Fins trade for Robert Quinn - 4th round pick and swap of 6ths | Page 37 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Fins trade for Robert Quinn - 4th round pick and swap of 6ths

Bucs, Browns both tried to trade for Quinn
6557.jpg

ESPN's Jenna Laine reports the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Cleveland Browns both tried to trade for former Rams DE Robert Quinn.

The Bucs reportedly offered a fourth-round pick and the Browns a fifth, but the Dolphins acquired him for a fourth-round pick and an exchange of sixth-round picks. With the number of draft picks the Browns have, it's fairly surprising they weren't able to work out a deal for a player that could help improve their pass-rush.

Ozzy rules!!

Considering the Browns track record at drafting they should have coughed up the pick for a sure thing. Like the article says they had the ammo

The Quinn move to me is a replacement for Wake. That also means he’s a replacement for Wake’s salary.

Once he’s off the books it’s basiclally no difference. Also, people worry about the salary cap entirely to much. It’s a number that can be manipulated with relative ease.

Agree that they just wanted to shift him to invest money in other extenions.

And our FO loves nothing better than a player with injury flags.

Though for a 4th this seems a good gamble. The issue is the amount of cap space they wasted on previous defensive free agents

We appear to have made an excellent trade!

Why are you trying to erode its value by gripping about past perceived poor contracts, while many that were loudly complained about were not actually bad; its just that some poster didn't like them.

This is the Dolphins team of today, not yesterday. As far as I am concerned anything that happened with the team prior to 2016, when the Gase era began, is past history. Our front office is clearly functional, the coaching staff is consistently being upgraded whether we have had a winning season or not, when coach Gase talks to the press he provides straight answers while occasionally helping the correspondents better form their poorly focused questions and the drafts for the last two years have been consistently good.

All this improvement the team is consistently making seems to be "conveniently" ignored by many of our posters in order to bathe in pity for previous decades of poor performance. Why would you go into an undefined part of our past history to bring up past complaints that may or may not be justified when addressing what even you think is a good gamble made by the FO?

I have never heard a good reason as to why this kind of negativity keeps pooping up!

Look at the two teams that were reportedly interested in trading for him, and then add the Dolphins.

They all have something in common the last decade.
We got a great player for a steal. Don't care who the other teams were it's a win for the fins but pout away like you always do.

We appear to have made an excellent trade!

Why are you trying to erode its value by gripping about past perceived poor contracts, while many that were loudly complained about were not actually bad; its just that some poster didn't like them.

This is the Dolphins team of today, not yesterday. As far as I am concerned anything that happened with the team prior to 2016, when the Gase era began, is past history. Our front office is clearly functional, the coaching staff is consistently being upgraded whether we have had a winning season or not, when coach Gase talks to the press he provides straight answers while occasionally helping the correspondents better form their poorly focused questions and the drafts for the last two years have been consistently good.

All this improvement the team is consistently making seems to be "conveniently" ignored by many of our posters in order to bathe in pity for previous decades of poor performance. Why would you go into an undefined part of our past history to bring up past complaints that may or may not be justified when addressing what even you think is a good gamble made by the FO?

I have never heard a good reason as to why this kind of negativity keeps pooping up!

I see your point. But I don't think looking at the likes of Kiko, Branch, Timmons, Mcdonald etc really count as ancient history.

Look at what we are spending on what I consider to be a bad D:

How many players on that list did we draft? How many are high level players?

You may have seen consistent improvements over the last few years, but even before Tannehill went down last year I had many concerns and predicted a tough year ahead.

I respect you as a poster and respect your right to disagree with me. However, just like the teams of yesterday, I continue to see much to gripe about with the Dolphins team of today.

Hopefully this move (which I liked) is the first step to addressing the many deep flaws on our roster.

If Quinn stays healthy overall, this should be a really good pickup for us. 4th round pick for a young All-Pro just a few years removed, who dealt with some injuries and had to play 3-4 OLB instead of his All Pro 4-3 DE, now has a chance to return to his natural position, a season of health behind him, to a defense hungry for playmakers. Worth a shot.

If Quinn stays healthy overall, this should be a really good pickup for us. 4th round pick for a young All-Pro just a few years removed, who dealt with some injuries and had to play 3-4 OLB instead of his All Pro 4-3 DE, now has a chance to return to his natural position, a season of health behind him, to a defense hungry for playmakers. Worth a shot.

This, exactly. Trying to pick him up after his best season would have been far more expensive. Not just in salary, but also in compensation. If the Patriots had made a move of this caliber, everyone would have wet their pants over it. Well, not literally. I hope.

I see your point. But I don't think looking at the likes of Kiko, Branch, Timmons, Mcdonald etc really count as ancient history.

Look at what we are spending on what I consider to be a bad D:

How many players on that list did we draft? How many are high level players?

You may have seen consistent improvements over the last few years, but even before Tannehill went down last year I had many concerns and predicted a tough year ahead.

I respect you as a poster and respect your right to disagree with me. However, just like the teams of yesterday, I continue to see much to gripe about with the Dolphins team of today.

Hopefully this move (which I liked) is the first step to addressing the many deep flaws on our roster.

McDonald at 2.5 is excellent. Timmons will be gone. Might offer Quinn a longer term deal and drastically reduce that number once we get a feel for him. Should improve that graphic somewhat :)

Aside from the cap perspective I can't see how anyone can really be mad with this move. Basically just a 4th rounder for Robert Quinn? Yeah I'll take that deal any day.

What they gave up is worth the risk. Besides, even being half he player he was is better than Branch.
yes but we add more millions. That means we have to cut more players and restructure more deals to get under the cap and extend these bad deals already in place

How is this about Suh??? Ndamukong Suh plays DT while Wake and Quinn both play DE. Wake is 36. Quinn is 27. I repeat my question - How is this trade for Robert Quinn all about Suh?

I’m not trying to speak for the poster who you are asking the question to but I am myself starting to suspect that Suh is getting cut June 1. They tried building around Suh with varying levels of success but it is still not right and throw in the rumor that Suh’s house is for sale.

With Quinn on board it is just too much money tied up in the dline and it’s quite possible that Vita Veta is the target as Suh’s replacement.

Branch wasn't very productive last season. Wake is a year older.
We needed another frontline DE to pressure the QB.
This is a very weak DE FA and Draft class.
Quinn will thrive in 4/3 DE role. This is a solid- very little downside move.
IMO it solidifies DL rotation for 2018.
One less hole to plug.

Back
Top Bottom