Film Study on Dan Kilgore | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Film Study on Dan Kilgore

Glas someone looked at the film as I really don't know what to expect from Kilgore. His reports are all over the place. Sounds like he had the injury prone label as well until last year (like Pouncey) and it also seems like his play improved over the course of the year. Of course I beleive Jimmy G is adept at quick passing which probably helped the line. Here are some reports from last year.

Center – Daniel Kilgore, San Francisco 49ers
PFF Grade
: 85.9

Elite Stat: Daniel Kilgore allowed one pressure against the Rams this week.

With a third member of their offensive line to make team of the week, the San Francisco 49ers complete the entire left side of the line, such was their dominance against the Rams this week. Kilgore allowed just a single hurry across 33 pass-blocking snaps, but like the other 49ers linemen on this team, he was particularly impressive as a run blocker, getting to the second level and cutting off linebackers with precision.

C Daniel Kilgore, 87.5 overall grade
In Kyle Shanahan’s system of outside zone running, the center’s run blocking ability is absolutely vital to the team’s overall success. Kilgore was great at using his athleticism to seal off the Bears’ interior defenders to open up lanes for his running backs. In addition to the team’s highest run-blocking grade, Kilgore did not allow a pressure on the day and finished with an 85.3 pass-blocking grade.

Matchup: San Francisco 49ers offense vs. New York Giants defense
  • C Daniel Kilgore vs. DI Damon Harrison — It’s been a rocky season for San Francisco’s veteran center, whose 43.8 overall grade ranks 29th out of 36 qualifying centers, a considerable drop from his 71.6 overall grade a season ago. Kilgore struggled mightily last week against Arizona’s Corey Peters, contributing to 17.1 pass-block grade that was the fourth worst given to a center this season (Kilgore also owns the worst run block grade for a center this year, 24.0, which came in San Francisco’s first game versus the Cardinals). Life won’t get any easier this week, as Kilgore will match up with the NFL’s premier run-stuffing nose tackle. Snacks has made 16 run tackles within two yards of the line of scrimmage preventing a first down this season, tied for the second most among interior defenders behind Grady Jarrett.

The 49ers have allowed just eight quarterback pressures on sixty two passing plays with particularly strong play from presumptive starting offensive tackles Joe Staley and Trenton Brown and center Daniel Kilgore, all of which have a PBE of 100.0.

I took note of some things I’ve already observed: Joe Staley struggled to start the season, Laken Tomlinson is not good, Daniel Kilgore is incredibly average, Erik Magnuson was better than expected, but still iffy and ... Zane Beadles was bad.

751 shares
tweet
email

By: Chris Biderman | February 14, 2018 5:29 pm ET Follow @ChrisBiderman

Jimmy Garoppolo will have a chance to take snaps from the center that helped break him into Kyle Shanahan’s offense in 2018 and beyond.

The 49ers on Wednesday re-signed veteran Daniel Kilgore to a three-year contract through 2020, ensuring San Francisco will have continuity along the offensive line heading into Garoppolo’s first full season as the starting quarterback.

Kilgore, 30, is one of the most respected and key figures in the locker room – and he’s also one of Joe Staley’s closest friends on the team.

The advanced metrics from Pro Football Focus say Kilgore was a below-average center for most of last season. But he performed well enough in his teammates’ eyes to win the Bobb McKittrick Award given to the offensive lineman who best exemplifies courage, intensity and sacrifice.

Kilgore, per PFF, got off to a rough start before improving as 2017 wore on. He played particularly well when Garoppolo was the starter over the last five games. He had a clean sheet in pass protection.

Between getting rid of guys with a penchant for penalties and hiring better position coaches, I expect us to be a more disciplined team and the penalties will go way, way, way down. Gase needs to get that monkey off his back. I think he will.

IMO playing sound football is half the battle.
funny you mention penalties. When I think penalties the first 3 names that come to mind are Suh,Pouncey and Landry

Ozzy rules!!

I am so happy Miami will finally have a good O line. By what I saw last year I fully expect Davis to take that RG spot from Larsen very fast and do a sound job in that role. If Tunsil can play to half of his expectations the Dolphins will have a great offense.

Don't listen to anybody that says Larsen has a chance to win that RG job. Jesse Davis might wind up being the best guy on this line.

Kilgore will be fine since we don't practice the reach technique. Our guys specialize in the pray and/or hold technique and the only reaching is with their arms. Can't believe they FINALLY realized that we needed to get some veterans on this line. If these guys pan out it will be the 1st time in forever we've had someone solid or better at all 5 positions and had some type of quality backing them up. I still think I'd go and get a C early in the draft so that we have someone to take over in case Kilgore regresses.

Thank you for the awesome reviews!

Don't listen to anybody that says Larsen has a chance to win that RG job. Jesse Davis might wind up being the best guy on this line.

He already is the best among the incumbents and I thought for sure he'd be replacing James at RT. Maybe they'll end up moving James to RG and let Davis dominate on the end of the line.

Which is why I'd actually wished we'd have traded James to Denver for a 3rd or Matt Paradis and simply installed Jesse Davis at RT. It would have been another upgrade. Davis looked excellent last year at both spots on the right side.

also half the penalties of Pouncey who led the league centers in #s and yards cost
We got rid of some dummies and brought in some smarter guys. I expect the penalties to go down on the o-line this year.

Podcast is great dude, keep killing it! Reading through this forum is insufferable and so are a lot of the other podcasts, so you're filling the void. Appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom