Good Coaches VS Bad Coaches | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Good Coaches VS Bad Coaches

midwest_phinfan

Starter
Reaction score
I just read a quote from Rick Speilman and it got me thinking....

"Yeremiah and Will have both had excellent mini camps and quarterback schools. Both are athletic defensive backs who fit the scheme that we run."

This quote gets me excited over the way our FO runs things. Look at the difference between perceived "good" and "bad" coaches.

Good: Bill Parcells, Bill Bellicheck, Dick Vermeil, Joe Gibbs etc. These guys have a particular system they like to run. They go out and get guys to fit that system, players that they think will fit the mold of what they are trying to do. Last year Parcells was revered for making the playoffs his first year in dallas. He was able to do that because he got players (some from former teams) that he knew could run his system.

Bad: Steve Spurrier, Tom Coughlin, etc. These coaches try to force their system onto their teams and they usually fail miserably. There is turmoil in the clubhouse, players complain, etc. It's already happening in NY before the season starts. In the NFL you have to work with what you have. Spurrier's shortcomings were the fact that he was unwilling to compromise his offense to fit the players he had.

People complain that our scheme is too conservative and at times it is. I wish we'd blitz more on D, I wish we'd throw more deep balls on O, but we don't. Wannstedt has stayed true to his scheme from day one and I'm not sure that's a bad thing.

I think Wannstedt gets a bad break from fans and the media. While I have never met him, everything I read says that he is one of the good guys in football. Honestly, do you think he'd be getting paid what he is and that he'd still be coaching if he was as totally inept like some fans make him out to be.
I am of the small majority that thinks he is a quality head coach. We have to remember that he doesn't call the plays, he's not the one making or missing the tackles. His main job is to make sure the team is ready and motivated to perform every week. I happen to think he's done a great job at being consistent. I can only think of one game (Texans) that we weren't prepared to play last year and that hurt us a lot. But I still think Dave is a good person and a good head coach.

I really hope we win it all this year, that would put to rest so many storylines on this team that we wouldn't have much to chat about on here.

Then the story line from fans would be is that we won the SB inspite of Wanny, not because of him..He'll never get a break here, just like Jay would never get a break here.

MDFINFAN said:
Then the story line from fans would be is that we won the SB inspite of Wanny, not because of him..He'll never get a break here, just like Jay would never get a break here.

Ditto.... :clap:

Depends on what your description of a good or bad coach is.

Good: coaches that are able to adjust their schemes based on the talent they have and make it work = Parcells , Bellichick, etc.

Bad =coaches who have excellent talent but can't make it work = Wanny, Spurrier, Greghead Williams, Gilbride.

Justasportsfan said:

Good: coaches that are able to adjust their schemes based on the talent they have and make it work = Parcells , Bellichick, etc.

Bad =coaches who have excellent talent but can't make it work = Wanny, Spurrier, Greghead Williams, Gilbride.

This is procisely what Wanny has done. He's tweat his style to what he has, we don't have a QB who can throw longer than 20 yards accurately, he brought in Ricky and ran, and had Jay manage games. Our OL was miserably last year and yet we won 10 games because Wanny recognize it and went ultra conservative. When Gailey ran the O, we threw alot when Jay was on, since Jay's injuries and his pass ability has dimenish, we've ran way more than we use to if you can believe that. I again urge people to be careful of how they use the word talented when describing the phins, they don't have that much talent..but a whole lot of potential.

Justasportsfan said:

What talent did Spurrier have? Wanny hasn't made it work? Well then how come the bills are looking up from the bottom of the division every year? Think before you post.

you guys are so negative.
let him at least get through the tenesee game and we shall see how poor of a coach or great of a coach wanny is

Justasportsfan said:

Bad =coaches who have excellent talent but can't make it work = Wanny

Excellent talent?..Miami's problem has been the offense. Miami has some talent there, but I would hardly say that Miami has "excellent talent" on the o-line or at WR in Wanny's 4 years at head coach.

Here's some examples..

Orande Gadsden, Leslie Shephard, James McKnight, Todd Perry, Tim Ruddy, James Fiedler, James Brown, Todd Wade, Tony Martin..

Blame Wanny for being a bad GM, but the talent on offense hasn't been nearly good enough.

midwest_phinfan said:
Wanny hasn't made it work? Well then how come the bills are looking up from the bottom of the division every year? Think before you post.

The Pats hardly had the talent the fins had when they won their first sb. The fins had the best talent then. Yet, the pats won the sb and the fins didn't? Yeah that's what a coach like BB can do, adjust.They were also the most injured team last year and what did they do? Adjust.

The the fins?

You can say the fins had a horible line, qb but who's fault is that? Wasn't Wanny in charge of drafting and hiring FA's?

You can say that Wanny didn't have a qb and yet the Pats didn't have a rb.

If you think having a winning season w/o a playoff appearance by your definition is "making it work" then I hope you keep Wanny.

As for the bills, see the bad coach list, You will see GW and Gilbride. Read and comprehend before you reply. :lol:

Gladsadmad said:
Excellent talent?..Miami's problem has been the offense. Miami has some talent there, but I would hardly say that Miami has "excellent talent" on the o-line or at WR in Wanny's 4 years at head coach.

Here's some examples..

Orande Gadsden, Leslie Shephard, James McKnight, Todd Perry, Tim Ruddy, James Fiedler, James Brown, Todd Wade, Tony Martin..

Blame Wanny for being a bad GM, but the talent on offense hasn't been nearly good enough.

Really? You guys were saying if Fiedler didn't go down 2002 and Lucas didn't come in Blah,blah,blah. That was the sentiment of this board. Ask Oliver.

The next sentiment was "we don't have Lucas and Griese will be a great backup"

Why was everyone picking the fins to go to the sb last year?

Your OL has been great up until last year. People here were even predicting RW would get 2000 yds.

All of a sudden you didn't have talent? You guys change your minds so fast it's funny.

Justasportsfan said:
Really? You guys were saying if Fiedler didn't go down 2002 and Lucas didn't come in Blah,blah,blah. That was the sentiment of this board. Ask Oliver.

The next sentiment was "we don't have Lucas and Griese will be a great backup"

Why was everyone picking the fins to go to the sb last year?

Your OL has been great up until last year. People here were even predicting RW would get 2000 yds.

All of a sudden you didn't have talent? You guys change your minds so fast it's funny.

Obviously, they were wrong. Just because some Dolphins fans thought Ray Lucas or Griese were great doesn't make it so.

Those players proved that they weren't that good by the way that they played. Therefore, they weren't that talented after all.

Gladsadmad said:
Those players proved that they weren't that good by the way that they played. Therefore, they weren't that talented after all.
which falls right into my point, Wanny is not a good coach then. He decided what talent to bring in. He's a good DC but not a good coach IMO. He's proven that in Chicago. JJ handed him the starting job. Spielman will regret the day he decided to retain Wanny ,IMO.

Back
Top Bottom