Fins trade for Robert Quinn - 4th round pick and swap of 6ths | Page 38 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Fins trade for Robert Quinn - 4th round pick and swap of 6ths

I love seeing people in threads not understanding salary cap, then complain about the salary cap.

Quinn's salary # isn't cost prohibitive-
Miami is in a position to create plenty of space to sign Landry and a FA Olineman.
Their remaining needs can be addressed in the draft.
Whether Landry and Miami comes to terms depends on guaranteed money at this point.
Next season, we will be able to clear another 20 mill + dead money. Branch , Kiko certainly will be gone.
If Quinn produces he will be extended and his $$ will be converted to a signing bonus which will create more room.

Since Gase has been here Miami hasn't splurged on FAs..

I doubt that'll change, even though I think they're gonna make a play on Allen Robinson.

I mean lets not kid ourselves . . . Even though the cap can be manipulated and contracts can be shed . . . Adding the Quinn deal to our cap, pushing it near 20 million over is not a great situation to be in.

Yes, we can cut are starters at SLB, TE, RT and trade/rescind the tag on our top WR . . . .but that puts a lot of pressure on hole filling in FA with second and third tier guys who were jettisoned by other teams and hitting on draft picks.

So we are 20 over and can clear 37 with subtractions of James, Landry, Timmons and Thomas.

That is 17 million free.

Draft class takes about 6 or 7 . . . So lets says roughly 10 million free for free agency.

Need a Te or 2 as Fasano is a FA.

You also need a RT, a LG (Larsen is a RG), a FS (TJ is a hybrid), a LB, a backup QB, a RB and maybe a WR.

You can gamble with current UDFAs and journeyman on the OLine and hope to fill the rest of the needs in the draft but the situation requires a lot of luck and development and no guarantees we get at least as competent as we have been at some of those positions.

Then even if all these guys step up, our depth gets weakened significantly, something that has been an issue for years.

It all needs to go right, but clearly while cap is certainly overblown . . . Miami’s cap situation is less than ideal and one of the worst in the NFL.

I mean lets not kid ourselves . . . Even though the cap can be manipulated and contracts can be shed . . . Adding the Quinn deal to our cap, pushing it near 20 million over is not a great situation to be in.

Yes, we can cut are starters at SLB, TE, RT and trade/rescind the tag on our top WR . . . .but that puts a lot of pressure on hole filling in FA with second and third tier guys who were jettisoned by other teams and hitting on draft picks.

So we are 20 over and can clear 37 with subtractions of James, Landry, Timmons and Thomas.

That is 17 million free.

Draft class takes about 6 or 7 . . . So lets says roughly 10 million free for free agency.

Need a Te or 2 as Fasano is a FA.

You also need a RT, a LG (Larsen is a RG), a FS (TJ is a hybrid), a LB, a backup QB, a RB and maybe a WR.

You can gamble with current UDFAs and journeyman on the OLine and hope to fill the rest of the needs in the draft but the situation requires a lot of luck and development and no guarantees we get at least as competent as we have been at some of those positions.

Then even if all these guys step up, our depth gets weakened significantly, something that has been an issue for years.

It all needs to go right, but clearly while cap is certainly overblown . . . Miami’s cap situation is less than ideal and one of the worst in the NFL.
the holes were there with the players in place, they needed to be filled with or without cuts

I'm surprised he got traded for that kind of compensation. Does he have some behavioral issues?

As for Wake, I hope they can maybe get him to stay with a reduced salary instead of being cut.

I'm surprised he got traded for that kind of compensation. Does he have some behavioral issues?

As for Wake, I hope they can maybe get him to stay with a reduced salary instead of being cut.
None that I'm aware of, but he has had a heart (brain?) condition in the past.

Last edited:
I don't remember ever seeing anything about a heart condition.

But he does have a brain tumor that was diagnosed as a child that has never given him any complications.

I don't remember ever seeing anything about a heart condition.

But he does have a brain tumor that was diagnosed as a child that has never given him any complications.
Could have beeen brain. I knew it was something unrealted to behavior.

I’ve begun to feel the same way, after initially being excited about the trade. In reading more about his injury history and drop off in play, it scares me to think he’ll flop in Miami? 8 1/2 in 2017 playing out of position is impressive, but, back issues are usually hard to get over, once they start. I’m hopeful coming to Miami, playing in the wide 9 as 4-3 DE and with an absolutely fabulous DL Coach will motivate him once again. I’m at the very least hopeful, but also concerned he’s going to fail.
I remember a great talent that missed a year with back injuries and fell in the draft. We didn't take him for that very reason, and he did end up having injury issues in the future.

Instead, we took Koa Misi ... instead of the back injured guy I wanted ... Rob Gronkowski. Guess Im OK with taking a chance on greatness.

I’m surprised the Patriots weren’t involved here. This is a typical Patriots player. 1st round talent can be had on the cheap for whatever reason. I still like that trade.

@ArmandoSalguero: I'm told the Dolphins believe Robert Quinn's back and other health issues from the past couple of years are not a problem now.

The fins have such a good record when it comes to taking chances on players with injury flags....

@ArmandoSalguero: I'm told the Dolphins believe Robert Quinn's back and other health issues from the past couple of years are not a problem now.

The fins have such a good record when it comes to taking chances on players with injury flags....

Yeah but at least the risk is low. Not a move that will haunt you. Plus he fits the D to a 't' and can set the edge opposite Hayes for the pass rushers to come in fresh.

I'll go way out on a limp and say going into the season banking on Branch and Harris to make a difference would've been less than ideal.

The Dolphins gave up their higher 4th round pick (11th, 111th overall) to the Rams and kept their 31st (131st overall) which they got from the Patriots via the Eagles. In the 6th-round pick swap, the Rams got the Dolphins high pick (9th, 183rd overall) and the Dolphins got the Rams compensatory pick at 35th (209th overall).

Back
Top Bottom