First round Lb? Does it make sense for Miami | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

First round Lb? Does it make sense for Miami

Foster will be a Dolphin before his career is over. He has injury concerns and off field issues so he’ll get a prove-it contract after SF releases him. Then an extension while serving an 8 game suspension.

I would love for Miami to draft a stud LB to once and for all solidify that group.

Last edited:
Foster is a good LB, but he's not in Keuchly or Lewis' range. He wasn't coming out of Alabama, and he wasn't as a rookie for SF. Foster was not - at all - a clean prospect coming out of Alabama, with health and character being the two big red flags. He only played 10 games as a rookie, and he's already gotten himself in trouble this off season. Foster doesn't have tier-1 instincts like Keuchly and Lewis. While he made plays at SF, he also gave up plays by being late to react, and he doesn't make plays on the ball in the passing game. The latter criticism can also be applied to Roquan Smith, but Smith is much, much cleaner than Foster - doesn't have the health or character concerns, and, as I mentioned earlier, he's 2 years younger than Foster was coming out of Alabama. Smith also totaled 85 solo tackles to Foster's 60, so he found the ball at a notably higher rate than Foster did. Their instincts look similar, but Smith is faster. So, in Smith, you have a guy with more room for growth, more speed, more production, and you have a guy who doesn't come with health and character concerns.

I'd rather not draft a LB in the 1st that only plays 10 games and gets into trouble. I don't really care how good his hit highlights look.
Well looks like I was wrong on Foster. Arrested again. Love the talent but seems like he really does have issues.

well now that's 2 teams Edmunds must get past san fran and Oakland...san fran 34 silb thumper...foster was playing out of position if he wasn't the 34 wilb in san fran

Zach Cunningham was a much better prospect than most the kids in this lb class... the texas kid might be more of a north south missile but his feel for the position doesn't come close to cunninghams...

matthew Thomas on day 3 is interesting but evidently he has an extensive injury history...game looks wlb but athlete doesn't look ideal for it...solid player though...his smarts as a wolb would have to offset the athlete...that's hard to do at the nfl level...poa play meh and a little light in the pants considering the athlete

sam looks 2 downish to me...thumper type...poor mans vontaze burflict maybe...faster but instincts not on the same level

best bargain is josey jewell

vander esch and darius leonard most upside although id categorize leonards as a little risky

all but matthew Thomas hear their names called in the first 2 days...possibly sam joins him depending on what he runs

steer clear of the texas kid cause the explosion athlete for his size is gonna get him overdrafted

Cunningham has some of the best instincts I've seen, and he handles OL about as well as any LB I've seen. His speed is good enough, particularly in a 3-4, but it is a limiting factor. One of his knocks was missed tackles, but I think most people attribute those missed tackles to poor form or lack of strength. I saw them on the edge or perimeter, when he couldn't quite catch a RB or WR. I think I had Cunningham around 21st overall, and I hyped him quite a bit last year. All that said, LB's separate themselves in this version of the NFL with their play against the pass. I think all of Smith, Vander Esch, Edmunds, and Jefferson have better speed and project to be better players in space/against the pass.

Bpa wise id agree but I think they are gonna see him as a 34 olb.

My moneys on Edmunds or Derwin James being the card
Derwin James if available is looking more and more like the smartest pick.

One thing I like about Smith is that he is a leader, something everyone agrees was lacking in 2017

I read today that the Dolphins are interested in Tahir Whitehead, Preston Brown & Zach Brown in free agency.

I read today that the Dolphins are interested in Tahir Whitehead, Preston Brown & Zach Brown in free agency.

Add one of those and miamis out of the lb market

Preston brown doesn’t fix nickel range and lacks the size at the poa for the scheme as a mike. Solid player just undersized and lacks range

Add one of those and miamis out of the lb market

Preston brown doesn’t fix nickel range and lacks the size at the poa for the scheme as a mike. Solid player just undersized and lacks range

Agreed. Whoever they get - FA or rookie - has to be able to cover.

With Derrick Johnson hitting the market (another lb that lacks range and cover) kc will be in the market for a starting backer too

I’ve heard Washington is gonna offer zach brown a multi year pact best bet may be Tahir Whitehead in free agency.

If we do add a starting lb in free agency I’d really think about trading up from 11 but it probably has to be for a 43 de and I’m not sure anyone would gift miami a top day 7 pick if chubb was there

With Derrick Johnson hitting the market (another lb that lacks range and cover) kc will be in the market for a starting backer too

I’ve heard Washington is gonna offer zach brown a multi year pact best bet may be Tahir Whitehead in free agency.

If we do add a starting lb in free agency I’d really think about trading up from 11 but it probably has to be for a 43 de and I’m not sure anyone would gift miami a top day 7 pick if chubb was there

If we get Chubb I'd lose my mind, Easily the best defensive prospect in this class.

What is Tahir Whitehead’s speciality? Stout run defender? Good in coverage? Good instincts?

As far as i know hes an olb, thought he was a solid player but not sure where he excels?

Preston Brown is 6'1 251 lbs. Another LB on the market is Nigel Bradham.

damn...where the hell did I get that from? ok he's bigger than I thought...still doesn't have great range for the nickel though and with raekwon already with suspect range id like to do better in that regard

Back
Top Bottom