Fullback | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Fullback

Full back is virtually obselete. H-back is what linehan usually uses since its like having another TE on the field. Kleinsasser was great in that role for Minny for a long time.

he is decent but lets not kid ourselves he isnt great

He is good enough but he isnt a top 5 or 10 FB

Personally, I have been very impressed with Barnes as a purely blocking fullback. He hasn't played much, but I've seen him make a couple impressive blocks.

17-0 said:
He may not be able to catch or run the ball as good as R&R, but he loves to hit people, and the guy that he is supposed to block usually doesn't get a hand on R or R.

he's done very well, imo. hes got an attitude that can rub off on those around him and never stops blocking his guy

I see barnes on the field all the time... I think he is pretty good and if im not mistaken i believe the dude is really young. Also i heard really good things about hte fb we had that had to go in serve in the milatary for a year (cant remember his name). So i dont think we will be looking for upgrade as right now we already have 2-3 more than serviceable guys.

i remember seeing eckel play at anvy he was a monster i mean people were afraid to tackle let alone get blocked by this guy he would be a great fullback if he gets big which i bet he would with nfl workouts

Barnes is a fine FB right now, he's solid and blows open holes. Morris is a decent runner and can catch the ball, although with the hands that Ricky and Ronnie have i dont think our FB will get many looks out of the backfield.

barnes is not the type of fb we need. we need someone who can recieve rush and block. this would help our passing and running game because at the moment it is pretty obvious when we are running cos barnes is in there

aboome said:
i remember seeing eckel play at anvy he was a monster i mean people were afraid to tackle let alone get blocked by this guy he would be a great fullback if he gets big which i bet he would with nfl workouts

Eckel is on our Reserve/Military list. I believe he has a palce on this team once he gets back.

Now, about Linehan, he has been known to use H-Backs, right? And Lorenzo Diamond has been used in that role. Plus Ben Moa could be resigned. He was great in the H-Back role in Europe.

Yeah but San Francisco has Fred Beasley and Minnesota has Jim Kleinsasser (who may have moved to TE) and Detroit has a fairly decent Corey Schlesinger....and they hardly have very prolific running attacks. I'm fine with Sammy Morris or if we move Ricky to a full time FB which i dont know if it can be done.

ffphin said:
I didn't even think about a FB!!! But if we do the R&R is pretty much over... You won't see them on the field that often if we do get a FB!!!

I don't think that is true at all.

Think about it. New englands Offense rarely uses the Fullback as a "weapon", but when it does it's always as a mis-direction, or when you would never expect it.

Think about a formation with Chambers and Booker split wide, Ronnie in the slot, Ricky at rb and an excellent blocking power fullback with hopefully slightly above average hands.

You could send chambers or Brown in motion for a reverse or fake reverse to either side.

Put ronnie in motion and snap as he approaches the tackle for him to be a "power type" lead blocker with the fullback and Ricky following his lead block into the hole.

Motion Ricky to a TE position and Ronnie behind the FB.

You could fake the run using ronnie in motion as in option #2 above, but have ronnie go in for the lead block fake the handoff to Ricky, and set up a FB screen underneath to the side of the field the Ronnie came in motion from since the safety or Lb covering him likely went into the "hole" he was suppose to be opening up for Ricky.

The speed and hands of Ricky, Chambers, booker, and Ronnie make a defense have to defend the entire field on every play, making every play just a little better. Then you factor in a rotation of Mcmike and Diamond and my god the weapons we have (except the QB) rivals any NFL team, even the colts.

Bottom line is a Good power fullback that could catch 2 passes his way per game and make something out of them would more than justify his roster spot and up to about $750,000 in cap space it would cost to give us a power running game to end games with the lead, and a nice sence of deception needed to outsmart fast overpursuing defenses. Plus would not undermind our ability to out finess patient bend but don't break defenses. The more versatility in this league the better. So I do think you will see us sign a veteran Fullback this season, but who I have no idea.

We're not going to use a traditional fullback. We are currently using Darian Barnes as a fullback, but he's not the future. Scott Linehan wants an H-Back. A big blocker type who will line up at both tight end and fullback. Jim Kleinsasser is who Scott Linehan used in the past, and felt he was importatant enough to have him franchised.

We picked up Lorenzo Diamond, and used him occasionally as a lead blocker, but he has been relegated pretty much exclusively to TE at this point.

We picked up Heath Evans, but he couldnt lead block worth a damn.

Sammy Morris is technically a fullback, but he is not someone you want lined up at Tight End, and he is not a very good blocker. He's more of a recieving/running fullback and special teams player.

Darian Barnes has been a solid fullback, but it seems like he has been less productive after beating the snot out of Keith Brooking in the Atlanta game. Not to mention he hasnt been used at all lined up at TE.

The one player we have used as an all-around H-Back, Alex Holmes, has not really done a great job. He fits the mold perfectly, and the team has given him plenty of shots to be on the field, but he hasnt done much.

I think the Dolphins may look at getting an H-Back this offseason. Two guys spring to mind.

In Free Agency, there is Brandon Manumaleuna. A 6'2" 288 pound blocking tight end. He's young, and he's short and big enough to play both TE and fullback.

In the draft, there is Matt Bernstein, who looks like he might be a Jim Kleinsasser clone.

SabanEra84 said:
The two best Running backs in the NFL (Tomlinson, Alexander) have great fullbacks leading the way, does anyone think Miami will be in the market for a powerful FB, either through draft of FA. If so, who is available and who would you take?:dolphins:

We had a guy named Jamar MArtin who was a very good blocker and played simislar to L.Neal etc. But he was cut because he couldnt catch.

ffphin said:
I've had to listen to most of the games and never heard the annocers say anything about him.... Well now I know who our FB is!! THX
That shows us just again how bad the phins play-by-play crew is. Talking about blocking on a play is to much inside information for them.
But I still think they have improved over the last games, so let's hope it continues.

Back
Top Bottom