For the Matt Ryan haters/Beck lovers... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

For the Matt Ryan haters/Beck lovers...

The point is that none of the QB's on the board are "franchise QB's". And 22 teams passed on a "franchise QB" last year which sort of blows smoke over that argument.

How many of the 22 teams have an established no1 starter at the QB position?

Pass on Ryan,go with Beck.....It he fails REAL bad and we end up with another high
pick draft Matt Stafford from Ga. .....Problem solved.

never, people fall in love with the physical prototypes even if they really didn't have that good of a college career and ignore maybe the less prototypical QB who played much better.

Yep.

John Beck doesn't look like an NFL QB.

Matt Ryan DOES look like an NFL QB.

That obviously makes Ryan better. :rolleyes2:

Pass on Ryan,go with Beck.....It he fails REAL bad and we end up with another high
pick draft Matt Stafford from Ga. .....Problem solved.

we dont have the luxury of keep waiting every year. if we can get a prospect this year, why not. It does not have to be Ryan. We have one Qb on roster so why not draft another guy. Beck still will get his chance but at least we have a backup plan. Nobody is a sure thing.

we dont have the luxury of keep waiting every year. if we can get a prospect this year, why not. It does not have to be Ryan. We have one Qb on roster so why not draft another guy. Beck still will get his chance but at least we have a backup plan. Nobody is a sure thing.

Its not just "us" that dont have the luxury. Every coach, GM and Big Tuna knows that their success or failure depends on finding that franchise QB. There is absolutely zero chance that they decide to take a year off and see what they have in Beck. They will hedge their bets on Beck and draft a QB early. Right now Ryan, Brohm, Flacco and Henne are considerations but when you consider that the Falcons, Ravens and Bears may all grab a QB I dont think you can risk waiting until the 2nd round to get one. If you want a QB, the first round is the place. Add the fact that Ryan is a Bledsoe clone and he's our choice.

Boomer is owning this thread. :lol:

As for Matt Ryan, I don't get the hype. Why do so many fans fall in love with these media darlings with good size and big arms?

Just because a quarterback is big and throws the ball far doesn't mean he will be good. When will people figure that out?

Wow man, you've got smething on your nose. Sheesh!

I don't get all the John Beck hype. Some of the draft gurus on this site proclaim him the next Rich Gannon or Drew Brees and suddenly that's what he is???? "I don't care how he plays as a rookie, so and so said he'll be great and so he shall." Give me a break!

Its not just "us" that dont have the luxury. Every coach, GM and Big Tuna knows that their success or failure depends on finding that franchise QB. There is absolutely zero chance that they decide to take a year off and see what they have in Beck. They will hedge their bets on Beck and draft a QB early. Right now Ryan, Brohm, Flacco and Henne are considerations but when you consider that the Falcons, Ravens and Bears may all grab a QB I dont think you can risk waiting until the 2nd round to get one. If you want a QB, the first round is the place. Add the fact that Ryan is a Bledsoe clone and he's our choice.

Saying he is a clone of a statue who holds the ball too long and takes needless sacks is hardly gonna win many arguments. I've seen you defend him, and I know you like him, but dam that was bad. Maybe you wanna say a little less athletic Carson Palmer, or maybe a poor man's Favre in arm strength and being a gunslinger. Comparing him to Bledsoe is gonna hurt more than it helps, every time.

The point is that none of the QB's on the board are "franchise QB's". And 22 teams passed on a "franchise QB" last year which sort of blows smoke over that argument.

So what makes all the other draftniks who say Ryan IS a franchise QB wrong??? You don't think they watch tape too??? Are they all just fools and have no idea how to evaluate talant???

Also, where did you have Quinn rated last year??? Who did you want to pick him??? Hmmmmm?????

Saying he is a clone of a statue who holds the ball too long and takes needless sacks is hardly gonna win many arguments. I've seen you defend him, and I know you like him, but dam that was bad. Maybe you wanna say a little less athletic Carson Palmer, or maybe a poor man's Favre in arm strength and being a gunslinger. Comparing him to Bledsoe is gonna hurt more than it helps, every time.

:lol: I'm not comparing him to a 35 year old Bledsoe but I get your point. I was comparing their size. All things being equal Parcells will always go with size. Ryan has better mobility than Bledsoe so I dont think it will be a problem. Ryan wont be sent on any bootlegs though :lol:. That is one area I can confidently say Beck is better

I don't think the issue is quite that simple. Ratings for Quinn (last year) and Ryan range from top-10 "franchise" QB, to mid-late 1st round pick. Beck pretty much graded as a 2nd (to 3rd) round pick (and would again if he was coming out this year, IMO).

It really depends where people stand on these players. If people think Ryan/Quinn are really late 1st rounders (i.e. not a sure-fire franchise QB), then they would believe Ryan/Quinn would be only a minimal upgrade over Beck (and thus not worth considering).

However, there are plenty of people (fans, scouts, GM's) that feel that Ryan (like Quinn last year) IS a franchise QB. In that case, it would make sense to draft him, regardless of Beck. For example, if Parcells/Ireland are CONVINCED that Ryan is a franchise QB, I'm not sure I would want them to pass him up, just because we have Beck.

Absolutely, Beck's 4 games (or 3 5/8's games:)) are not enough to know what he will become (it would be better if he had not looked quite so bad, though).

Personally, I don't want to take Ryan. Beck has a nice arm, and I'd like to think we can develop him. I'd rather address other areas in the draft. I can understand the feeling, though, that we should take Ryan.

So what makes all the other draftniks who say Ryan IS a franchise QB wrong??? You don't think they watch tape too??? Are they all just fools and have no idea how to evaluate talant???

Also, where did you have Quinn rated last year??? Who did you want to pick him??? Hmmmmm?????

I suppose if Mel, McShay, etc say Ryan's a franchise QB in February then we should just accept that as fact? Weren't these the same guys that were projecting Rodgers to #1 at this time in 2005 and then when draft day rolls around suddenly he's so "mechanical" that they agree he's a late first rounder? That's quite a swing in position on a guy, sounding more reactionary than insightful. They know their stuff for sure, but experts are wrong from time to time.

The purpose of a forum like this is to provide opinions that may not necessarily go with the majority. If we all agree to agree with whatever shows up in the ESPN mock, then why is a draft forum even needed? May as well just provide a link to the experts' opinions and stop at that since any opinion to the contrary is obviously wrong.

I've seen Ryan play several times this year and was unimpressed to say the least. He's got a lot to learn about reading defenses, he throws AJ Feeley like game killing INTs, he often throws off his back foot lobbing passes that will get picked off, his accuracy comes and goes and he's only had one productive college season. His reactions to his mistakes leave a lot to be desired too IMO. I don't see that goofy laugh/grin when Brady, Manning, Marino, etc throw picks. I'm not sure how that adds up to #1 pick in the draft, but it's a major reach in this layman's opinion. If we're going to take a QB on day 1, I'd rather take a relative sure thing like C. Long and take a shot on a QB in the 2nd round than spend 40+ million on a QB that I'm not convinced is clearly better than the 27 year old we already have or the other prospects available in Round 2.

The only way I can see us not drafting Matt Ryan is if we fail to get a LB in free agency. If we land a good OLB in free agency I think its guaranteed we get Ryan barring a trade down which is our first option. Chris Long can play DE in a 3-4 but he'll never rise above being good. He simply doesnt have the initial quick burst needed to be a great 3-4 DE. And you dont pay a good DE 65 million. Bottom line once free agency plays out we'll see what's left over for us to fill. The one thing guaranteed is that we wont get a very good QB and the only way to fill that is either draft one or hope to god Beck develops. I dont think Parcells leaves things to chance and with Ryan being almost a mirror image of a young Bledsoe I dont see him passing him up

The only way I see us drafting Ryan (whose college career certainly isn't a mirror image of Bledsoe's) is if Bill is convinced that Ryan is clearly better than Beck, Brohm, Henne, etc and he isn't convinced that he can build his defense around Long or Dorsey. I don't see that happening, primarily because I wouldn't grade Ryan that high, but it's certainly possible.

As for Chris Long never rising above good if he plays 3-4 DE, good luck with that projection. I'm sure similar things were said about his dad and all he did was make the Hall of Fame and be named as one of the DE's in PFW's all-time 3-4 defense. Personally, I think Long's floor is "good", he'll play several positions instead of being limited to one and he's going to be a defensive corner stone like a Jason Taylor/Zach Thomas.

I'm not a professional scout, and I don't pretend to be one. When I watched Beck play, I saw all of the raw tools to be an NFL QB. I saw the tools to play the position, but I didn't really see more than one or two throws in all of the games that made me say, "Whoa, that's a starting QB throw there."

Beck may just turn out to be a solid player in this league, but he sure isn't right now, and I think we need to draft a guy, and sign a FA to be the starter this year.

Personally, I'd like John Beck a lot more if he wasn't going to be 28 before opening day next year. He's older than Eli Manning...

The only way I see us drafting Ryan (whose college career certainly isn't a mirror image of Bledsoe's) is if Bill is convinced that Ryan is clearly better than Beck, Brohm, Henne, etc and he isn't convinced that he can build his defense around Long or Dorsey. I don't see that happening, primarily because I wouldn't grade Ryan that high, but it's certainly possible.

As for Chris Long never rising above good if he plays 3-4 DE, good luck with that projection. I'm sure similar things were said about his dad and all he did was make the Hall of Fame and be named as one of the DE's in PFW's all-time 3-4 defense. Personally, I think Long's floor is "good", he'll play several positions instead of being limited to one and he's going to be a defensive corner stone like a Jason Taylor/Zach Thomas.

You say Chris Long. But at what position? Are you saying we're going to spend an overall #1 on a 3-4 DE or a 3-4 OLB? We already have 12 million tied up in Linebacker and that's after we cut Zach. And there's no way we spend 8 OR 9 million a year in cap space on a rookie 3-4 DE. We could get Justin Smith for far less

is if Bill is convinced that Ryan is clearly better than Henne, etc and he isn't convinced that he can build his defense around Long or Dorsey.

Lord I hope we stay far, far away from Chad Henne. Again, not a professional scout, but from what I watched of Chad Henne, he makes terrible decisions with the ball, throws from a funky angle that makes his accuracy hot and cold, and he does not "lead" very well.

Just say "NO" to Chad Henne.

Personally, I'd go for the DL with the first pick, try to trade down #32, and then get a QB later on in the draft. You can re-build the lines quickly with the talent in this draft, and find a QB later on and in FA.

Being a huge Canes fan, I watched a lot of other ACC games, and "Matty Ice" might be a sweet sounding nickname, but it would probably be more accurate if his nickname were "Matty brings us back because he had a terrible game all game long to put us in the position we needed to come back from in the first place Ryan."

Back
Top Bottom