Good first impression from Dolphins’ young corners | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Good first impression from Dolphins’ young corners

Howard was a dominant and tenacious CB in college. Really, his one big drawback was that he was too grabby. He's gotten that in check and worked very hard since being drafted. He is one of those alphas they drafted that truly wants to be great, and has the tools to achieve greatness. Press man corners almost always come into the NFL very raw. It's a hard position to master, and there simply isn't enough time to get good at the physical and the spatial stuff in college, so they need work. Howard put his nose to the grindstone and really improved his flaws as a rookie.

Progressing so much in a year with limited preseason time to train, limited reps during the season, frustrating injuries and a whirlwind of change is very impressive. Now that he's healthy and has that year of learning under his belt. I'm expecting a big year for him, and predicted as much before OTA's. So, I'm quite happy to see this preseason displaying exactly that ... major progress. Physical, quick, fast, tenacious, good ball skills, unshakable confidence, and the ability to stay with receivers. X. Howard's upside is huge, and I think we got a gem when we drafted him.

Howard was a dominant and tenacious CB in college. Really, his one big drawback was that he was too grabby. He's gotten that in check and worked very hard since being drafted. He is one of those alphas they drafted that truly wants to be great, and has the tools to achieve greatness. Press man corners almost always come into the NFL very raw. It's a hard position to master, and there simply isn't enough time to get good at the physical and the spatial stuff in college, so they need work. Howard put his nose to the grindstone and really improved his flaws as a rookie.

Progressing so much in a year with limited preseason time to train, limited reps during the season, frustrating injuries and a whirlwind of change is very impressive. Now that he's healthy and has that year of learning under his belt. I'm expecting a big year for him, and predicted as much before OTA's. So, I'm quite happy to see this preseason displaying exactly that ... major progress. Physical, quick, fast, tenacious, good ball skills, unshakable confidence, and the ability to stay with receivers. X. Howard's upside is huge, and I think we got a gem when we drafted him.
Agreed its just the injury factor to be concerned with at this point. Any thoughts out there regarding past injuries and if thry could be chronic?

Agreed its just the injury factor to be concerned with at this point. Any thoughts out there regarding past injuries and if thry could be chronic?
Xavien Howard isn't a guy who missed a lot of games in college to injury. I don't see any injuries that look to be chronic. But, sometimes it's hard to tell, so fingers crossed.

Xavien Howard isn't a guy who missed a lot of games in college to injury. I don't see any injuries that look to be chronic. But, sometimes it's hard to tell, so fingers crossed.

I'm encouraged by Howard. Love his physical play and, at times, he looked like a shutdown guy. I can't wait to see what he can do this year.

Lippett has nice ball skills, but I'm still not sure he's a #2. Ideally, I think he's a #3, but he could still take his game up a notch. He's another guy who is a hard worker.

Tankersley is interesting and was a ball hawk at Clemson. Will be interesting to see how he develops. Will Burke be as skilled as Joseph with the secondary? That's another question.

It's hard to gauge injuries, but like you noted Howard didn't miss a lot of games in college. Miami seemed to really put a premium on drafting durable players this year, which is something that could pay off after taking so many injury-prone players with premium picks over that last five years.

.. Miami seemed to really put a premium on drafting durable players this year, which is something that could pay off after taking so many injury-prone players with premium picks over that last five years.
Yeah, I think it was clear to most of us, and I posted about it at the time and even before, that we had too many players with questionable health risks. Sure, it's usually a good idea to take a few gambles on guys who have low costs because of health risks ... but with the limited rosters and need for chemistry, there is a limit to how many gambles a team should take. We far exceeded that.

This is part of the reason we let go of players like Branden Albert, Jelani Jenkins and Earl Mitchell. We needed to reduce the number of fragile gambles. As you mentioned, our draft was pretty exclusive to durable players this year and last. Gase clearly believes in the Parcells mantra that he wants his salary cap on the playing field not the training table ... even if it means passing on superior talent to get durability. But, it was that philosophy that brought us Koa Misi instead of Rob Gronkowski ... and Misi turned out to be not only far less talented, but also not durable. IMHO, the reason Misi is still around is because we re-negotiated his salary to a much lower level, and want backups that don't completely suck like we had last year in Hewitt and Paysinger ... and Butler ... and Jenkins ... and it hurts my head to even remember these guys they were so bad last year. Oh yeah, and the non-player Dion Jordan was cut too.

In addition to getting more durable, we're clearly in the market for better depth this year, especially at those positions where we suffered injuries in the past, like S, CB, LB, TE and even WR. While I would have preferred to see more investment into the OL and an LB who could cover ... it was not to be. But we sure did pour resources into our LB and secondary, where injuries crippled our defense last year.

There was a real confluence of circumstances that made our secondary look very fragile last year. Things like Reshad Jones, who never really misses games to injury, missing most of the season. Xavien Howard having a string of injuries that were also uncharacteristic of him in college. Then we acquired obviously damaged goods in Byron Maxwell, who took a while to heal up last year, and then went out injured late in the season. Clearly Maxwell needed an offseason to heal up. Jones and Howard should be back to normal this year. While IAQ will be missed--he really did a decent job at FS--we invested in Allen and McDonald. They should each be a major upgrade to Michael Thomas or Bacarri Rambo or Walt Aikens who couldn't even make the playing field as a safety during our injury-ravaged season last year.

Then the stability I'm expecting our secondary to have this year is far greater than what we experienced last year. This should only help young progressing guys like Howard, Lippett and McCain. Last year the constant carousel of players made it difficult for most of them to ever find their rhythm or gel as a unit.

Reading the tea leaves appears Lawrence Timmons has the inside track at strong. Of course Koa hasn't been cleared yet.

Would seem to also indicate that Raekwon is the plan a mike

Koa could find himself cut cause I don't think he plays specials. Although he's dirt cheap now. Given the price I'd carry him provided he's cleared for medical at least as strong depth

I was interpreting the latest coaches comments in the same way. I like it but they will have to see how it plays out when the pads comes on and the full defense is implemented. Misi would be great off the bench if needed but like you said....special teams is an issue. He took a big pay cut but we are still on the hook for the last extension. It shows 1.125M in guaranteed money for this year with a 2.335M cap hit if we release him. He counts 3.55M if he stays on the team.

Misi played 7 ST snaps last year in the 3 games he played. About the same number the year before over 14 games.

Last year we kept 7 LB's to start the season.

This year it probably comes down to....

Starters: Timmons, Alonso & McMillan
Backups: Hewitt, Misi, Hull

and then probably one guy from the remaining 5 who should stick for ST's.

Trevor Reilly, Brandon Watts, Deon Lacey, Chase Allen, Lamin Barrow.

If one or two of these guys really shine, it would not be good for Koa.

I was interpreting the latest coaches comments in the same way. I like it but they will have to see how it plays out when the pads comes on and the full defense is implemented. Misi would be great off the bench if needed but like you said....special teams is an issue. He took a big pay cut but we are still on the hook for the last extension. It shows 1.125M in guaranteed money for this year with a 2.335M cap hit if we release him. He counts 3.55M if he stays on the team.

Misi played 7 ST snaps last year in the 3 games he played. About the same number the year before over 14 games.

Last year we kept 7 LB's to start the season.

This year it probably comes down to....

Starters: Timmons, Alonso & McMillan
Backups: Hewitt, Misi, Hull

and then probably one guy from the remaining 5 who should stick for ST's.

Trevor Reilly, Brandon Watts, Deon Lacey, Chase Allen, Lamin Barrow.

If one or two of these guys really shine, it would not be good for Koa.

wow $3.5 mil to carry koa cap hit wise...that's bad money for depth. I just wonder if hull would actually be the 2 deep mike when he should be the 4th option provided Miami was doing what they are saying and cross training lbs. Timmons and kiko both should be ahead of hull for that run

koa looks like a 50/50 thing right now...provided he's cleared medically...I didn't know the cap hit was that high to keep him as depth...I don't think he's gonna be enough of a difference maker on specials either

I did not say it was over looked by the staff, I said I agreed it is overlooked which it has in many of the forum threads. If you had continued reading the thread instead of just commenting right away my entire post was exactly how each player was evaluated in the draft.
Sorry if I jump to conclusions. I just thought it was an odd statement to make after the way the team drafted. I totally agree the players are long shots to contribute much this season, but for immediate contributor, as you pointed out they would've had to make such a pick much earlier. I guess that can be taken two different ways. Either they didn't like who felt to them, or they felt there were greater needs elsewhere.
Hopefully if these pics work out and Miami improves on depth they will be freed to make such pics in the future. Namaste my friend!

No way Misi starts. His track record for going down just when we need him creates a chaotic situation among an LB corps that is primed to be rebuilt. Misi is clearly our injury substitution the way I see it. We have Kiko who can play all across the LB line. We are cross-training Timmons at Mike and Sam. Likewise, we're cross-training the rook Raekwon to play all three LB positions. Eventually we want him to play Mike ... clearly. But, I suspect that the coaching staff knows it is a race to see how far he progresses reading offenses and calling defensive adjustments before committing to him full time as the Mike.

There will be a learning curve regardless of position, but if McMillan plays Mike it will feel more comfortable and be problematic. The staff is probably also considering letting Timmons or Kiko marshall the defense from an OLB position and free up McMillan to seek the ball carrier. Then, next season he can call the plays as well. But, if he can handle it, my guess is that the staff wants Raekwon McMillan to win the Mike, call the adjustments and take charge. The only question is when. It's not going to be flawless in his first season, and he'll be exposed as he learns ... but I think the three starters are set, Kiko, Timmons and McMillan. If someone gets injured, Misi would slot into the Sam with the other two starters healthy manning Mike and Will.

Sorry if I jump to conclusions. I just thought it was an odd statement to make after the way the team drafted. I totally agree the players are long shots to contribute much this season, but for immediate contributor, as you pointed out they would've had to make such a pick much earlier. I guess that can be taken two different ways. Either they didn't like who felt to them, or they felt there were greater needs elsewhere.
Hopefully if these pics work out and Miami improves on depth they will be freed to make such pics in the future. Namaste my friend!
No problems just interested to see what happens

Tankersley is interesting and was a ball hawk at Clemson. Will be interesting to see how he develops. Will Burke be as skilled as Joseph with the secondary? That's another question..

I think you've hit a major point here. Whatever about his abilities as a DC (not even mentioning he's a HC now), the one thing people were unanimous about Coach Joseph was he was an incredible teacher of the fundamentals of defense. His speciality was secondary players and it's absolutely no coincidence that our raw corners developed so fast last year. Howard was very fundamentally sound and physically everything you want, even if he was still raw on offensive concepts in the NFL. Lippett was the surprise package on the whole team for me personally. ConSi der ing his inexperience at the position, his growth and productivity were impressive.

McCain, well I believe his limitations are physical and apparently Joseph wanted to replace him with Thomas but Gase overruled.

Either way, we have lost one of the league's best secondary teachers and are back with Lou Anarumo (I think), who has been ok but mainly working with vet corners (Grimes, Finnegan et al).

Lippett and Howard to me should continue to grow. The seed has already been planted there. Tankersley and the UDFAs though? I'd be surprised to see them make the jump as fast as the kids under VJ did.

No way Misi starts. His track record for going down just when we need him creates a chaotic situation among an LB corps that is primed to be rebuilt. Misi is clearly our injury substitution the way I see it.

We've all read this chapter before. Guys whose injuries creep into camp, often fall behind anyway. This staff is almost overly cautious with injuries anyway. I don't see him starting either.

you cut misi you set yourself up for either hull or Hewitt starting at least in base if you get one injury.

and that's an ehh proposition.

you also set yourself up for a musical chairs scenario of shifting and guys playing in less than ideal locations...

you keep misi you have a solid 2 deep 2 down strong option which allows you to leave raekwon and kiko where the plan a was in the first place...but again you paying $3.5 mil cap hit for a 2 deep coming off a potential career ending neck injury? or is it smarter to cut bait and likely pick up a Donald butler in game week prep should you get an injury in game...

tough call but converting $1.25 mil to guaranteed moneys for misi means he was at least a fall back option had they struck out in the draft to add ready to play

nothing got you beat more at lb in 2016 than the nickel play so my eye would always be towards making sure I have enough horses to cover myself there. base stuff is easier to find. problem for Miami is it doesn't have many non eye sore nickel options

Last edited:
you cut misi you set yourself up for either hull or Hewitt starting at least in base if you get one injury.

and that's an ehh proposition.

you also set yourself up for a musical chairs scenario of shifting and guys playing in less than ideal locations...

you keep misi you have a solid 2 deep 2 down strong option which allows you to leave raekwon and kiko where the plan a was in the first place...but again you paying $3.5 mil cap hit for a 2 deep coming off a potential career ending neck injury? or is it smarter to cut bait and likely pick up a Donald butler in game week prep should you get an injury in game...

tough call but converting $1.25 mil to guaranteed moneys for misi means he was at least a fall back option had they struck out in the draft to add ready to play

nothing got you beat more at lb in 2016 than the nickel play so my eye would always be towards making sure I have enough horses to cover myself there. base stuff is easier to find. problem for Miami is it doesn't have many non eye sore nickel options

Misi also signed an incentive based contract with 22k in weekly bonuses IF he is active. He could be setting himself up to be inactive a lot this year if he loses starting job. That would help offset the 3.5M payout. Only make him active when a starter goes down.

Back
Top Bottom