Fox Sports Net's Top 10 QBs of the '80s | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Fox Sports Net's Top 10 QBs of the '80s

Man why is the only reason any one can give that Montana should be on top is because of a TEAM sat in SB wins? I thought it took a whole team to win a SB an not one person? How come QB is the only position that is rated by SB's? Barry Sanders is considered one of the top 3 if not the best RB ever and he never won a SB why isn't that important to RB, but is for QB?

Kelly is a tough guy to fit on an 80's or 90's list. His period of excellence (and make no mistake, he WAS excellent; even the most fire-breathing, Bills-hating Phin fan should be able to see that) was from 1986-1995, with blips in 1988 and 1993. http://pro-football-reference.com/players/KellJi00.htm

That means he was really, really good for 4 years in both decades. Further complicating matters is that his four best years were 1987, and 1989-1991. Given the 4 AFC Championships in the 90's, I suppose he belongs more properly on the 90's list, but his career fell off pretty rapidly after that. He was still good in 1995, but by 1996, he was practically a liability, and retired after that.

I'll say this, though: if I needed to win a game anytime between 1985 and 1989, I'd take Kelly over Bernie Kosar any day of the week, and twice on Sunday. Probably Esiason too, though his impressive stats (http://pro-football-reference.com/players/EsiaBo00.htm) mean he almost has to be on the list of best 80's QBs.

This is a reason that I hate these "best of the (decade)" type lists; it's pretty arbitrary to draw a line based on the fact that a year ends in zero. Would anyone in their right mind argue that Esiason was a better QB than Kelly?

phunwin said:
Kelly is a tough guy to fit on an 80's or 90's list. His period of excellence (and make no mistake, he WAS excellent; even the most fire-breathing, Bills-hating Phin fan should be able to see that) was from 1986-1995, with blips in 1988 and 1993. http://pro-football-reference.com/players/KellJi00.htm

That means he was really, really good for 4 years in both decades. Further complicating matters is that his four best years were 1987, and 1989-1991. Given the 4 AFC Championships in the 90's, I suppose he belongs more properly on the 90's list, but his career fell off pretty rapidly after that. He was still good in 1995, but by 1996, he was practically a liability, and retired after that.

I'll say this, though: if I needed to win a game anytime between 1985 and 1989, I'd take Kelly over Bernie Kosar any day of the week, and twice on Sunday. Probably Esiason too, though his impressive stats (http://pro-football-reference.com/players/EsiaBo00.htm) mean he almost has to be on the list of best 80's QBs.

This is a reason that I hate these "best of the (decade)" type lists; it's pretty arbitrary to draw a line based on the fact that a year ends in zero. Would anyone in their right mind argue that Esiason was a better QB than Kelly?

I think both were great QB's! Kelly vs Marino would always be worth watching because you know no matter the score both players could bring there team back in a blink of an eye! As much as I would like to see Kelly lose, just because of being in the division, he was a lot of fun to watch! All great players are!

Theismann, incidentally, is a terrible choice. He had the good fortune to play with one of the best receiving groups and offensive lines in history and has been mythologized on the basis of a famous career-ending injury and a mediocre broadcasting career. What's more, Joe Gibbs won Super Bowls with Mark Rypien and Doug Williams, for crying out loud, which tells you all you need to know about Theismann's Super Bowl ring. What's more, he only had 3 good years in the 80's. http://pro-football-reference.com/players/TheiJo00.htm

God, Fox is dumb.

shalafi3455 said:
I think both were great QB's! Kelly vs Marino would always be worth watching because you know no matter the score both players could bring there team back in a blink of an eye! As much as I would like to see Kelly lose, just because of being in the division, he was a lot of fun to watch! All great players are!

Exactly. I feel the same about Jim Kelly that I do about Eric Clapton: I don't care much for his work, but I respect him immensely for it. (Whoa, I just had a Peter Gammons moment: mixing music and sports. Cool!)

phunwin said:
Exactly. I feel the same about Jim Kelly that I do about Eric Clapton: I don't care much for his work, but I respect him immensely for it. (Whoa, I just had a Peter Gammons moment: mixing music and sports. Cool!)

:roflmao: Nice you got to love Peter Gammons! :roflmao:

Esiason was a better at play action than Kelly. But heck, Boomer was one of the best in NFL history in that regard (Steve DeBerg, I still love ya). Other than that, you gotta take Kelly in every department. He was a great QB worthy of the Hall of Fame.

squirtgun kelly couldn't carry marino's jock in the 80's or 90's

:laughat:
Phin-o-rama said:
squirtgun kelly couldn't carry marino's jock in the 80's or 90's
Are you kidding me? Kelly owned Marino... Marino was overall the better QB, but Kelly owns the head to head vs. Danny.

shalafi3455 said:
Man why is the only reason any one can give that Montana should be on top is because of a TEAM sat in SB wins? I thought it took a whole team to win a SB an not one person? How come QB is the only position that is rated by SB's? Barry Sanders is considered one of the top 3 if not the best RB ever and he never won a SB why isn't that important to RB, but is for QB?
Because in the process of winning those 4 Super Bowls, he won 3 SB MVP's. He was at his best in the big game.

SpitOnSurtain80 said:
Because in the process of winning those 4 Super Bowls, he won 3 SB MVP's. He was at his best in the big game.

Yea I understand that, but does those three game offset all the individual stats Marino put in his career for that position? Because in that case you would have to say Brady is better also, because he has 2 SB MVP's, do you agree with that?

SpitOnSurtain80 said:

Exactly, he was a clutch player. Not to mention he was the first to successfully run the West Coast Offense. He was one of the best leaders the game has ever seen. Put another way, he is one of the few players that deserve a 100 (yes, I know it only goes to 99) in awareness on Madden :goof: .

shalafi3455 said:
Because in that case you would have to say Brady is better also, because he has 2 SB MVP's, do you agree with that?
I'll let you know in about 10 years. :D

I did read Elway's stats today, and he really wasnt that far behind Marino.

Muck said:
1. Joe Montana
2. Dan Marino
3. John Elway
4. Dan Fouts
5. Warren Moon
6. Joe Theismann
7. Boomer Esiason
8. Phil Simms
9. Randall Cunningham
10. Bernie Kosar

Ok, everybody bash the list. lol
Marino was the best QB of the eighties, its not his fault he had poor defenses and little if any running game, place him on the niners teams of the eighties and Marino wins more rings than you can count, place Montana on the Dolphins teams of the eighties and Montana doesn't make the Hall of Fame.

SpitOnSurtain80 said:
I'll let you know in about 10 years. :D

I did read Elway's stats today, and he really wasnt that far behind Marino.
You call 120 Touchdowns behind close? Lets see, Elway averaged about 20 per year I think.....at that pace he would only have needed 6 more years.

Back
Top Bottom