Free Agency, target undervalued not Mike Wallace! | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Free Agency, target undervalued not Mike Wallace!

The build through the draft approach works great for the football side of the franchise for an established team, however there is also the business side to consider. Jeff understands that seats need to be filled on Sundays, and a 7 - 9 team + mediocre players = no fan interest. The fins have the money, and are going to use to buy some buzz going into next year. If the team can keep building on the solid foundation Joe built last year, and become a playoff contender year after year, the fans will fill Sun Life, and then you go into build through the draft mode.

Granted we need a WR, but I do not like any that are currently available. Both Mike Wallace & Greg Jennings have issues for different reasons, of which I would not pay top dollar for.

What are Wallace's issues? From my understanding it was financial. So he held out and that led to his fall out in Pittsburgh. Other than that, I don't know anything. If he gets paid, comes here, exactly what are you afraid of? Mike Wallace is an elite deep threat. We have Hartline who has proven to have good chemistry with Tannehill. I'd still like to draft a WR but getting Wallace would allow us to address CB or pass rush. We need to stop settling for bargain players and go for the gusto with Wallace. ESPECIALLY when we're trying to set up Tannehill for success.

When Philbin took over, there was a view that he & Ireland would follow the Green Bay/Ted Thompson era of building through the draft and not overpaying for Free Agents. I agree with this principle and I would only target undervalued players through Free Agency. The ones I like I have listed below:-

Andy Levitre OG. Never misses a game, can play any of the three inside spots and is only 26. IMO he is one of the most underrated OG in the game coming into his prime.

Michael Bennett DE. 2012 Bennett had 9 sacks and was 3rd amongst 4-3 DE with QB hurries.

Darius Butler CB. I liked him coming out of college and as the season went on in Indi he got better and better. By the season end he limited his opponents to a QBR of 39.5.

Greg Toler CB. According to PFF, Toler was a top 15 corner in coverage last year.

Adam Jones CB. Nearly made PFF pro bowl roster last year. He is underrated due to his past issues. Also great on ST & Coyle is familiar with him.

Re-sign Anthony Fasano & Chris Clemons. IMO both are not only underrated around the NFL, but also with most of their own fanbase.

Granted we need a WR, but I do not like any that are currently available. Both Mike Wallace & Greg Jennings have issues for different reasons, of which I would not pay top dollar for.

I would target my WR in this years draft. At #12 one of Cordarrelle Patterson or Keenan Allen will be available. If I could get the above FA, I would take Keenan Allen. He is ideal for our system. Also the scouting reports I have read compare him to Anquan Bolden or Jordy Nelson. If we can get someone who produces like either of these two it would be a great pick.

Money post man. I completely agree with you. (Not big on PacMan, but if he came relatively cheap, I wouldn't cry over it)

Building through the draft is a good approach and I think Philbin started off well last year with the exception of egnew. I don't think that approach will change much this year but there are problems with that approach for Miami. 1. They have a ton of cap space that MUST be used. Why not use it on playmakers. 2. Ireland's future with the team does not really allow him to sign those undervalued players, and 3. Ross is DESPERATE to get fans in the seats and upgrade the stadium. I actually like this approach. Spend k oney on positions of need and utilize the draft to build around those players.

You ONLY overpay for guys at that high contract level when you are 1-2 players away from making that Super Bowl run. Otherwise, you are just wasting your salary cap and allowing yourself to be less flexible in the future when you truly are only 1-2 players away but can't afford to make that Free Agency run. Just look at Arizona. That Fitzgerald contract is an abomination.

Ireland, whatever you do...don't cut Bess! I am honestly disgusted that some of you have even proposed the idea that we would consider trading Him. I personally would love to see him retire in a Dolphins uniform.. His best years are still ahead of him.

We went for "undervalued" players last year and ended up with Richard Marshall, Naanee, Jamal Westerman, and Artis Hicks. How did that work out?

With the contract Marshall go, you would think he was overvalued. Guy was dreadful, hopefully he's cut very soon.

Good thoughts on Free Agency. I think Bennett would be the perfect complement to go along with Wake. Also agree that Levitre would be a great addition to the OL and his versatility would be beneficial during the course of a full season. I am probably in the minority on this one, but I think Pacman would be worth taking a close look at.

Good thoughts on Free Agency. I think Bennett would be the perfect complement to go along with Wake. Also agree that Levitre would be a great addition to the OL and his versatility would be beneficial during the course of a full season. I am probably in the minority on this one, but I think Pacman would be worth taking a close look at.

I agree. He is very good in slot and on ST. Also Coyle has worked with him previously

Back
Top Bottom