Five winners — and five disappointments — of Dolphins' summer | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Five winners — and five disappointments — of Dolphins' summer

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
Five good surprises
1. Davon Godchaux. Any time a fifth-round draft pick comes in and starts through preseason, he’s a good-news story. It hardly matters that Jordan Phillips is re-challenging for the starting job. Was this just the latest motivational ploy for Phillips? Maybe. The larger point is the Dolphins will need both of them in the tackle rotation. Godchaux has shown an ability to hold his own and make some plays. That’s a rarity for a low-round rookie at this position. Then again his back-story is rare as well, as I wrote in a recent column.
Five who disappointed
1. Charles Harris. This isn’t a conclusion, of course. But one preseason tackle for the No. 1 pick? And not really making himself a topic of conversation in camp? Sure, you expected a learning curve in the pros for an undersized pass-rushing defensive end. You also expect some flash of talent that shows why he was taken with the 21st pick overall. He showed it in the summer sessions. He took a step back when the pads went on. Compare that to Philadelphia’s 14th overall pick, Derek Barnett, who is drawing raves for his work. Again, there are no conclusions out of this. Just observations. And it looks like Harris will have a redshirt year this season to get stronger and work on his game.
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/dave-hyde-blog/fl-sp-hyde5-five-surprises-20170829-story.html

Not sure how you can call out Byron Maxwell and not call out Reshad Jones.

I get it "I'm not worried about Reshad" and "Byron Maxwell sucks" . . . . That last game was an absolute **** show by Reshad and that was his own real meaningful action. Coming off a season ending injury and a big contract extension I would like to hope this was a lot of rust and we aren't going to witness a noticeable downgrade in his play this season.

Would easily have him on this list over Leonte Carroo.

Not sure how you can call out Byron Maxwell and not call out Reshad Jones.

Pretty easily and you answered your own question as well. Jones has a pro bowl reputation, is one of the best at his position, and Maxwell has never sniffed such recognition.

I have the confidence that Jones will settle in seeing his first action in a long time. On the other hand, Maxwell consistently blows coverages, assignment, and tackles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty easily and you answered your won question as well. Jones has a pro bowl reputation, is one of the best at his position, and Maxwell has never sniffed such recognition.

I have the confidence that Jones will settle in seeing his first action in a long time. On the other hand, Maxwell consistently blows coverages, assignment, and tackles.

Doesn't mean his performance wasn't a disappointment though and that is what the article is highlighting.

It wouldn't even be a big deal if he wasn't so bad. Probably the worst half of football I have ever watched him play. Again hopefully it was just a bunch of rust.

Doesn't mean his performance wasn't a disappointment though and that is what the article is highlighting.

It wouldn't even be a big deal if he wasn't so bad. Probably the worst half of football I have ever watched him play. Again hopefully it was just a bunch of rust.

You do know that the Torrey Smith TD was on Maxwell, right?

Putting that play aside, there were missed tackles and bad angles and reads all over the field by Reshad. He was popping off the screen.

Agree. But again addressing your first comment, it's realistic to chalk up Jones' early struggles to "rust", while the continued concerns for Maxwell are in fact legitimate.

Godchaux and verner head the list.

Harris is getting a major education against guys that play on Sunday's. I'm not sure why Hyde thinks he's getting a red shirt looks to me like he's still a plan a sub package player.

Based on how well they worked together last year after a tough start,I think Maxwell and Jones might just be sandbagging. And the scheme isn't new anymore so I expect things to be better out of the gate this year.

Harris better not redshirt and he needs to make one or two positive plays each game when he rotates in. You can't afford zero production from your first two picks in the draft.

Julius Thomas is on Mario Williams watch until he shows otherwise.

No one on the disappointment list is really surprising. Julius Thomas has mailed it in ever since he received his contract, Jordan Philips flashes occasionally but still doesn't have a consistent motor. Byron Maxwell, if you can't beat out Verner who was just signed off the street a few weeks ago....

Godchaux has been a really nice surprise, but I'm worried about how he is going to hold up if he has to play >60% of the snaps a week. Our run D should continue to be shaky.

You can't redshirt your first round pick

There's no way he gets the "red shirt". He was brought in to get after the QB, plenty of opportunities to be had in that department. He probably won't start all year long, but he will get PT. Trying to think of what our NASCAR package would look like, both Andre and Hayes could probably kick inside.

I don't follow college ball so not really qualified here, but, I keep seeing references to Harris as undersized or show - if there were better physical specimens at DE why did we take this guy? Am confused.

Think about it. Who are the best players on this team right now?
Jarvis Landry (drafted by Hickey)
Jay Ajayi (drafted by Hickey)
Ndomukong Suh (free agent signing by Tannenbaum)
Reshad Jones (drafted by Ireland)
Ryan Tannehill (when he was healthy...drafted by Ireland)

If Parker plays in the regular season like he has in the preseason you can add him to the list (drafted by Hickey)

Who are some of the biggest disappointments so far?
Leonte Carroo (drafted by Tannenbaum and Ireland 2.0)
Jordan Phillips (drafted by Hickey who was forced to by Tannenbaum...yes it's been reported by a number of sources in Miami)
Charles Harris (drafted by Tannenbaum and Ireland 2.0)...yes it's early but even Dion Jordan had a sack in the preseason his rookie year.

Outside of Godchaux, who was a very fortunate find, I don't expect this class to contribute diddly squat. We'll see if last years class can take the next step but we got minimal contributions last year outside of Tunsil playing LG.

Based on how well they worked together last year after a tough start,I think Maxwell and Jones might just be sandbagging. And the scheme isn't new anymore so I expect things to be better out of the gate this year.

Actually Maxwell played most of his best ball for Miami after Jones was injured. I don't recall them looking that great in the first 6 games of the season when Jones was healthy. Jones was off to a decent start, but not Maxwell.

Back
Top Bottom