gase gaining power over tannenbaum? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

gase gaining power over tannenbaum?

with the guys we have let go, and the guys we are getting..... I have to say either the FO is actually listening to gase, or gase is getting more control

I find it absolutely incredible that so many of you can't see that the plan implemented the other day was Tannenbaum's plan. He is Mr Ross's top man in charge of football operations. It is his job to implement a plan to turn things around. Grier and Gase were involved in the execution but this reeks of Tannenbaum changing direction. For those on here who like what we've done, it is quite amusing that some are incapable of acknowledging the possibility that Tannenbaum did really well and deserves some credit.
This whole post about Gase gaining more power and Tannenbaum being squeezed out is a quaint interpretation and probably wrong. Do you seriously think that Gase made all the decisions without getting Tannenbaum and Grier fully on board? They even had Pouncey's replacement, Dan Kilgore, lined up in a trade with the 49ers in advance. Do you really think Gase came up with that?

Last edited:
I suspect Tbum is giving Gase enough rope to hang himself with. If it works out, great. If it doesn't, everything is Gase's fault. If there's one thing Tbum's good at it's saving his own job.

I suspect Tbum is giving Gase enough rope to hang himself with. If it works out, great. If it doesn't, everything is Gase's fault. If there's one thing Tbum's good at it's saving his own job.

REALLY???? So Tbaum is evil for letting Gase pick his own players? What do other GMs do?

Its not really about who does what IMO, it's more about who has final say... Right now Tbaum still has it, but another 10-6 or better season out of Gase and that might shift...

REALLY???? So Tbaum is evil for letting Gase pick his own players? What do other GMs do?

Most GMs are responsible for picking talent to improve the team and signing them to reasonable deals. That's kind of their jobs.

I already don't really trust Gase's talent evaluation abilities after Cutlet and JThomas got run out there all last year, but between Gase and Tbum the lesser of two evils is still probably Gase. So from that viewpoint, sure, there's nothing wrong with Tbum letting Gase pick his own guys. My concern is who takes the blame if it fails? Do you really want Tbum to go to Ross and say "Hey, I didn't get a fair shake, I got all the guys Gase wanted and it's not my fault Gase couldn't do anything with them" and then get a mulligan to start all over with a new head coach? Because that is the worst case scenario for this team's future.

From all accounts they both work well together, but Gase definitely has his fingerprints all over this team. Read somewhere that Tbaum worked hard over the last couple of weeks with all the FA moves and the jettisoning of some of these inflated contracts, (a problem he created) he was even praised by one writer for the way he handled the Landry situation by getting something in return. I don't believe there is any sort of power struggle or Gase has more influence per se, I think that both guys are working hard to clean up a mess and point the team in the right direction, if these moves bear fruit both men should be commended.

giphy.gif

"...the clocks tickin' I just count the hours"

Lol excellent use of a meme, sir.

Its not really about who does what IMO, it's more about who has final say... Right now Tbaum still has it, but another 10-6 or better season out of Gase and that might shift...

Why would they change things if what they are doing is working?

I find it absolutely incredible that so many of you can't see that the plan implemented the other day was Tannenbaum's plan. He is Mr Ross's top man in charge of football operations. It is his job to implement a plan to turn things around. Grier and Gase were involved in the execution but this reeks of Tannenbaum changing direction. For those on here who like what we've done, it is quite amusing that some are incapable of acknowledging the possibility that Tannenbaum did really well and deserves some credit.
This whole post about Gase gaining more power and Tannenbaum being squeezed out is a quaint interpretation and probably wrong. Do you seriously think that Gase made all the decisions without getting Tannenbaum and Grier fully on board? They even had Pouncey's replacement, Dan Kilgore, lined up in a trade with the 49ers in advance. Do you really think Gase came up with that?

I think It's collaborative. I'm sorry to be one of those people that are frustrating, but I just don't see it as being just Tannenbaum's plan. When asked they have said it a million times. Gase focuses on coaching, Tannenbaum and Grier focus on personnel that fit THEIR overall plan. When they get ready to pull the trigger, they get together for a final discussion. If Gase has control of the 53, why would Tannenbaum sign anyone without Gase being on board (unless he said already that he doesn't care who it is). I don't always understand why we do things, but I will say that Tannenbaum and Grier have done a good job of giving Gase all that he asks for to the best of their ability. IMO, It's not about control. It's about support and everyone working together to put the best team out there that we can under the CBA.

Last edited:
Why would they change things if what they are doing is working?
Im not saying they will... But people argue all the time and so will they on occasion, the more Gase wins the less Tbaum will have the ability to say NO because a winning coach has more leverage than a Tbaum type in the NFL right now... *IMO* I realize I am not backing this up with any evidence whatsoever so treat this statement as such... It's only my opinion and is certainly debeatable...

Most GMs are responsible for picking talent to improve the team and signing them to reasonable deals. That's kind of their jobs.

I already don't really trust Gase's talent evaluation abilities after Cutlet and JThomas got run out there all last year, but between Gase and Tbum the lesser of two evils is still probably Gase. So from that viewpoint, sure, there's nothing wrong with Tbum letting Gase pick his own guys. My concern is who takes the blame if it fails? Do you really want Tbum to go to Ross and say "Hey, I didn't get a fair shake, I got all the guys Gase wanted and it's not my fault Gase couldn't do anything with them" and then get a mulligan to start all over with a new head coach? Because that is the worst case scenario for this team's future.

We disagree. GMs don't pick talent. They provide input. Coaches have the most input.

I think there is a lot of pride in the FO. I mess with Tannenbaum as much as anybody but from the owner down this franchise was embarrassed by the performances on the field last season. We stunk, we were a joke and when we weren't committing penalties we were trotting out guys that should be retired and then Jarvis ended things by flipping out. It was a black damn failure from stem to stern if I'm the owner I give these guys a dressing down that would make Vince Lombardi sound calm!!!! I would look at them and say, get the fword thing right or your all gone, am I clear???

I think these guys rallied together and developed a plan to fix things. Get rid of bloated players and get rid of bloated contracts. Boom!!! We've seen it in action. The moves were swift, decisive and performed very much like a smart, first class organization. I welcome this change, I resisted but I can see the plan and I'm a fan, I like it. Now let's kill the draft.

Back
Top Bottom