Going to my first Dolphins game at age 44 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Going to my first Dolphins game at age 44

marino2duper73

Active Roster
Reaction score
So, I've been a FH member since 2004, and been a Dolphins fan since 1977. I saw Larry Csonka on tv as a kid with blood all over his jersey and claimed my team from that moment on.

This year, at the Chargers (I live in Sacramento, CA), I will be attending my first ever Dolphins game. My good friend of many years, who is also an avid member FH and Fin Fan, is meeting my wife and I in L.A.

We will be getting to the stadium as early as allowed.

For those of you that know the tricks and nuances to getting the most out of a game experience, I am asking about the things you've truly enjoyed and the things you learned not to do (besides the obvious).

We've been planning a game trip for 15 years. It's finally happening.

I appreciate all levels of advice and gameday experiences.

Note: If you troll my thread, I will make a voodoo doll of your mother-in-law and surround her with suitcases and your address. :)

Thank you fellow Dolphins fans!FB_IMG_1503072713686.jpg FB_IMG_1503072713686.jpg

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1503072706427.jpg
    FB_IMG_1503072706427.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 16
So, I've been a FH member since 2004, and been a Dolphins fan since 1977. I saw Larry Csonka on tv as a kid with blood all over his jersey and claimed my team from that moment on.

This year, at the Chargers (I live in Sacramento, CA), I will be attending my first ever Dolphins game. My good friend of many years, who is also an avid member FH and Fin Fan, is meeting my wife and I in L.A.

We will be getting to the stadium as early as allowed.

For those of you that know the tricks and nuances to getting the most out of a game experience, I am asking about the things you've truly enjoyed and the things you learned not to do (besides the obvious).

We've been planning a game trip for 15 years. It's finally happening.

I appreciate all levels of advice and gameday experiences.

Note: If you troll my thread, I will make a voodoo doll of your mother-in-law and surround her with suitcases and your address. :)

Thank you fellow Dolphins fans!View attachment 9539 View attachment 9539

I would say: tailgate. But it doesn't make sense getting all this stuff for just one game. Not sure if any LA Dolfans are tailgating. You could join them.
With the Dolphins Uber is providing tailgate stuff for people who are not diehard tailgaters but would love to tailgate. Maybe the Chargers do something similar.

I think hanging out with like minded people for a few hours, the smell of grilled food, beer and other beverages is really the whole football experience. I don't think without it I could have survived all these miserable home games over the years. I know people who are just going for tailgating. They have given up their season tickets many years ago but love tailgating.

If not catch up with Dolphins fans prior to the game (dedicated Dolphins bar). One of my neighbors is going to the game with a whole group and they all meet prior to the game. I have to find out about their travel schedule though.

Either way: have fun

First of all, LOVE the Star Wars reference on your jersey!

When it comes to the game, as phins4 mentioned, make sure to maximize your tailgating experience. If you have a truck or SUV that would be ideal, because you will need to bring a bunch of stuff. Most important is a grill, and go all out with the food you're going to bring. Burgers and dogs are cool, but since this is a one off type deal you want to make something special. If you're able to go early enough, bring breakfast food and do a breakfast tailgate first, then have your main food items a bit later. Make sure to bring more food and beverage than you think you'll need, it's a long day and it goes faster than you expect, and you might want to share with some of the new friends you are sure to meet. Not sure if you'll be enjoying adult beverages, but if so make sure to bring some water/soda/juice as well, it's really nice after you have been drinking all day. Also important will be chairs, you'll want to sit and relax because it will be a long day. If possible, you'll want to get some type of canopy or something that you can use for sun protection (I recommend a sun hat for the same reason), the sun will beat you down if you don't, it is also great if it ends up raining. If it does rain, a poncho will save your life, but I don't think it rains too much out there. Some things that many people either forget or don't bring enough of: trash bags, paper towels, utensils, paper plates/bowls, sunscreen.

Make sure to check the parking situation, I'm not sure of the setup at that stadium, but try to get a parking pass. The PP will get you closer to the action and give you the full tailgate experience, also a shorter walk to the stadium.

Try to gather as many Dolphin fans as possible for your tailgate, either here on the FH board (more people will post as the game gets closer), or people that are local to you. If you have a big Dolphin flag or sign, Dolphin fans at the game will see you and come over to join your tailgate or just say hello.

Finally, here is the boss move of the day;, POSTGAME TAILGATE!!! Bring extra food and beverages that you can enjoy after the game is over. As everyone else is sitting in traffic and being generally pissed off, you will be enjoying yourself and reflecting on the day, just tailgate until the traffic dies down and then you can pack up and head out.

ENJOY!

When it comes to the game, as phins4 mentioned, make sure to maximize your tailgating experience. If you have a truck or SUV that would be ideal, because you will need to bring a bunch of stuff. Most important is a grill, and go all out with the food you're going to bring. Burgers and dogs are cool, but since this is a one off type deal you want to make something special. If you're able to go early enough, bring breakfast food and do a breakfast tailgate first, then have your main food items a bit later. Make sure to bring more food and beverage than you think you'll need, it's a long day and it goes faster than you expect, and you might want to share with some of the new friends you are sure to meet. Not sure if you'll be enjoying adult beverages, but if so make sure to bring some water/soda/juice as well, it's really nice after you have been drinking all day. Also important will be chairs, you'll want to sit and relax because it will be a long day. If possible, you'll want to get some type of canopy or something that you can use for sun protection (I recommend a sun hat for the same reason), the sun will beat you down if you don't, it is also great if it ends up raining. If it does rain, a poncho will save your life, but I don't think it rains too much out there. Some things that many people either forget or don't bring enough of: trash bags, paper towels, utensils, paper plates/bowls, sunscreen.

Make sure to check the parking situation, I'm not sure of the setup at that stadium, but try to get a parking pass. The PP will get you closer to the action and give you the full tailgate experience, also a shorter walk to the stadium.

Try to gather as many Dolphin fans as possible for your tailgate, either here on the FH board (more people will post as the game gets closer), or people that are local to you. If you have a big Dolphin flag or sign, Dolphin fans at the game will see you and come over to join your tailgate or just say hello.

Finally, here is the boss move of the day;, POSTGAME TAILGATE!!! Bring extra food and beverages that you can enjoy after the game is over. As everyone else is sitting in traffic and being generally pissed off, you will be enjoying yourself and reflecting on the day, just tailgate until the traffic dies down and then you can pack up and head out.

ENJOY!

Wow that's a lot of info!

We probably will be the tailgate seekers, not the tailgate hosts. My '92 Lincoln Town Car does have a three-body trunk, but the equipment required for a full court tailgate won't be in the budget lol. These tickets for that tiny-ass soccer venue (29K capacity) are $200 and change each for late row end zone. I know I know. Budget and NFL ate like oil and water, but it is what it is. Thank you for the insight!

ENJOY!

And thank you for the jersey reference kudos. I had to get a universal nameplate because this flipping team is so unpredictable. I once bought an authentic Yatil Green jersey. THAT taught me a lesson.

Wow that's a lot of info!

We probably will be the tailgate seekers, not the tailgate hosts. My '92 Lincoln Town Car does have a three-body trunk, but the equipment required for a full court tailgate won't be in the budget lol. These tickets for that tiny-*** soccer venue (29K capacity) are $200 and change each for late row end zone. I know I know. Budget and NFL ate like oil and water, but it is what it is. Thank you for the insight!

I would strongly recommend making you own tailgate; you can get creative if budget is an issue. You should be able to borrow most anything you need from friends/neighbors where you live, the key is to plan ahead and start working on gathering your supplies as soon as possible. You will be surprised what you can come up with if you ask around.

And trust me, POSTGAME TAILGATE!

I'm contemplating going to the LA game, but I was excited to see Tannehill and Gase at fulll strength, not sure if I want to drop $200 to see Cutler. I went to the San Diego game year before last where we were destroyed. Damn near ruins the whole trip when stuff like that happens. Of all the times I went to games live I've always regretted not getting to my seat early to see them warmup. So that would be my advice.

It will be interesting because thats the first regular season game for the Chargers in LA and its at the Stubhub Center where the LA Galaxy play and only holds 27k. So it's going to be a brand new experience.

Last year there were a TON of Dolphin fans at the Coliseum for the Rams game. I was out there in the rain and the Dolphin fans definitely had an effect on the game. I may go to the LA game again but all the injuries bummed me out and tickets are pretty expensive. Although I think that will change they only had 21k at their first preseason game

Back
Top Bottom