Florida State and Texas A&M to SEC? Internet buzz says yes | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Florida State and Texas A&M to SEC? Internet buzz says yes

BAMAPHIN 22

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
The Internet was abuzz all Thursday night as rumors spread at the speed of a keystroke that multiple teams were preparing to leave their current conferences and head to the SEC.

Two teams in particular, the Big 12's Texas A&M and the ACC's Florida State found themselves smack dab in the discussion – whether there was truth to the speculation or not.

A Texas A&M spokesman told University of Texas Rivals site Orangebloods.com on Thursday that there was "no agreement in principle" for the Aggies to leave the Big 12. This came a day after Texas governor Rick Perry, a former A&M yell leader, told the Dallas Morning News that "conversations had been had" about the Aggies taking off to SEC country.

An FSU school spokesman told the Sentinel via text message that to his knowledge, no statements on this matter were expected to come from athletics director Randy Spetman.
Thursday night's discussions primarily were happening on Twitter, where fans, bloggers, columnists and beat reporters participated in a he-said, she-said back-and-forth banter about the latest gossip they were expected to come from athletics director Randy Spetman.

Even North Carolina State and ACC men's basketball coach Mark Gottfried got in on the action, sending out this tweet: "Hearing that Texas A&M and FSU may join SEC. That would be interesting. All I know is that the ACC is still envy of all for hoops!"

Clemson, Virginia Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State were some of the other schools being mentioned.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/os-florida-state-sec-0812-20110812,0,2732897.story

Florida would block every attempt at FSU joining the SEC, so that's obviously never going to happen. Texas A&M could very well join though.

Florida would block every attempt at FSU joining the SEC, so that's obviously never going to happen. Texas A&M could very well join though.

Believe me...Florida doesn't have that kind of pull with the SEC higher ups.

Florida may oppose FSU joining the SEC, but we only need 9 members to approve.... Florida can't block FSU by themselves.

What's interesting is that we already offered FSU to join back in the early 90's when we took in Arkansas and South Carolina... Florida lobbied in favor of FSU joining...

Although that was before Florida was humming under Spurrier... Florida would probably oppose FSU now... they want to be the only school in the state that can offer kids SEC playing time.

Sure, just as FSU is starting to get good at FB again they could leave.

Florida may oppose FSU joining the SEC, but we only need 9 members to approve.... Florida can't block FSU by themselves.

What's interesting is that we already offered FSU to join back in the early 90's when we took in Arkansas and South Carolina... Florida lobbied in favor of FSU joining...

Although that was before Florida was humming under Spurrier... Florida would probably oppose FSU now... they want to be the only school in the state that can offer kids SEC playing time.

There has been a whisper campaign that says that Florida, Kentucky, Georgia, and South Carolina have a coalition together to keep out Louisville, Clemson, GT, UM, and FSU. None of them want their in-state rivals coming in.

There has been a whisper campaign that says that Florida, Kentucky, Georgia, and South Carolina have a coalition together to keep out Louisville, Clemson, GT, UM, and FSU. None of them want their in-state rivals coming in.
First I've heard of this... Gator message board?

FSU and Clemson are the only teams that make sense geographically and culturally and FSU would bring the most fans and talent to the conference of any of the schools mentioned.

I'm more than happy to remain the big fish in the small pond but I think that it would be in the SEC's best interest to add FSU to the East, especially since they already have a history with Florida, Tennessee, Georgia, LSU, and Alabama. A lot of interesting storylines there.

By the same token FSU can offer kids just as much exposure and an easier road to a national title. UF might actually prefer to have FSU playing a tougher schedule year in and year out on the recruiting front. As it stands, FSU is having no problem recruiting against UF from inside the ACC... I think that this aspect is being overblown. I don't think that FSU switching would significantly impact recruiting one way or another.

I think people are assuming that UF wouldn't want FSU in because they're bitter rivals but I just don't see the logic behind that. This move would make the gap between the SEC and other conferences even wider... and that would help all SEC schools in the long run. It could potentially give UF one more game to schedule per year since their annual matchup with FSU would be a division game now too (depending on how the details hash out.)

First I've heard of this... Gator message board?

FSU and Clemson are the only teams that make sense geographically and culturally and FSU would bring the most fans and talent to the conference of any of the schools mentioned.

I'm more than happy to remain the big fish in the small pond but I think that it would be in the SEC's best interest to add FSU to the East, especially since they already have a history with Florida, Tennessee, Georgia, LSU, and Alabama. A lot of interesting storylines there.

Big Fish in the small pond? Haven't won the ACC in years and you're the big fish? Dude, take your seminole homer glasses off.

Big Fish in the small pond? Haven't won the ACC in years and you're the big fish? Dude, take your seminole homer glasses off.

Relatively speaking, yes. FSU is a big fish in a small pond in the ACC... not sure why winning the conference is a prerequisite to this in your opinion.

Has nothing to do with Florida really. That's just "gangster talk" from them.

What you WILL see is this stuff begin to get serious. That's when the Big 10, Big 12, Big East, ACC, etc., will sue and file an injunction which would create a cluster**** of a mess and tie this thing up in court forcing the NCAA to step in.

I hope everyone understands how bad this is for Miami, the ACC, and just college football in general. They're going to add more teams, more in conference games, less out of conference games, and still play the same amount of games. These Super Conferences could ruin the allure of college football.

Has nothing to do with Florida really. That's just "gangster talk" from them.

What you WILL see is this stuff begin to get serious. That's when the Big 10, Big 12, Big East, ACC, etc., will sue and file an injunction which would create a cluster**** of a mess and tie this thing up in court forcing the NCAA to step in.

I hope everyone understands how bad this is for Miami, the ACC, and just college football in general. They're going to add more teams, more in conference games, less out of conference games, and still play the same amount of games. These Super Conferences could ruin the allure of college football.

Honestly, I expect several "Super Conferences" and the final result being a playoff system. I could see the ACC and Big East merging. Wouldn't do much in terms of football, but that would be amazing for basketball. I can definitely see some of these conferences suing though.

Relatively speaking, yes. FSU is a big fish in a small pond in the ACC... not sure why winning the conference is a prerequisite to this in your opinion.

To be the big fish, you have to be the best. And since you can't even win the conference, you're not the big fish. FSU fans are so delusional.

Back
Top Bottom