Feeley too Early? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Feeley too Early?

ckparrothead said:
That raises red flags to me about Feeley. It could just mean the Eagles pass catcher suck which for the most part they do, but if they have an above average tendancy to drop balls with Feeley as opposed to Donovan, it should mean Feeley throws a ball that isn't as easy to catch. There could be something to the rumors that our WRs are having trouble adjusting to the "rockets" that Feeley is tossing them. We need a QB that has touch, not another Ray Lucas. Some QBs have a tendancy to get their passes dropped by WRs. I think we should be a little wary, but hey it could be nothing.

I think you are wayyy out on a limb here reaching for red flags here CK. Just from watching Philly's receivers with McNabb in, you could see the propensity they had to dropping passes. However, McNabb has a tendency to throwing the short ball toward the ground.

What I find very interesting is all the work Speilman and the FO went through...and it is well documented in evaluating the QBs that were out there...backups and otherwise before selecting Feeley. The method he used was quite intuitive. It seems that we fans discount that work. These guys spent a month or so evaluating QB talent. They do it as a job...They...as in more than one competent person.
However we as fans sit in our backseat driver position and make snap judgements based on newspaper articles...etc.

One nugget of info which the FO found out with Feeley is that he had a high 3rd down completion rating. Highest amongst the other QBs they evaluated and higher than that of Jay Fiedler. Now I ask, how many of us fans knew this...or does it even matter?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it was premature. I would be happier with Feeley if we had Warner/Garcia/Couch etc in to replace Feidler.

Jay must have naked pictures of Wanny. How does this guy still hang on?

Does anyone know if the new QB coach was in on the study that determined Feeley was the man? This might have had a big impact, not to mention the Green Bay guru recommendation.

I like the idea of a guy who had to learn on the bech. A guy who will scrap and work his A$$ off to improve and has had to in the past. A guy who wont take up 100 mil of cap room so we can afford to surround him with talent. Sometimes those top picks had a hot last year and aren't worth the pick they went. Sometimes they are so accustomed to being great they squeeze too many passes into coverage instead of taking the easy dump off pass. All the time they take up too much cap room. Would I love to have Payton on the roster? Hell yes, but not at the price the Colts had to pay. They are going to need to release some talent and sign cheaper talent ongoing. By the way when was the last time a team won a SB with a 1st rd qb? I think it was Elway and it was at the tail end of his time in the NFL. When was the last time a QB drafted in the 1st, won a SB with the team that drafted him? Wasn't Elway, he was drafted by the colts. I think it was Aikman and they only were able to put that team together because of the Walker trade with Minn. Anyway, lots of SBs have come and gone and very few have been won with a 1st round qb and even fewer with a 1st round qb taken by that team. I say when it comes to qbs draft them late (looking for a guy with a solid 4 years in college but perhaps a drop off in his sernior season) and scrub FA. hopefully Feeley will be our guy sure wont be Jay :shakeno:

Feeley is not Mr. Mobility either, but is athletic enough to maneuver very well in the pocket, and throws well on the run also. (If you had seen any of those games in 2002, you would have seen that he operated under a mediocre-to-bad OL that year, which turned out to be there biggest fault in the playoffs). However, he did two things that you cannot teach...a) he just won...despite being inexperience, despite having no OL, despite have no running game, despite have on receivers. And b) he earned the respect of his teammates and showed that he was a leader on the field. And as a side note, of which most people don't care about, he has shown that he is a leader and upstanding citizen off the field.

Hey Larry.... didn't you just describe Jay Fiedler? :cooldude:

I'm sorry guys... but Fiedler has got to be the most unappreciated qbs in the NFL. You guys will one day realize what we had (in JF) when he's no longer here for you to bash.

Mel Kiper said it best "Miami's defense is the most overrated in the NFL. They cannot win the big games."

It's funny that Phans offer JF's stats as proof he is not stellar. Then they offer the defense's stats to support the fact they are stellar.

STATS DON'T WIN GAMES. PLAYERS do. JF is a PLAYER.

I remember a September game against a band of pirates. Last play of the game, bootleg to the right, play breaks down, 5 yards from the goal line, the clock is ticking 5, 4, 3 ....
squares his shoulders, eludes 2 tackles and dives for the goal line. Game DOLPHINS.

I recall another game, a comeback in the 4th quarter against some Indian Tribe. The team responded when their leader came onto the field. And, yet again, he won.

Those are games you remember because of greatness by a player.

Respect is earned, not given. No matter how many intangibles other qbs have, they don't have the respect of the team. JF does.

Be careful what you wish for.

The mechanic and driver of the Jay Fiedler bandwagon.... leading the charge.

NathanHunt said:
Hey Larry.... didn't you just describe Jay Fiedler? :cooldude:

I'm sorry guys... but Fiedler has got to be the most unappreciated qbs in the NFL. You guys will one day realize what we had (in JF) when he's no longer here for you to bash.

Mel Kiper said it best "Miami's defense is the most overrated in the NFL. They cannot win the big games."

It's funny that Phans offer JF's stats as proof he is not stellar. Then they offer the defense's stats to support the fact they are stellar.

STATS DON'T WIN GAMES. PLAYERS do. JF is a PLAYER.

I remember a September game against a band of pirates. Last play of the game, bootleg to the right, play breaks down, 5 yards from the goal line, the clock is ticking 5, 4, 3 ....
squares his shoulders, eludes 2 tackles and dives for the goal line. Game DOLPHINS.

I recall another game, a comeback in the 4th quarter against some Indian Tribe. The team responded when their leader came onto the field. And, yet again, he won.

Those are games you remember because of greatness by a player.

Respect is earned, not given. No matter how many intangibles other qbs have, they don't have the respect of the team. JF does.

Be careful what you wish for.

The mechanic and driver of the Jay Fiedler bandwagon.... leading the charge.

I also recall many occasions where an open receiver runs down the sideline only to see the ball flopping 20 feet over his head. Perhpas those "comeback games" would not have needed a comeback if Jay didn't miss so often. Oh and despite increased talent around him the team gets worse every year he is here. NO THANKS!!

Sorry man i know he has had some great games. More often than not though he has not had consistant performances. I feel Rick did the right thing bringing in AJ. I want him to start and bring back a passing game long missing in Miami.Dolfanreal69
Quote from my dad" That Jay Fiedler is just good enough to break your heart."

I also recall many occasions where an open receiver runs down the sideline only to see the ball flopping 20 feet over his head. Perhpas those "comeback games" would not have needed a comeback if Jay didn't miss so often. Oh and despite increased talent around him the team gets worse every year he is here. NO THANKS!!

Maybe the comeback games wouldn't have been necessary if the D would do their job. BTW, is Sam Madison STILL on the field watching Troy Brown run for a TD?

Ball flopping 20 feet over their head? If he had time to complete a 5 step drop, maybe it would be more accurate. Thanks OLINE!

Increased talent? JF won WITH LAMAR SMITH. And I assume you mean RW and RM. JF is the only qb CC knows. BG and RL couldn't find CC on the field with the HUBBLE. By the way, when he finally got RM, they took away OG. Which WAS JF's security blanket. I noticed our 5 - 8 yards completion % went down without OG there. DT... WOOHOOO, what an UPGRADE. Or maybe you mean JM.... he's such a reliable wr, he fumbles his underwear. And speaking of RM... THANKS FOR THE MISSED BLOCK in NE!

BTW, you go out and lead a game winning drive with a BROKEN THUMB on your THROWING HAND. And, THEN, we'll talk about courage and ability.

PLAY ON JAY! :band: :rocker:

NathanHunt said:
Maybe the comeback games wouldn't have been necessary if the D would do their job. BTW, is Sam Madison STILL on the field watching Troy Brown run for a TD?

Ball flopping 20 feet over their head? If he had time to complete a 5 step drop, maybe it would be more accurate. Thanks OLINE!

Increased talent? JF won WITH LAMAR SMITH. And I assume you mean RW and RM. JF is the only qb CC knows. BG and RL couldn't find CC on the field with the HUBBLE. By the way, when he finally got RM, they took away OG. Which WAS JF's security blanket. I noticed our 5 - 8 yards completion % went down without OG there. DT... WOOHOOO, what an UPGRADE. Or maybe you mean JM.... he's such a reliable wr, he fumbles his underwear. And speaking of RM... THANKS FOR THE MISSED BLOCK in NE!

BTW, you go out and lead a game winning drive with a BROKEN THUMB on your THROWING HAND. And, THEN, we'll talk about courage and ability.

PLAY ON JAY! :band: :rocker:

If he is so obviously great why are we always looking for another qb? Its been a theme since JF "won" the job. You are in the vast minority on this one and the entire FO thinks he is a backup qb at best. You dont trade a second rounder for a qb that is going to be a backup. G'bye Jay :cry: :shakeno:

Feeley to Early

Hi, I'm new to the Forum, I am from NY, but have been a Dolphin fan since the Kiick/Czonka days.

I agree that the Dolphins had to do something at QB, to me the biggest surprise is that Fiedler is back in any capacity.

I watch every Dolphin game with several other FinFans at a sports bar and we all see the same thing. INCONSISTANCY, he cannot win the big games, makes to many mistakes and has to be one of the most inaccurate QB's in the league.

While I think Kurt Warner may not be the best fit, I do think Collins would be, he's only 31, doesn't get hurt, and has a strong arm, a good compliment to Ricky.

If possible they should get him, cut or trade Fiedler and make Feeley the #2.

Just my opinion

Nathan,
I don't think that anyone on this thread, no matter how much they are criticizing Jay Fiedler, does not respect the fact that this team has a pretty good winning percentage with him at the controls. I also agree that our defense, good though I think it is, is overrated. Stats on the field, just like 40 yard dash times, don't make winning teams and games. Players make winning teams and games. I am not a fan of Jay Fiedler but I agree that his contributions should not be overlooked. The Redskins game last year proved to me just how much his teammates respect him as a leader on the field.

That having been said, I think that it is time for change at the quarterback position in Miami. Jay Fiedler has had several years to prove that he is the guy, and while there are other factors that have to play into our evaluation of his time as the QB of the Dolphins, as you pointed out, at a certain point it becomes about winning. You're quite right, football isn't about stats. I seem to remember an NFL team somewhere that had the leading sack man and leading rusher in the league and still won only 9 games and missed the playoffs. Football is about winning the games that matter. Did Jay win a lot of games? Yes. Did Jay win the games that mattered? No. Did he have a lot of chances to win meaningful games? Yes.

The Miami Dolphins are a very talented football team with an average head coach and a consistent pattern of losing important football games. In order to change the culture of losing the big games we need to try to change the team. Bringing in Feeley, Boston, and people like Edwards are attempts to try something new and are not merely changes made for the sake of putting something different out there on the field.

I respect your comments about Jay Fiedler. Although I've never been a fan of his, I can't deny that he's done a good job in many ways. But at a certain point, you have to realize that we need to hand the reins over to someone else. I'm confident in A.J. Feeley even though I think we traded too high of a pick for him, and I don't think it was too early to make a move. A.J. has had a lot of time to learn the playbook, and I expect big things out of him this year. I hope, as we all do, that Feeley was the right call, and hope for the best for our Dolphins this year.

AceofSpades said:
Nathan,
I don't think that anyone on this thread, no matter how much they are criticizing Jay Fiedler, does not respect the fact that this team has a pretty good winning percentage with him at the controls. I also agree that our defense, good though I think it is, is overrated. Stats on the field, just like 40 yard dash times, don't make winning teams and games. Players make winning teams and games. I am not a fan of Jay Fiedler but I agree that his contributions should not be overlooked. The Redskins game last year proved to me just how much his teammates respect him as a leader on the field.

That having been said, I think that it is time for change at the quarterback position in Miami. Jay Fiedler has had several years to prove that he is the guy, and while there are other factors that have to play into our evaluation of his time as the QB of the Dolphins, as you pointed out, at a certain point it becomes about winning. You're quite right, football isn't about stats. I seem to remember an NFL team somewhere that had the leading sack man and leading rusher in the league and still won only 9 games and missed the playoffs. Football is about winning the games that matter. Did Jay win a lot of games? Yes. Did Jay win the games that mattered? No. Did he have a lot of chances to win meaningful games? Yes.

The Miami Dolphins are a very talented football team with an average head coach and a consistent pattern of losing important football games. In order to change the culture of losing the big games we need to try to change the team. Bringing in Feeley, Boston, and people like Edwards are attempts to try something new and are not merely changes made for the sake of putting something different out there on the field.

I respect your comments about Jay Fiedler. Although I've never been a fan of his, I can't deny that he's done a good job in many ways. But at a certain point, you have to realize that we need to hand the reins over to someone else. I'm confident in A.J. Feeley even though I think we traded too high of a pick for him, and I don't think it was too early to make a move. A.J. has had a lot of time to learn the playbook, and I expect big things out of him this year. I hope, as we all do, that Feeley was the right call, and hope for the best for our Dolphins this year.

Aw C'mon. Thats too logical. Where is the fun argumentative spin???? J/K
Maybe we could cut Jay and grab the batchelor Jesse Palmer :goof:

One more thing. The Eagles' receivers have been AWFUL for years. They drop millions upon millions of balls, and since I've gone to college in the Philadelphia area for the last four years (am a soon-to-be graduating senior) and watched a lot of Eagle games I feel qualified to comment. That's why they had to go out and get TO, even if his personality clashes more than a little with the team and with Andy Reid. Their receivers cost them the NFC title game vs. Carolina, and they finally realized that their penny-pinching ways couldn't win them the big one. You need some level of talent to get it done in big games.

The reason I am making this point is that I don't think that the large number of dropped balls in Feeley's games as the Eagle starter should be considered as indicative of anything other than the poor quality of Eagle wideouts. I think that his 4-1 mark as a starter during a playoff run is more important, and would also like to point out that he played the vast majority of a 6th game in which he did not start, and was responsible for winning that game too. Trust me. I was watching.

Hey ask anyone here, I was the biggest Jay fan, and I still like him. He just lacks the physical skills to be a consistent qb, and he cannot make all the throws. I think he wears out quickly, meaning his arm strength. Watch him throw when he hasnt played for a while, he comes out and looks good. AFter playing for a couple games, his passes have more float/loft and takes longer to get there. Nobody questions his toughness and courage, his drive, it is just his ability to consistently make the plays.

Last year he regressed for whatever reason, he missed way too many big plays, maybe all werent his fault, alot werent, some were, but as a leader as thee man, you have to be able to make plays from nothing, to create. Jay cannot do that consistently.

Look at Brady, I remember thinking he wasnt much better physically than Jay. The diff is when you watch Brady, you'll see him make something happen when it looks like the offense is contained. When the defense makes a great play and Brady still makes a positive play, that is creating, and the qb has to have that ability, it is an intangible that some have and some don't. Most qbs can make plays when they have all day and have receivers wide open, the great ones make plays when none are to be had.

Back
Top Bottom