First Round Targets (as of Dec. 2) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

First Round Targets (as of Dec. 2)

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
If the draft were held today, Miami would have pick #11 (from Houston) and pick #22 in the first round.

I think these players are likely top 10 picks: Trevor Lawrence, Justin Fields, Penei Sewell, Michah Parsons, Trey Lance, Patrick Surtain II, Ja'Marr Chase, Caleb Farley, Gregory Rousseau, Jaylen Waddle

Targets for Miami at #11

Waddle, Chase or Parsons if they drop down. Unlikely I think.

Trade Down

Could be a big possibility with so many teams looking for a quarterback. Trey Lance, if he doesn't go top 10, and BYU's Zach Wilson could still be on the board.

DeVonta Smith Wr., Alabama
With his precise route running, Smith is probably the absolute perfect fit for a quarterback like Tua. He's the early favorite for me.

Rondale Moore, Wr. Purdue
Personally, I think he makes it to #22, but it's possible he goes top 15. Definitely explosive.

Kyle Pitts, TE, Florida
Could be the next uncoverable tight end in the NFL. Not quite as fast, but reminds me of Shannon Sharpe. Miami has some talent at the position so hard to imagine going the TE route. But wow!

Kwity Paye, DE Michigan
Seems awfully high to me, but I've also seen him mocked top 5.

Rashad Bateman, Wr. Minnesota
Seems high and maybe too much like Parker and Williams. Talented though.

Shaun Wade, CB Ohio State
Wade has a shot at the top 10. Can't see Miami taking a corner this high.

Wyatt Davis, OG, Ohio State
If he could play tackle and guard, I think Davis would be a possibility. I don't see Miami going offensive line this early though.

Others?

Targets for Miami at #22

Any of the above who drop down

Nick Bolton, MLB Missouri
Bolton is a big-time hitter who covers a lot of ground. At 232 he is a little small, but only eight pounds less than Parsons. MLB is a big need for Miami as well. Personally, I love Bolton.

Zaven Collins, LB TCU
Reminds me a little bit of Jason Taylor. He's a big play maker, who is extremely intriguing.

Christian Barmore, DT Alabama
With the way Davis has been playing at NT/DT for Miami, adding talent here may be a mid/late round possibility.

Alex Leatherwood, OL, Alabama
I could see this, but I think a lot depends on how Robert Hunt plays for Miami down the stretch. Leatherwood has the versatility of guard and tackle, which fits what the Dolphins like.

Carlos Basham DL Wake Forest
I'm not as high on him as some others, but gets some top 15 love in mocks.

Travis Etienne, RB Clemson
Would Miami consider a running back in the first round? Etienne has round 1 talent. Very explosive.

Pat Freiermuth, TE Penn State
A complete tight end who can block. Not nearly as dynamic as Pitts in the passing game.

Jayson Oweh, DE Penn State
Talent and production haven't come together yet, but should test off the charts.

Creed Humphrey, C, Oklahoma
Will the Dolphins resign Karras? If not, Humphrey is a big possibility here.

Terrace Marshall, WR, LSU
If Miami doesn't draft a wide receiver with the Houston pick, Marshall could be a target. A big receiver with deceptive speed.

Qunicy Roche, pass rusher, Miami
Setting the edge is an issue, but maybe in a Van Noy role?

Patrick Jones, DL Pittsburgh
Don't see him mocked R1 very often, but I like Jones.

Others?

Last edited:
Azeez Ojulari and Eric Stokes are 2 Georgia Bulldogs that have a chance at going in round 1. Ojulari would be an OLB that can really get after the QB. Stokes is a very good CB.

I am drooling over Davonta Smith.
I don't know a whole lot about player eval, but I know when a guy has something special, and that WR does.
If D Smith is there at 11, and those players you mentioned are gone from 1-10, I run Smith's name to the commish.
The 22 pick is tougher. Etienne is tempting, as is Humphrey, or Leatherwood.
Also, starting to like Ossai from Texas. Seems like a Flores guy.

Personally, I see WR, RB, LB and OL as our top needs. And I expect the draft will line up well enough for us to address those needs with our 1st and 2nd round picks. Assuming Parsons is gone I'm hoping for Waddle or Smith with the earlier pick (I don't care which one) and Collins, Etienne or Humphrey with the later first. If the WRs drop a bit, as they often do on draft day, I wouldn't mind a small trade down with some QB hungry team. My early December expectation is that we'll address WR in the 1st and one of LB, RB or OL then pick up whatever two of those four positions weren't addressed in the 2nd.

I expect that we'll try to resign Karras and I wouldn't be surprised if we made another run at Thuney, G. I think he could be the one big FA we sign this off-season. Other potential big FA targets are Ju Ju or Godwin at WR or maybe Aaron Jones, RB who looks like GB will not resign. They have pursued multiple FA RBs, some of them big money targets, but my gut says the strongest push will be for Thuney.

I would be thrilled if our off-season played out that way.

I am drooling over Davonta Smith.
I don't know a whole lot about player eval, but I know when a guy has something special, and that WR does.
If D Smith is there at 11, and those players you mentioned are gone from 1-10, I run Smith's name to the commish.
The 22 pick is tougher. Etienne is tempting, as is Humphrey, or Leatherwood.
Also, starting to like Ossai from Texas. Seems like a Flores guy.
Pair up a receiver, like Smith, who runs perfect routes with a quarterback whose as accurate as Tua and that just feels like a winning combination. Not that Waddle wouldn't be a huge get.

The further Miami's own pick falls in the 1st round, I believe a RB becomes a more viable target for the Dolphins. For example if the pick falls somewhere after #25, its very possible Miami targets one of the RB's. My personal choices for Miami that late in round one, would be either Pittsburgh DE Patrick Jones, Alabama RB Najee Harris or Minnesota WR Rashod Bateman.

If Miami's pick falls somewhere between 18 and 25, they may look at an Offensive Lineman, but Devonta Smith if available, I think Miami jumps on him. Too good a value in that range. Or perhaps rising star, Tulsa LB Zaven Collins?

The Houston pick in think, eventually ends up in the 8-10 range. I'm not betting against Watson to get 2 more wins.

In that range, the cup board is a bit more murky, Miami could go in any direction. Linebacker is an obvious position of need and as we know so is WR. I truly don't think Parsons makes it past the top 7-8 picks. So that leaves Waddle, Chase or Smith.

The further Miami's own pick falls in the 1st round, I believe a RB becomes a more viable target for the Dolphins. For example if the pick falls somewhere after #25, its very possible Miami targets one of the RB's. My personal choices for Miami that late in round one, would be either Pittsburgh DE Patrick Jones, Alabama RB Najee Harris or Minnesota WR Rashod Bateman.

If Miami's pick falls somewhere between 18 and 25, they may look at an Offensive Lineman, but Devonta Smith if available, I think Miami jumps on him. Too good a value in that range. Or perhaps rising star, Tulsa LB Zaven Collins?

The Houston pick in think, eventually ends up in the 8-10 range. I'm not betting against Watson to get 2 more wins.

In that range, the cup board is a bit more murky, Miami could go in any direction. Linebacker is an obvious position of need and as we know so is WR. I truly don't think Parsons makes it past the top 7-8 picks. So that leaves Waddle, Chase or Smith.
That's a valid point. I think if Miami picks 22 or later, you start considering running backs in that range. It's also possible that the Dolphins trade back up into round 1, or the top of round 2 for a running back. They have the ammo to do that. Getting Smith and Harris in the first round wouldn't be disappointing either. Those are two huge needs, but would prefer to get a running back later than that.

I am very intrigued by Zaven Collins. Just screams Flores to me. Can move all over the place, very athletic, comes up with big plays.

The one player I could see the Dolphins trading up for is Parsons. If the Houston pick is inside the top 10, Miami might only have to move up a few spots.

That's a valid point. I think if Miami picks 22 or later, you start considering running backs in that range. It's also possible that the Dolphins trade back up into round 1, or the top of round 2 for a running back. They have the ammo to do that. Getting Smith and Harris in the first round wouldn't be disappointing either. Those are two huge needs, but would prefer to get a running back later than that.

I am very intrigued by Zaven Collins. Just screams Flores to me. Can move all over the place, very athletic, comes up with big plays.

The one player I could see the Dolphins trading up for is Parsons. If the Houston pick is inside the top 10, Miami might only have to move up a few spots.
You can't help getting excited about the possibilities, because the talent, matches the need at both spot the Dolphins potentially will be picking at. Earlier means a potential Parsons selection. Just tad bit later could mean Waddle, Chase or Smith. Then with the later pick, you get a chance at a LB in Collins, WR's in Smith, Moore, Bateman or Marshall. RB's in Etienne or Harris and a slew of Offensive Linemen. Miami is in good positions, in spite Houston winning more than was hoped for.

As for the DT/NT need, I think 2b or round 3 are the spots Miami may look to select one.

You can't help getting excited about the possibilities, because the talent, matches the need at both spot the Dolphins potentially will be picking at. Earlier means a potential Parsons selection. Just tad bit later could mean Waddle, Chase or Smith. Then with the later pick, you get a chance at a LB in Collins, WR's in Smith, Moore, Bateman or Marshall. RB's in Etienne or Harris and a slew of Offensive Linemen. Miami is in good positions, in spite Houston winning more than was hoped for.

As for the DT/NT need, I think 2b or round 3 are the spots Miami may look to select one.
No doubt. Miami can do a lot of damage in this draft. If the team wants to concentrate almost entirely on improving the offense, they could certainly do that with four picks in the first two rounds. Perhaps two receivers with Smith, Waddle or Chase the headliner. Perhaps a running back like Harris, Etienne or Williams. Maybe Humphrey at center.

If they want to take the defense up a notch, maybe you mix in a Collins or Bolton in round 1.

Of course, who knows what free agency will bring but I expect it will be much less impactful than last year. I think Miami will concentrate more on extending players who are a good fit with the team (Karras maybe, Ogbah for a longer contract)?

No matter what Miami does regarding the WR postion in 2021 draft, I'm sure it'll be someone they feels is the best fit at that spot. This draft seems like it's loaded at WR, where they may find an unexpected gift at WR later in the draft. But early on its Smith, Waddle and Chase for me. A late round possibility is SMU's Reggie Roberson. He's recovering from injury so he might slide a bit in the draft. But when healthy the guy is super talented and seems to always be open.

As for F/A, there's not much money to go around, so I tend to think Miami concentrates on it own, while the teams with bigger cap cushions will spend big.

My targets are as follows:

With the 1A, my entire goal is to get Sewell (very unlikely now), Parsons or Rousseau. I see these three as generational physical specimens who have dominated at early ages. From this spot, I would usually pass on college seniors. I want a guy who just dominated his peers and he did it before he was the oldest guy on the team. I am not a believer that guys who finally (rise on draft boards) begin to dominate as seniors are going to continue to dominate once they step up in class.
If I can't get one of these three... then my next move is to trade down.
If I can't swing a deal... then I hold my nose and look WR... preferably Chase or Smith. I'm not looking for a slot receiver this early... I'm just not.

At 2B: I'm now looking to fill a hole. Find a starter with a floor, who has shown that maybe he has a ceiling. I'm going to be more risk adverse than I was with a high pick (where I shoot for the moon). A WR here if I got one of my targets is my best bet. Smith, Waddle, Moore, Bateman all probably fit here. The Oklahoma Center, Humphrey fits here. Etienne fits here. Maybe one of the 2nd tier of LBrs, but I like some of the guys from lower down, so I'm not sure that is true value. So... If I've been forced to go WR at 1a, I'm looking Etienne or Humphrey here. I suppose that Leatherwood would fit, but I love Abraham Lucas... so... hmm...

Last edited:
My targets are as follows:

With the 1A, my entire goal is to get Sewell (very unlikely now), Parsons or Rousseau. I see these three as generational physical specimens who have dominated at early ages. From this spot, I would usually pass on college seniors. I want a guy who just dominated his peers and he did it before he was the oldest guy on the team. I am not a believer that guys who finally (rise on draft boards) begin to dominate as seniors are going to continue to dominate once they step up in class.
If I can't get one of these three... then my next move is to trade down.
If I can't swing a deal... then I hold my nose and look WR... preferably Chase or Smith. I'm not looking for a slot receiver this early... I'm just not.

At 2B: I'm now looking to fill a hole. Find a starter with a floor, who has shown that maybe he has a ceiling. I'm going to be more risk adverse than I was with a high pick (where I shoot for the moon). A WR here if I got one of my targets is my best bet. Smith, Waddle, Moore, Bateman all probably fit here. The Oklahoma Center, Humphrey fits here. Etienne fits here. Maybe one of the 2nd tier of LBrs, but I like some of the guys from lower down, so I'm not sure that is true value. So... If I've been forced to go WR at 1a, I'm looking Etienne or Humphrey here. I suppose that Leatherwood would fit, but I love Abraham Lucas... so... hmm...
Would you trade up for Sewell or Parsons? Both could be in range. Houston has won four of their last seven, so the Texans could get to 6-10 staying somewhere around that current 11th spot. Sewell, I think goes 3rd overall and Parsons somewhere in that 4-8 range. Rousseau scares me a little with just one year, although he showed a lot in that season.

I think you were the one that alerted me to Lucas. Perfect, perfect for Tua as the right tackle. I'd take him a little earlier than projected and make sure that happens, which would probably be pick 2b.

Back
Top Bottom