Get on the Jordan Willis Train! | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Get on the Jordan Willis Train!

Big #75 was all over the field in the Senior Bowl. This is the guy that I'd like to get in round 1. If we trade down and get another pick and still get him then of course that's better but I'm fine if we snag him at #22. Bring the card up and secure an excellent player with the exact skill set we need. I think I've made my feeling clear about the word "reach" in other posts. When the games start it doesn't matter if Mayock or Kiper don't feel we got excellent value, who cares. What if we can move down 5 or 6 spots and generate a trade for a starting quality Guard? Last year we moved down and got 2 starters, Kiko and Maxwell. If not a player then a high pick would be nice but we would need to address Guard pretty quickly after snagging Willis. A year down the road I believe Willis would look like a very good pick.

Theres a history of players who do well at the senior bowl succeeding in the NFL....he tore it up!

I'm a fan of Willis for our wide pass rush set. He fits our scheme to a "T". That said, Willis has plenty of holes in his games. He's pretty much a one-trick pony on the edge who must develop a counter and an inside game to be a more highly productive player at the NFL level.

frankly, i don't think he'd develop a counter in a wide 9 because he wouldn't have to

Thanks Vaark. :brewskis: That actually wasn't the website I was looking for though that's pretty damn cool and that one is now bookmarked. It was a simple article and I finally found it. Appreciate the extra motivational boost to finally nail down some searches after you posted this.

Here's the link: Who Crafted the Best Big Board in 2014?

And the graphic:

NFL-Drafter-Rankings-2014-Vers1.png

Mayock and Matt miller were the guys I was thinking about that ranked in the 40's, Kiper landed at 35.

I became aware of this site during Rick Gosselin's hot streak. Curiously, while it appears he still mocks, outside of his past "championships" he's no where to be found on these rankings or their other individuals one:
http://www.thehuddlereport.com/thr/mock.scores.shtml

FWIW, one of the most predictive "gurus" over the last year and last 5, Forrest Long, has us taking Lamp

http://fftoolbox.scout.com/nfl_draft/2017/2017-nfl-mock-draft.cfm?writer=2&page=2

frankly, i don't think he'd develop a counter in a wide 9 because he wouldn't have to

If all you can do is run the arc a tackle is just going to carry you on a loop putting you behind the QB with no impact on the play as the QB simply has has to step up in the pocket and never move from his launch point. Willis definitely needs an inside counter.

The thing is...if your just watching old tape.
Your makeing the assumption that talented young athletes won't or can't develop, learn and improve his game.

Jordan Willis has been putting in the work with former all pro left tackle Will Shields all year to improve and learn.

This guy checks all the boxes and is gonna be a steal for somebody.

Thanks for the link. As I read it, huddlereport has Mayock #6 over a 5 year average. Not too bad. McGinn? I know little about him, but he pops up at #3. To me, the year/year variance is an indicator how difficult evaluations are, yet, fans expect annual perfection.

McGinn is a Packers writer. Here's a link to his qualitative ranking of this year's Top 100 draft and from there, a link to by position:
http://www.jsonline.com/story/sport...ob-mcginns-top-100-nfl-draft-board/100915830/

Thanks Vaark. :brewskis: That actually wasn't the website I was looking for though that's pretty damn cool and that one is now bookmarked. It was a simple article and I finally found it. Appreciate the extra motivational boost to finally nail down some searches after you posted this.

Here's the link: Who Crafted the Best Big Board in 2014?

Mayock and Matt miller were the guys I was thinking about that ranked in the 40's, Kiper landed at 35.

Thanks, guys, looks like I know what I'll be doing for the next several hours... oh well, there goes another productive morning out the window!

tumblr_lf3hoxLY4A1qesc3io1_500.gif

PFF has him ranked in the top 5 for both run stopping and pass rushing for a DE. I don't live by what they say but that's pretty damn soild.

Only because you brought up PFF

PFF Scouting Report: Jordan Willis, Edge, Kansas State

Stats to know: Was second in the country with 80 total pressures.

What he does best:

High-motor, high-energy player who brings it down after down. Played 841 snaps, ninth-most of any defensive lineman in the country.
Explosive get-off for size. Can stress the offensive tackle’s upfield shoulder and counters that with an effective inside spin move.
Already proficient with an outside swim move. Easily his go-to. Has the height and strength to effectively swat away an offensive lineman’s hands on a consistent basis.
Flashes power to be a consistent threat as a bull rusher and collapse pockets.
Possesses enough flexibility to play from an extremely low stance and win initial leverage battle.
Can get skinny around edge and force offensive tackle to open up the gate.

Biggest concern:

Despite his power, Willis all too often wants to dance with offensive linemen. Plays patty cake in run defense and will cede ground.
Plays far too high at times which leads to balance problems. Can get absolutely washed out of runs.
When he loses the first punch battle he’s finished. Almost never won with a secondary move.
Stopping/starting and changing directions is an issue. Would not want him playing in any kind of space.
Stiff around the corner, falling to the ground regularly even after he’s won.

Player comparison: Emmanuel Ogbah, Cleveland Browns

The immense size and explosion that Ogbah and Willis possess were more than enough to beat up on right tackles in the Big 12. The refined skillset it takes to do the same at the NFL level though isn’t quite there at this point.

Bottom line: There was no more productive edge player in our grading system than Willis, but when forced to go up against quality competition at the Senior Bowl practices he was one of the lowest-graded. The massive leap from junior year to senior year is encouraging as he’ll need to continue that improvement to be an effective starter at the next level.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/draft-pff-scouting-report-jordan-willis-edge-kansas-state/

Only because you brought up PFF

Bottom line: There was no more productive edge player in our grading system than Willis, but when forced to go up against quality competition at the Senior Bowl practices he was one of the lowest-graded. The massive leap from junior year to senior year is encouraging as he’ll need to continue that improvement to be an effective starter at the next level.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/draft-pff-scouting-report-jordan-willis-edge-kansas-state/
Except Jordan Willis was a star in the actual Senior Bowl GAME even if not in the practices.

"What we WILL talk about is Jordan Willis flat-out pwning the Senior Bowl on Saturday. The Wildcat defensive end recorded a pair of strip-sacks (which goes down on the stat sheet as two sacks and two forced fumbles) as well as a pass breakup. That performance earned him the South team’s Most Outstanding Player honor in a game won by the South 16-15."

http://www.bringonthecats.com/k-sta...r-bowl-south-most-outstanding-player-recruits

Except Jordan Willis was a star in the actual Senior Bowl GAME even if not in the practices.

"What we WILL talk about is Jordan Willis flat-out pwning the Senior Bowl on Saturday. The Wildcat defensive end recorded a pair of strip-sacks (which goes down on the stat sheet as two sacks and two forced fumbles) as well as a pass breakup. That performance earned him the South team’s Most Outstanding Player honor in a game won by the South 16-15."

http://www.bringonthecats.com/k-sta...r-bowl-south-most-outstanding-player-recruits

That is why I highlighted the last part.

I hope you guys are right about Willis.

I'm scared of any DE at 22.

I've seen too many of the guys we're targeting going in the 2nd or late first in mocks.

Trading down is what I'm hoping for

If he's as good as many think, isn't there a huge possibility he'll be gone by 22 anyways?

Willis may legitimately go top 15 or 20 tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom