Fins announce new WR coach and new roles for Jefferson and Christensen | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Fins announce new WR coach and new roles for Jefferson and Christensen

I think clyde probably wanted to be more in the shadows

I don't much look at it like he got demoted

I think Gase wanted to bring in his buddy to help with scheming and he went to Christensen and said I need some more help on offense, do you mind if I give him the OC title? To which Christensen replied: whatevs.

Didn't Rizzi get a promotion from assistant head coach last year? Yes, google is my friend, he is associate head coach now.

Christensen always seemed like a smart guy, but I don't think he had that enforcer mentality a coach needs to have. I don't see this as a demotion either. Gase is looking at his staff and assessing their strengths and weaknesses, and aligning their responsibilities to their strengths. We certanly dont want a situation where the Head Coach is too stubborn to make a change, like the Philbin and Sherman situation. I like the moves Gase is making.

I don't think I like coaches who look at football the same way....Obviously, opposites don't always attract but if your philosophy is struggling, that's one less person you can ask for advice.

Your probably already doing what they would do in that situation lol. We'll see, I do like the actual movement early on....

I like the idea of a small coaching staff. A big coaching staff with too many coaches makes it easy for others to poach and destroy strategies.

Did people actually think Todd Haley was going to come be second fiddle to an Adam Gase?

Oh I know there are probably a ton of examples proving me wrong... Im not saying it's definately a bad thing, just that I have a hard time grasping the concept...

A good counter example would be if you saw A Beautiful Mind. Knowing a subject and knowing how to teach are totally independent things. In physical activities it's very easy to see a guy who can't actually do jack, but who is an excellent teacher and has a solid grasp on the technique and fundamentals.

What I don't understand is, if supposedly they're replacing Christensen because the communication wasn't great, why they're keeping him around

So we have 3 coaches who have titles of assistant head coach: Frank Bush, Darren Rizzi and now Shawn Jefferson.
Slight correction. Rizzi is listed as the Associate Head Coach/Special Teams. While Bush And Jefferson are listed as Assistant Head Coaches. I don't know the difference between an Associate Head Coach and an Assistant Head Coach.
Other thing that strikes me is that the coaching organization structure seems very messy. I presume that Jefferson reports to the Offensive Coordinator, Loggains. However, as Assistant Head Coach/Offense he may also report directly to Gase. It is not clear to me what are his responsibilities. With so many cooks in the kitchen, it may be confusing to others as well, where responsibilities overlap.
Some years ago in a corporate role I got to analyze organizations and my consistent finding was that clearly defined relatively straight forward organization structures consistently work best. I would expect that the same principles apply to football teams, as well.
My general impression is that maybe they have come up with some of these obtuse convoluted titles as a means of giving these guys the perception of greater status and justification to pay them more. When you have a billionaire picking up the tab for everything and he is eager for success, egos get massaged. However, I expect that Gase may have to learn the hard way that simple, clearly defined org structures work best.

I understand where you're coming from on this, but lets take a different look.

What about someone who wasn't as physically talented as other athletes, and had to learn every nuance in the game just to be competitive? Those are the type of people who learned on their own or were coached to stress the fundamental techniques that help one become as good as or better than a more talented player. I wonder how much insight a former player that got by on talent alone would have for a current player who is talented, but struggling to put the last pieces together to complete their game.
Like him or not, this was the argument for Dan Campbell when he was here. How he stuck around as a player as long as he did suggests he followed the mold above. I still miss him. I like Gase so eh but wish Campbell was still on staff - perhaps developing players.

Like him or not, this was the argument for Dan Campbell when he was here. How he stuck around as a player as long as he did suggests he followed the mold above. I still miss him. I like Gase so eh but wish Campbell was still on staff - perhaps developing players.

I wish we had kept Campbell too. Maybe as an assistant head coach but I really liked him. Thought it was a big loss.

Back
Top Bottom