Fins announce new WR coach and new roles for Jefferson and Christensen | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Fins announce new WR coach and new roles for Jefferson and Christensen

Gase didn't play football in college...was a pretty good QB coach.

Belichick played at a small school and was a better lacrosse player...
Oh I know there are probably a ton of examples proving me wrong... Im not saying it's definately a bad thing, just that I have a hard time grasping the concept...

I don't know... This is just an un-researched belief I have... I mean logically, Players who get drafted in the NFL have been coached to play their position their entire life, I just don't know how someone who never played the position, or wasnt very good at playing football in the first place, could teach them anything they dont already know...?

When it comes to coordinators and HCs, its another story, IMO, because they work on overall strategy and management...

I understand where you're coming from on this, but lets take a different look.

What about someone who wasn't as physically talented as other athletes, and had to learn every nuance in the game just to be competitive? Those are the type of people who learned on their own or were coached to stress the fundamental techniques that help one become as good as or better than a more talented player. I wonder how much insight a former player that got by on talent alone would have for a current player who is talented, but struggling to put the last pieces together to complete their game.

Steve Ross old school GM business philosophy: You like your human resources but they aren't doing a particularly good job. Fire them? Nah, give them a different job title. You're filthy rich, you don't care.

IF that's his philosophy, and he got rich using it, then that implies it works, right?

Oh I know there are probably a ton of examples proving me wrong... Im not saying it's definately a bad thing, just that I have a hard time grasping the concept...

I mean, he played QB in college and he is oddly a holdover from Philbin era so he must of have done something to gain Gase's trust. When Gase is getting rid of people left and right and this guy sticks around?

I understand where you're coming from on this, but lets take a different look.

What about someone who wasn't as physically talented as other athletes, and had to learn every nuance in the game just to be competitive? Those are the type of people who learned on their own or were coached to stress the fundamental techniques that help one become as good as or better than a more talented player. I wonder how much insight a former player that got by on talent alone would have for a current player who is talented, but struggling to put the last pieces together to complete their game.
That actually makes alot of sense, thanks!

Eh you have to start somewhere. Better someone who just worked there way up than someone who has been through every other team like foerster
When they work themselves up in a successful, winning org yes but ours? Hmmm, time will tell

IF that's his philosophy, and he got rich using it, then that implies it works, right?

It's just something that I have been spitballing for a while. I think that many of the moves the Dolphins make within the organization with respect to personnel are very much influenced by the old school philosophy of human resources retention that was taught when Ross was in business school. Does it work for football teams? Hell if I know. I just think you can see it present in so many of our personnel decisions since Ross took over the team. Examples:

1. Trying to hire Harbaugh while seeing if Sparano would stay on as an assistant coach (yes, this was apparently tried!).
2. Asking Ireland to take a different position with the team rather than firing him outright.
3. Shuffling Dawn Aponte around after Tannenbaum arrived before she took another job elsewhere.
4. The team trying very hard to retain Campbell as an assistant head coach type when Gase was hired.
5. After deciding that Christensen and Jefferson were doing a poor or inadequate job in their current positions, the team went and created entirely new positions for them. Jefferson's position in particular is a little strange to me. I don't think I've ever seen someone be an assistant head coach with no other title before on a pro football team. Maybe someone else has an example of that?

I would guess that a couple of the coaches who were outright fired (RBs and DL) simply had very poor performance evaluations over a two year period. In the case of Anarumo, reporters have said there were rumblings that it was more of a case of Anarumo being upset when he was passed over for promotion. That's unfortunate, but good luck to Lou. He did a good job here.

That new role by Clyde Christensen seem like a position they created to get him off the field, what are the responsibilities of that position?

While he technically won’t be on the coaching staff, Christensen will still be a fixture at practice. He will still have a say in the crafting of the game plan.

"He will still have a say in crafting of the game plan"
LORD HELP US, BECAUSE OUR GAME PLANS WERE SO "OUTSTANDING"

While he technically won’t be on the coaching staff, Christensen will still be a fixture at practice. He will still have a say in the crafting of the game plan.

"He will still have a say in crafting of the game plan"
LORD HELP US, BECAUSE OUR GAME PLANS WERE SO "OUTSTANDING"

I have no idea what the gameplans looked look.

Though I figure guys not running the right route, the C jumping offside every other play and the QB repeatedly throwing the ball to a DB 15 yards infront of the closest WR probably wernt part of it.

Coaching has to be better, but none of these changes mean anything if we dont get a better group of players on the field next year

I have no idea what the gameplans looked look.

Though I figure guys not running the right route, the C jumping offside every other play and the QB repeatedly throwing the ball to a DB 15 yards infront of the closest WR probably wernt part of it.

Coaching has to be better, but none of these changes mean anything if we dont get a better group of players on the field next year

One of the problems (Cutler) is solved. Some of the problems (missed assignments) will disappear due to experience. I know penalties can be corrected but can only hope they are. The team DOES have good players, but the bad ones are REAL bad

I think, that for position coaches, playing experience matters... What is this guy going to teach WRs? He wasnt a WR, hell he wasnt even a good football player...

Even playing backup QB at a P5 college means you are a good player. He didn't play WR but as a QB he had to understand the WR position and route running and develop communication with those receivers. Let's see what he does for Miami.

So we have 3 coaches who have titles of assistant head coach: Frank Bush, Darren Rizzi and now Shawn Jefferson.

When an assistant gets that title it's like a step forward in the move to being considered a HC. This title will bump them up in getting noticed for future HC jobs.

I think people are making too much about coaches that "didn't play that position".......if we go by that then nobody should ever be a HC because nobody played every position. Let's just see how everyone does in 2018

Ozzy rules!!

Back
Top Bottom