Grant | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Grant

Coach_Rob

Club Member
Reaction score
I feel the staff is putting all their trust in Grant taking over for landry. The guy is explosive as hell, and had a few good plays last year, but do they really thing Grant can bring the same production or better than Jarvis? Do you think this is the plan? and how do you feel about it? just curious...

Miami spent the last 4 seasons with Landry as their #1 WR and the main focus of their offense. He made a lot of catches and gained a lot of yards. Sure, his stats are good, but how did he help the team's overall success? He didn't. They still had a poor offense. Let another team overpay for Landry, and let Grant and Carroo share the workload. Besides, too many passes went to Landry because the o-line sucks and Cutler couldn't go deep. When they made the playoffs, it was because Tannehill made plays to Stills, which helped open up the running game. Throw downfield more, and run more (after you fix this crummy o-line); that's the key. Throwing so many short passes has resulted in too many 3 and outs. Landry's replacement should have chances for big plays once defenses have to account for the deep ball and the running game. If the next slot receiver gets a lot of catches, then Gase and his playcalling need to go!

No, they aren't. Nobody actually thinks that. The targets will be spread around. Dolphins might actually have a good receiving TE or two next year who will take some of those targets.

I am predicting that Saquon Barkley will slide and the Dolphins will take him at #11. He will take a bunch of receiving targets as well. Make no mistake, I hate RB at #11, really hate it! It is however, what I'm predicting.

This draft class is also loaded from top to bottom with excellent prospects at slot receiver. From James Washington to Trey Quinn to Keke Coutee, just loaded all over the place.

I like Grant a lot. I understand the Landry situation, and this is a business. He will go, and someone will pay a lot for him. Grant as a Welker type would be fun to watch.

I think it would be a mistake to try and replace Landry with Grant. Grant can make a play here and there, but he's not the kind of player that can be a go to receiver.

No way that happens. He will not make it by Clevland’s 2nd pick.

Teams are doing their homework this time of year. The tape doesn't lie. Barkley is an athletic freak, has been his whole life. As freakish as he is, he works very hard to be an even greater athlete,but he just doesn't have the ability to run through tackles, and scouts are scouring tape and finding that out for themselves. As big and fast as he is, he doesn't break tackles like you would expect. Any explosive RB can burst through an open hole. Any fast RB can make the long breakaway run, but what today's NFL wants is yards after contact. They just aren't there for Barkley, not anything like you might expect.

If not for the hype, he would be projected 2nd or 3rd round.

His receiving is top notch, and he is an OK blocker in the few opportunities he had, but he is most definitely not a top 20 pick. He isn't a bust candidate, but he isn't the superstar some are making him out to be.

If we take him at 11 it will be really bad value, but that's kinda how this front office rolls.

I think it would be a mistake to try and replace Landry with Grant. Grant can make a play here and there, but he's not the kind of player that can be a go to receiver.

I'm not sure why people can't comprehend that this offense
is not going to have a go to it receiver who's targeted 160+times a year

It's going to be an offense that shares the targets(less predictable)
This offense will use ALL it's pieces

I don't believe it is a straight Grant for Landry replacement. I believe we will draft a TE and Grant/Caroo combination will get 60% of the targets Landry received. Parker, Stills and Drake/Williams will get more targets. I would hate to lose Landry's fire but we really didn't win because of him. As mentioned, fix the o-line and we will have a better offense without Landry.

If we keep him it’s cool.

Grant can be used more, but I hope he isn’t used 160 times, I don’t want anyone in Miami will 160+ targets.

Allegedly.jpg

If Landry leaves, Grant would become the slot WR, but not a replacement for Jarvis. No WR would replace Jarvis, as there isn’t an offense that has a slot WR getting 160 targets. I think Kenny will see the greatest increase of targets if Landry does leave. I think Drake would be utilized more in screen passes, and splitting him out.

Jarvis is my favorite Dolphin, and it’s really hard for me to imagine him in another uniform. That being said I would be excited to see Grant as our slot WR. He has the ability to take it to the house on every play. With Drake having the same ability on the underneath stuff, and RT being a much bigger threat to take the top off the D to Stills as he did in 2016, it would cause some serious match up issues.

That's absolutely correct brother.

I missed where I said anything about Grant getting as many targets as Landry? I said he's not a go to receiver. My definition of go to receiver is different than yours and has nothing to do with number of targets. Grant is not a player you can consistently go to when you need a first down or a big play. Grant is a gadget player who should be your 4th or 5th wr option, not even including rb's and tight ends. If Landry leaves and it were up to me, I would sign someone like Jordan Matthews at half the Landry asking price and my top three wrs would be Parker, Stills and Matthews. I would still draft a wr to be 4th on the depth chart, and go into camp with Grant, Ford and Carroo leading the battle for the 5th and maybe 6th spot. I would also like to see the tight end rbs used more in the passing game more. Miami has consistently been toward the bottom of the league in % for targets to running backs or tight ends. If the offense includes these areas more in the passing game in would really decrease the pressure on the o-line in pass protection and would open things up for the outside receivers too.

If you could see my previous Grant post concerning Grant, I've been one of his bigger supporters when people were calling for him to be cut. But going from a deep depth receiver to one of your starting three is a bit much. In fact if Miami added Quadree Henderson from Pitt in the 7th round or as an undrafted wr I have no doubt he could replace Grant in every aspect. Like Grant, Henderson is more of a gadget type receiver but is explosive.

And as far as Landry is concerned I would spend Miami's 2nd round pick on Christian Kirk before I would pay Landry $14 or $15 million. You could sign a free agent guard and linebacker with the money saved.

Last edited:
I would love it if we kept Landry but the longer this plays out the more I get comfortable with the fact that his ultimate departure will not damage our offence but may open it up. At the end of the day Grant has the unusual speed to break things open and should be used in many roles but I wouldn't just put him in the slot and call him a slot receiver.

Back
Top Bottom