaging 5.4 yards a carry. Anyone not excited about seeing the possibilities of this guy under Cam's tutilege can jump ship now.

This explains why Cam doesn't want Daunte to be his head coach.

(3) Execute quickly. The longer the QB holds on to the ball, the more trouble he's likely to get into. This offense penalizes indecision or slow reads by the QB. When it is executed quickly, the QB is usually taking the snap, making final reads, evaluating and deciding among progressions, setting up, and releasing within 3.3 seconds if not sooner (in the first half of the first Skins-Eagles game in "95, Rodney Peete was averaging 2.7 seconds from snap to release). That is why mobile QBs like Elway, Montana, Young, Aikman are extremely valuable in this offense because they can often buy another second through athletic skills or "pocket sense" (remember the last play of the Denver-Washington game? Elway stepped up in the pocket and that time allowed the receiver to get to the goal line). One of the ways this offense completes longer pass patterns is, rather than having the QB wait in the pocket (with only 5 blockers), use pump fakes to freeze the safeties or CB and then release the ball sooner and higher and let the receiver run past coverage and under the ball. To put it another way, unless a defender falls down or there is a blown coverage, most deep patterns involve the QB throwing the ball before the deep receiver is open (or in some cases before they've even reached the last zone defender).

Bill Belichick hates defending against this offense. I read a quote about how he said this is the most difficult offense he has faced. I wish I could remember where I read this. I'll hook up a link if I ever find it.

Bill Belichick hates defending against this offense. I read a quote about how he said this is the most difficult offense he has faced. I wish I could remember where I read this. I'll hook up a link if I ever find it.

There is not much difference in offense from team to team. Teams don't rule block anymore. Everything in the run game is zone based. The passing attack? There are nine routes on the passing tree.

But as for Belichek (or any other head coach) just keep this in mind for all of football.......

The defensive coordinator will make the offense that he has the most difficulty defending - HIS OFFENSE.

The offensive coordinator will make the defense that he has the most difficulty attacking - HIS DEFENSE.

It ain't rocket science........

Back
Top Bottom