Filling the FS gap in free agency.. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Filling the FS gap in free agency..

42March

Active Roster
Reaction score
Some posters on here, including me, think we need a free safety especially if we play some kind of 4-2-5 hybrid with TJ and RJ as down safeties/OLB and are in Cover One as a base, we need someone with range to play the deep middle. The trouble is right now we could cover take any combination of a DT/LB/FS/TE in the first two rounds (I would be amazed if we draft a QB in rounds 1 or 2) perhaps we can eliminate the need for FS and can pick up Tre Boston, who had a reasonable season with the Chargers last year, for an acceptable price to give more flexibility in the draft. Anybody else out there who could do the job?

Conceptually I agree. It would be nice to plug that hole before the draft. Let TJ play some LB.

Pick up a FS and a DT before the draft and it’s BPA all day come draft night. Unfortunately I think we’ve closed down the shop until the draft.

The safety market is somewhat weak. Morgan Burnett had to settle for 3 years ~14mil yet someone like Barry Church got 6.5mil per last year.

Think Boston could be a reasonable signing the longer he stays on the market.

There's still some good safety talent available. Reid, Vaccaro, TJ Ward, Reggie Nelson.

D James solve multiple problems TJ to outside LB and when RJ breaks down DJ can soften the blow until more help can arrive.

I agree and I would address it as early as #11 but only if Mayfield, Rosen, Smith, and Edmunds are all off the board. I expect Fitzpatrick gone. Derwin James is everything you could possibly dream for in a safety prospect though. I think he'll be there and should be the pick if the backers are gone.

Otherwise, I like Jessie Bates III a lot as a third/fourth round option.

I like Roquan a lot but his skill set seems rich for 11. He’s not a Luke Kuechly or Pat Willis. I’d be more comfortable with a Roquan type of player in the second half of round one.

Last edited:
I like Roquan a lot but his skill set seems rich for 11. He’s not a Luke Kuechly or Pat Willis. I’d be more comfortable with a Roquan type of player in the second half of round one.

I see his C.J. Mosely as his floor, so that says a lot about how I feel about him. He will be the best player on whatever defense he's a part of, and the leader of that unit on and off the field.

I think Smith and Derwin James best fit what the Dolphins have been looking for all offseason. Wish we could have both.

You can find good longterms prospects for safety without drafting them highly (look at Reshad and Yeremiah Bell for example). I wouldn't expect a late rounder to contribute right away though.

Back
Top Bottom