Feeley too Early? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Feeley too Early?

Anyone have any idea what Collins would cost us? Besides Oakland, is there any other team out there who will make a strong run for him?

Hindsight is 20/20, but it looks like we did make a move too soon...Garcia, Collins, Kitna, Warner, Couch could all be available.

Im not saying Feeley wont pan out (have to see him play first), but there are MANY QB options that have surfaced since we signed the kid. Maybe Rick likes Feeley better than these guys, who knows? All Im saying is that if these guys were available from the start of FA, I dont know if Rick would have ponied up a second for AJ, unproven and all. JMO.

rickeyrunsover said:
Did Collins lead them to the conference champ or did the defense along with thunder and lightening lead them?

He had over 4000 yards passing that year. He was DEFINITELY one of the main catalysts in their SB run.

Here is the thing though Rick has stated repeatedly that he wants to build this team up from young up and coming stars. Not old vets that are passing thier prime. I like what i see in AJ. I feel it is time to realize that with a new QB atleast there is hope this year for improvement. VS the last few years of the same old QB who we know for sure now can not take us deep into the playoffs.Dolfanreal69 :evil: :evil: :evil:

HMMMM, I just wounder what you all would be saying about AJ if he had been our Qb the past 2 seasons. Would he still be that good young Qb with lots of potential , or would he be the bum you all are making Jay out to be?? I think alot of ppl here are putting, if not all, most of the blame for the way the past 2 seasons have ended on Jay. And IMHO I don't see it, our D, our coaching are the ones who let us down. Jay did the best he could with what he had, average to below average WRs, well below average Oline. Come on guys give Jay some credit, it would have taken a Brett Farve type qb to have done something with this offense last year, and Aj aint no Farve. I hope who ever the Phins qb is this year rips up the deffense and has a monster year, but if the o-line and wr are not any better it wont happen. And here we will be next year putting all the blame on the qb,or will it be different for AJ? HMMM

KBISBACK said:
That's what caught Ron Wolf's eye when he mentioned Feeley to Miami, and then advised Cleveland to pursue Feeley instead of Garcia. Of course, Cleveland didn't listen to him, and he quit that job.

Ron Wolf was pimping Feeley this offseason? I didn't know that. I was already on board with the Feeley bandwagon, such as it is, but that makes me feel better. :D

KBISBACK said:
Feeley's receivers also dropped about 5 passes in every game he played. Without the drops, his completion percentage would have been around 60%. His career completion percentage is 59%.QUOTE]

You are absolutely right about that KBISBACK. The actual fact is the Eagles receivers had 21 drops in the games that Feeley started. 21!!!!!!!! :eek:

Dbergan said:
Anyone have any idea what Collins would cost us? Besides Oakland, is there any other team out there who will make a strong run for him?

Nothing's set, largely because Collins hasn't been cut yet. But so far, these teams have been mentioned: Oakland, San Francisco, Arizona, Baltimore. I'm sure I'm forgetting someone, too.
What would Collins cost? Hard to say. There's no team that's likely to hand him a starting job, so figure he'll be looking for a one year deal for good backup money ($2 million, give or take), with the hope of earning a starting job in season or being signed after the season long-term by a team looking for a starter.

Garcia, Kitna, and Warner would not be the answers. At best, all three would be 2-3 year stop gap options. That would have been the wrong thing to do. It would be nothing but a band aid on a gushing wound. Garcia would have brought nothing different than Jay Fiedler. He's just another injury proned, weak armed quarterback that doesn't fit the system and will limit the offense.

Kitna would have been a guy that we simply would have looked to replace in 2 years.

Warner doesn't have it anymore.

As far as Tim Couch goes, he's nothing but a name. He lacks arm strength and accuracy, and I doubt he ever regains a starting position in the NFL.

AJ Feeley is a young guy with an above average arm and great mentality. He was a much better option than the ones mentioned above because he is young and has a future.

Surferosa said:
Hindsight is 20/20, but it looks like we did make a move too soon...Garcia, Collins, Kitna, Warner, Couch could all be available.

Im not saying Feeley wont pan out (have to see him play first), but there are MANY QB options that have surfaced since we signed the kid. Maybe Rick likes Feeley better than these guys, who knows? All Im saying is that if these guys were available from the start of FA, I dont know if Rick would have ponied up a second for AJ, unproven and all. JMO.

I think Rick was shell-shocked by last year's left tackle situation, where they waited and waited, and nothing came up. So he made a move early, figuring that it was better to overpay than risk another season with Fiedler under center.
And for what it's worth, I'd rather have Feeley than any of those guys mentioned. Garcia is old and injury-prone, and even though he's still got some gas in the tank, the FO wanted a long-term solution. Warner is washed up. Kitna was a one year wonder. Couch had his chance and blew it, maybe he just needs a change of scenery, but I wouldn't pin my hopes on a guy like that. Collins has the same problems as Fiedler (forces too many balls), but is less mobile with a stronger arm and a drinking problem.

In my humble opinon

Collins would be an excellent match for us, He had possibly the worse offensive line in the league last year, they were pathetic, we complain about ours last year but the Giants line would of made our fans committ suicide.:french:
Collins with or style of offense would be a top 7 QB in the NFL, look what our weapons will be this year ! Can we really miss ?
Im just praying Feeley works out, theres a reason why he was a 3rd String and not 2nd :confused: . This is our year to excel why not take a shot with Collins, could he be any worse then last year :confused:

Come on...Collins is a Griese clone or visa verse. Garcia, too old, beaten up and just plain not that good (he was good enough for a poor SF team), Warner...has been, system QB who's thumb injury has rendered him much less effective...also, he has problems with concussions that can recur at any time. Brunell would have been adequate, but only a short term solution. RS didn't even get a shot at him...and Wash way, way, way overpaid for him. You could have kissed CC and Ogun goodbye if we had signed Brunell for what Wash did. Ramsey would have been a good choice, but not really more potential than Feeley. We would have the same questions about him...the difference is his 5 games were last season, not 2002.

Back to Collins, since he is the only one that really matters here....He is a stiff, non-mobile QB. He has not had good OLs in the last few years, and we haven't proven we have a good line yet for this year. Fassell runs hybrid-west coast style offense so Collins would have to learn a new offense. That may not be impossible, but we may not have access to him until June 1...that greatly reduces his window to learn the offense (think Brian Griese). He has been a mediocre QB the last two years. Part of that has been the team around him but, part has been his play. He cannot throw well except after a 5 or 7 step drop and needs time to survey the field. At least JF can throw on the run accurately and use his legs to get out of trouble. One very positive thing is that he has overcome his biggest deficiency since leaving the Panthers, and has to be given kudos for that (controlling his alcoholism).

Feeley is not Mr. Mobility either, but is athletic enough to maneuver very well in the pocket, and throws well on the run also. (If you had seen any of those games in 2002, you would have seen that he operated under a mediocre-to-bad OL that year, which turned out to be there biggest fault in the playoffs). However, he did two things that you cannot teach...a) he just won...despite being inexperience, despite having no OL, despite have no running game, despite have on receivers. And b) he earned the respect of his teammates and showed that he was a leader on the field. And as a side note, of which most people don't care about, he has shown that he is a leader and upstanding citizen off the field.

I would have been dissapointed in RS if he had gotten Brunell, although for a short-term, win-now situation, he would have been a good choice....Ramsey would have been fine with me...I see the same potential in him as Feeley. You can forget Garcia and Warner...too much risk even for back up positions. I think that RS has put us in a win-win situation. He will be better than JF, and we have won quite a few games with JFs level of play. I like that RS has upgraded our OL. It might not be great this year, but we will have a solid, capable line this year and I feel it will be our teams best strength in 2 years.

So let Collins go to Oakland or Arizona or 49ers....we are ok at QB with our current players. IMHO

When training camp starts...

KBISBACK said:
AJ Feeley is a young guy with an above average arm and great mentality. He was a much better option than the ones mentioned above because he is young and has a future.

they need to give it over to AJ, if it's even close between him and Jay. Remember when Jay came in? They looked at Jay as the future and left Huard in the cold. We've seen what Jay can't do, now let's see what AJ can.

Steve

You are absolutely right about that KBISBACK. The actual fact is the Eagles receivers had 21 drops in the games that Feeley started. 21!!!!!!!!

That raises red flags to me about Feeley. It could just mean the Eagles pass catcher suck which for the most part they do, but if they have an above average tendancy to drop balls with Feeley as opposed to Donovan, it should mean Feeley throws a ball that isn't as easy to catch. There could be something to the rumors that our WRs are having trouble adjusting to the "rockets" that Feeley is tossing them. We need a QB that has touch, not another Ray Lucas. Some QBs have a tendancy to get their passes dropped by WRs. I think we should be a little wary, but hey it could be nothing.

Come on...Collins is a Griese clone or visa verse

I'm sorry but Collins has an arm and natural talent that no person in their right mind would compare to Griese's. Remember, Kerry was drafted very high because of that natural talent. He screwed up early in his career, drinking problems which led to depression and eventually he gave up his starting position in Carolina which brought the thunder down on him from everyone. He landed in New York and learned from those mistakes. Break him down on film and he's still a very good quarterback even if he is a little stiff in the backfield. What I don't get is lots of people were high on Rivers even though he's a stiff in the backfield (he is, not very mobile at all), yet everyone's down on pocket passers like Bledsoe and Collins.

If I were gonna criticize Collins it would be his tendancy to blow it in big games...like the super bowl. But hey, Fiedler's record in the three playoff games he's played in is pretty darn aweful too.

Back
Top Bottom