Gase told us....this was all coming. | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Gase told us....this was all coming.

My question 3yr year always the show it year for coaches. So another disappointing year does he get fired???

Or does not having your QB last year buy him another year??
It really depends on the season. I doubt he would survive a 0-16, 1-15, 2-14 season. But he probably will survive 6-10 season for the reasons you mentioned.

Right now it looks like a two offseason project. I am not that attached to Suh, Landry and JTrain like some others. They were flawed in their own ways:
Landry was dumb as a doorknob
JTrain was selfish and a locker room cancer
Suh was only in it for the money (his own words) and could care less about the team.
Pouncy was not a leader and you had to handle him with care otherwise he would have been injured again.

The purge was expected and so far (with the current pick ups) made us a slightly better team.

But like I said it is a 2 offseason project.

My question 3yr year always the show it year for coaches. So another disappointing year does he get fired???

He has to convince management that he is getting the best from his players. If he does, he has as long as it takes.

Reading those quotes gase blamed everyone but himself. That's why I laugh when they say they're bringing FAs in to change the culture. Winning creates culture. Culture starts at the top and when the leader of the team doesn't take responsibility for his team's poor play you've identified the problem.

Did the Jags bring in the right FAs last year or was it Marrone and Coughlin that changed their culture?

I hope it works out because I'm tired of seeing this team play well one week and get beat 40-0 the next. That said, this is Gase's team now. Sink or swim time. If it sinks he should be in the unemployment line next year right next to tannenbaum and grier.

Its a combination of both. Some guys have more attention to detail than others (players and coaches). Some players think they can just wing it, because they have physical talent.
There is no one formula for winning, except for like mindedness between the coach and his players in that they all share an attention to detail.
Shula wrote a book in the 1970s, tittle ‘The Winning Edge’.
It’s the little details that often determine the outcome of games.

I think the deal with Pouncey is that he can play but is high priced and has had a serious history of injuries. Consider this, Last year Pouncey still needed to use a cane after his surgery, almost up to training camp. In order to assure his availability, Gase severely limited his on field practice time. This certainly had a negative effect on the offensive lines cohesion, but as I recall he had some reasonable stats.

This year he is available again. Certainly age is creeping up on him, but with the off season to finish recovering from last season and the previous years surgery he should be in much better physical shape. There is no reason not to expect him to play better and be practicing full time with the offensive line.

I think we have more important offensive line improvements then center, such as guard and depth across the offensive line; especially at center.
I agree with all of that.

Additionally, we have a new OL coach who knew and recruited Josh Sitton. Everyone involved would rather have Sitton at guard than Pouncey at center, and since Pouncey wasn't reliable and had such a high salary, they asked him to take a pay cut, when he wouldn't ... it was a choice between signing Sitton and letting Pouncey go, or keeping Pouncey and not being able to afford Sitton. Personally, I think we made the right choice bringing in Josh Sitton. He is more reliable, more physical, and simply a better blocker.

The problem with making a big salary is that you need to play better or they get rid of you. So, Pouncey played great as a pulling center, but poor at the point of attack, and his overall grade was poor. He wasn't very available over the last 3 years, and IMHO, like you said, that is a big deal. Bill Parcells was famous for saying that "the most important ability is availability."

I think Gase has 2 more years, the 2018 season and the 2019 season. He proved he could win with Tannehill. The wheels fell off without him though. So, the 2018 season will be where people try to determine which season was the aberration and which was the norm. Was the good we saw in 2016 the real Gase team starting to turn the corner? Or was the 2016 team just a positive blip on a mediocre chart?

To Ross' credit, he doesn't give up on coaches too soon. The good franchises, like Pittsburgh, Green Bay, New York (Giants), all give their coaches a chance to establish their teams and succeed. I think Ross will do that as well. So far he seems to have given coaches chances. I expect 4 years for Gase, because everyone 'in the know' in the NFL thought he was a great young coaching prodigy.

I think it's hilarious that we're talking about Gase losing his job!!! I mean his first year they won 10 games and his 2nd year he lost the teams starting QB in the preseason so OF COURSE they had a bad year..... WTF.... I really read WAY too many posts on here and some of these people's incesent negativity and ignorance is overwhelming. I'm not isolating one post or another just a general statement.

On a side note i often wonder what the percentage of members are liberal dems. I'm guessing quit a few....

I think Gase has 2 more years, the 2018 season and the 2019 season. He proved he could win with Tannehill. The wheels fell off without him though. So, the 2018 season will be where people try to determine which season was the aberration and which was the norm. Was the good we saw in 2016 the real Gase team starting to turn the corner? Or was the 2016 team just a positive blip on a mediocre chart?

To Ross' credit, he doesn't give up on coaches too soon. The good franchises, like Pittsburgh, Green Bay, New York (Giants), all give their coaches a chance to establish their teams and succeed. I think Ross will do that as well. So far he seems to have given coaches chances. I expect 4 years for Gase, because everyone 'in the know' in the NFL thought he was a great young coaching prodigy.

To be fair, Tannehill was nothing without Ajayi....and Moore won with Ajayi as well. And Gase buried Ajayi for a while in 2016 then couldn't make him work with a bad QB in 2017. I still don't know how it works without him.

To be fair, Tannehill was nothing without Ajayi....and Moore won with Ajayi as well. And Gase buried Ajayi for a while in 2016 then couldn't make him work with a bad QB in 2017. I still don't know how it works without him.
Oh I agree, Ajayi was our secret sauce. Statistics don't accurately record the effect of wearing a speed-based defense down so that you can grind out a win or rumble to important 4th quarter scores.

Typically, when a team is behind in the 4th quarter they pass more, and often score at a higher clip than running the ball, so the stats are skewed towards passing offenses in the 4th quarter. But, when down by 10 in the 4th quarter, if you keep grinding away at a team, and your defense stays fresh, that can be the difference maker that never shows up in your offensive stats. Plus, the rest your defense gets is never attributed in stats to the effects of a power running game that reliably keeps your defense off the field and fresh. Not to mention the number it does on keeping the opposing offenses cold and out of rhythm.

I've often pointed out that just barely winning in the 4th quarter with Ajayi pounding the ball all game, is rarely a coincidence. That was a prime reason why I was so strongly in favor of getting some OL that can run block, particularly guards to open up those run lanes and let Ajayi pound on LB's and DB's all game. They'll be exhausted in the 4th quarter and even the passing game works better.

But, Tannehill produced fantastically after the initial 5 games it took for him and the team to learn the system. So, I'm very hopeful for our offense this year.

But, Tannehill produced fantastically after the initial 5 games it took for him and the team to learn the system. So, I'm very hopeful for our offense this year.

Tannehill did play well. I was a detractor of his but the clutch factor and playmaking factor he had been missing all his career was finally there. Still, the running game was such a huge factor. With a QB's best friend in the running game that gets stronger throughout the game, Tannehill did well only being asked to execute a couple high level throws a game.

i Think he was best at pulling, outside of that he got hammered by good NT and we had a lot of good ones in the East. After his surgery, the experiment at Guard I felt he never came back. Last year was OK but the line as a whole was just atrocious and I have to think if he were as good as advertised he could have worked with the Gaurds we brought in a bit better. He was the QB of the line and there was way too much confusion on the interior for years. Maybe I’m wrong but Kilgore has a strong reputation, Lets see if his play makes the difference we’ve been looking for.

I think it's hilarious that we're talking about Gase losing his job!!! I mean his first year they won 10 games and his 2nd year he lost the teams starting QB in the preseason so OF COURSE they had a bad year..... WTF.... I really read WAY too many posts on here and some of these people's incesent negativity and ignorance is overwhelming. I'm not isolating one post or another just a general statement.

On a side note i often wonder what the percentage of members are liberal dems. I'm guessing quit a few....

I don't think Gase is in risk of losing his job this year. Unless he goes off the deep end with postgame rants, is a brooding HC in house and they keep losing. Talks would at least pop up of Gase's future. But the reality of the NFL is coaches are on tight leashes with short windows. Gase was Ross' top pick. He wanted him. He got him. Ross also loved Suh for several reasons. I would surmise that Suh was closer to Ross than he was Gase. And yet, Ross let Gase make the call and ship him out while he is still playing elite ball; along with several other big name stars on this team. We know Gase has final say on the roster, so Ross obviously is backing Gase on these calls. He's trusting him to make the right calls. Yes, he lost his starting QB before the season began. Ross would know that and you can't fault a coach too much for the drop in performance that follows. The way they lost some games was absolutely brutal though. That is concerning. The breakdown of team chemistry and players lashing out, that is concerning. The firesale going on with the roster and some of it's superstars, that is concerning. All red flags that pop up and make an owner uneasy. Clearly though, for the time being, Ross is behind Gase.

To me, Gase made these giant moves because he was reading the overall trajectory of the team. From what he was seeing, there were pieces that needed to go because they were not benefiting the team long term for different reasons: salary cap, age, injury history, and as he made abundantly clear in his post game pressers, lack of assignment football, lack of team chemistry, lack of leadership, increase in pissing matches, etc. If you were a player that fell into those categories in Gase's eyes, you were gone, big name or not. Why? Because long term, you are a detriment to Gase's job and the overall trajectory and direction Gase is trying to take the team. Now, people could make the argument that those stars were reflecting the attitude/culture set forth by their coach. Intentionally or not. I am a FIRM believer in that classic line from Remember the Titans, "attitude reflects leadership." Perhaps we are seeing the limits of Gase's HC abilities. He can dial up some offenses when he has the right pieces, and he flourishes in offenses when he has the right personalities, but perhaps he struggles in both areas if the pieces/personalities aren't just right. Some might view this as a major weakness in being a HC. And it's tough to argue against that. Lot of truth to it. We often hear Gase is a better coordinator than he is HC. However, Ross is banking on Gase's plan to right the ship, get his starting QB back, remove stars, bring in middle tier guys that fit what Gase needs (potentially), etc. If it works....then he is a great HC. Taking mid tier guys, plugging them and coaching them up to what he needs. If it doesn't....well.....we will be looking for another coach in a few years.

One thing that is abundantly clear for 2018...this is Gase's ship and he told us the crew would be changing.

I don't think Gase is in risk of losing his job this year. Unless he goes off the deep end with postgame rants, is a brooding HC in house and they keep losing. Talks would at least pop up of Gase's future. But the reality of the NFL is coaches are on tight leashes with short windows. Gase was Ross' top pick. He wanted him. He got him. Ross also loved Suh for several reasons. I would surmise that Suh was closer to Ross than he was Gase. And yet, Ross let Gase make the call and ship him out while he is still playing elite ball; along with several other big name stars on this team. We know Gase has final say on the roster, so Ross obviously is backing Gase on these calls. He's trusting him to make the right calls. Yes, he lost his starting QB before the season began. Ross would know that and you can't fault a coach too much for the drop in performance that follows. The way they lost some games was absolutely brutal though. That is concerning. The breakdown of team chemistry and players lashing out, that is concerning. The firesale going on with the roster and some of it's superstars, that is concerning. All red flags that pop up and make an owner uneasy. Clearly though, for the time being, Ross is behind Gase.

To me, Gase made these giant moves because he was reading the overall trajectory of the team. From what he was seeing, there were pieces that needed to go because they were not benefiting the team long term for different reasons: salary cap, age, injury history, and as he made abundantly clear in his post game pressers, lack of assignment football, lack of team chemistry, lack of leadership, increase in pissing matches, etc. If you were a player that fell into those categories in Gase's eyes, you were gone, big name or not. Why? Because long term, you are a detriment to Gase's job and the overall trajectory and direction Gase is trying to take the team. Now, people could make the argument that those stars were reflecting the attitude/culture set forth by their coach. Intentionally or not. I am a FIRM believer in that classic line from Remember the Titans, "attitude reflects leadership." Perhaps we are seeing the limits of Gase's HC abilities. He can dial up some offenses when he has the right pieces, and he flourishes in offenses when he has the right personalities, but perhaps he struggles in both areas if the pieces/personalities aren't just right. Some might view this as a major weakness in being a HC. And it's tough to argue against that. Lot of truth to it. We often hear Gase is a better coordinator than he is HC. However, Ross is banking on Gase's plan to right the ship, get his starting QB back, remove stars, bring in middle tier guys that fit what Gase needs (potentially), etc. If it works....then he is a great HC. Taking mid tier guys, plugging them and coaching them up to what he needs. If it doesn't....well.....we will be looking for another coach in a few years.

One thing that is abundantly clear for 2018...this is Gase's ship and he told us the crew would be changing.
Well very said. Great post.

Got to think he's got at least a few more seasons on that leash. He's certainly an arrogant SOB, but that comes with being young, I think.

My nightmare is firing him and starting over, yet again, this time with someone like Eric Mangini...who very well could have been our guy had Ross not been so enamored with Gase.

Back
Top Bottom