Great Article On Tanny | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Great Article On Tanny

TedSlimmjr,

yep im a college guy (and aTm). will do!

i played in same era (corner back) with wing T and stack, one or two receivers. option/power/intricate blocking schemes with lead backs/traps/pulling guards and lots of counters and inside reverses mixed with the occasional post routes, waggles, streaks, and seams. THAT was football!

amazing sidenote of different era:

we were one of top programs in Texas and coaches were outstanding and tough. Had a rule that no one could lay on field no matter injury. EVER! whole season only one kid did, and he was our most gung ho player- i knew his knee injury was BAD when I saw that. not one other player for one second laid injured on field in 14 games. we'd find ways to crawl off or get carried off.

yeah, old school, and crazy by today standards.

Last edited:
ok, thanks for the reply. We also need to keep on mind, speaking of money that it would cost more than 13mill of dead money if we were to cut Tannehill for the 2019 season so in other words, he can't be cut so if we bring in another QB to start over him in the 19 season we would be paying Tannehill close to 27mill to be the back up.
You can only cut him after the 2019 season to make sense financially. If a change were to occur it would be a trade and Tannehill and the new team probably have to renegotiate. But that is not a subject right now.

The original point I made that I do not accept (nor should anybody) a "syncing" period of 4 to 5 games should be unacceptable for anybody and not being used as an excuse for a poor start year-in-year-out.

yeah- i was one saying 3-4 games but youre right. we shouldnt have that luxury. THill and O wont be fully sync'd but they need to be good early to help our D.

We need to go 3 and 1 in those first 4. But that at the jets game who look improved to me is gonna be a tough one I’d say.

Tennessee is gonna try to expose our soft at the poa strong side backer choice and bang us with the tight end and that stud wr Corey davis.

I’d have x follow Davis all over the field.

I’d hope for a few rookie mistakes from Darnold but when this team has lost with Tannehill it’s highly been when we have lost the los battle. And I’m pretty darn sure we gonna lose some of them down the stretch.

Got to hope that tempo changes can offset somewhat.

You think a PURE POWER RUNNING game could help offset that? Just straight up bulldozers upfront with sledgehammer RBs and a TE like Bavaro...

BUT the NFL wants a "wide open" scoring game with lots of pigs flyin' in the air!
In theory what you say sounds good but as we've seen with running and a short passing game one mistake on a drive like a holding call or a critical dropped pass kills these kinds of offenses often. That's why chunk yardage plays are important.

That is not to say you shouldn't take what the defense gives you but it sure makes it harder to score if you rely on short power runs or even bubble screens. :)

The Jets don't look like a bad football team, but then again they didn't look like a bad football team going into 2017, either. They just sort of turned out that way.

TedSlimmjr,

yep im a college guy (and aTm). will do!

i played in same era (corner back) with wing T and stack, one or two receivers. option/power/intricate blocking schemes with lead backs/traps/pulling guards and lots of counters and inside reverses mixed with the occasional post routes, waggles, streaks, and seams. THAT was football!

amazing sidenote of different era:

we were one of top programs in Texas and coaches were outstanding and tough. Had a rule that no one could lay on field no matter injury. EVER! whole season only one kid did, and he was our most gung ho player- i knew his knee injury was BAD when I saw that. not one other player for one second laid injured on field in 14 games. we'd find ways to crawl off or get carried off.

yeah, old school, and crazy by today standards.

Absolutely. We were crazy.

It gets more difficult every year for me to evaluate a lot of these players coming out of college just because I don't even understand what some of the coaches are trying to accomplish. All a lot of 'em know how to do is spread you out and throw it 50 times out of the shotgun. So many of these coaches and teams lack toughness and identity, especially at the LOS. Defense is often an afterthought because of the 7 on 7 that has permeated football. Most of the pros are just content running around cashing huge paychecks. But that's football now. Basically a bunch of 7 on 7 but with 22 players.

My son tried to walk on at Jacksonville St. a few years ago - what I saw when I attended practices literally shocked me. Particularly in contrast to what I see at a Saban practice. Not in terms of talent, that was a given. But in terms of what they were teaching. Compared to what I learned under Dyer Carlisle years ago.

So I don't know if my opinion has been stated by someone before, but I see the Tannehill argument in 2 different ways.

As for right now with a few weeks until the season, Im excited to see Tannehill this year. Don't forget that Tannehill has played 13 games under Gase, in which he is 9-4 (Started 1-3). I pray he stays healthy this year. Whether he is great or terrible, I just hope we finally see what we get. If we do, I really don't anticipate it being terrible.

With that being said, Tannehill is 30 and has 2 years left of his deal (including this year). In 2 seasons, we will have to decide whether to pay a 32 year old Tannehill. I am okay with keeping him around if his play justifies it, but I would also like to have a young prospect in here to compete with Tannehill and set the bar for paying him big money. Make him earn it at 32 years old (That's not a bad thing, that's just real competition).

We are going to have to take a long look at the QB's in this draft. I could also see us waiting 1 more year and taking one in 2020 when the class is loaded.

I am rooting like all hell for Tannehill because I love the Dolphins, and if he earns it I could see him turning into a Rivers/Stafford tiered guy. But I also think we need to have someone in place just in case.

The Jets don't look like a bad football team, but then again they didn't look like a bad football team going into 2017, either. They just sort of turned out that way.

They are already better just by moving buster skrine back to the slot where he belongs. A lesson we are gonna have to learn with Bobby mccain.

I still don’t think they have anything on the edge pass rush wise to fear which has been a real hole in their d for a long time now.

Titans get after you with scheme on the pass rush more than individual talent although Harold Landry is gonna be the primary sub package rusher. He’s not very good at the poa but he’s got edge rush tools

Slimm,

Bay City good football program. I played for SA Lee during 70s. from '65-'77 we were 2nd only to Permian in wins, with 2 state chpionships, another state Finalist and i think 4 semifinalists in the top class.

We were first team in (world :) ) history to play indoors (astrodome) vs Smiley. great time to be a kid!

Good observation.

The aperture in athleticism between offensive lineman and pass rushers have gotten wider. We've reached a point where pass rushers are often the most athletic guys on the field - overtaking DB's. These kids are absolute freaks coming out of high school now.

As a coach, you have to offset it with personnel packages in my opinion. You're not going to just find 5 guys along the offensive line who can hold up to that game in and game out.

Like when the Broncos beat the Patriots to go to the Super Bowl everyone was all 'oh look, Brady doesn't look too hot when his o-line sucks too.' It wasn't so much his o-line sucking as it was Von Miller being dominant.

Still my favorite article when talking about bad OLs and their effect on QBs:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/13776027/the-day-buried-patriots-qb-tom-brady-nfl

A quarterback running for his life behind a dreadful offensive line might struggle to hit open receivers, but if he points this out in a less-than-artful way, no matter how accurate he might be, he'll be forced to swim through an ocean of criticism regarding his leadership just to make it to Sunday.

This article from the 2014 sums up nicely the improvements to the Patriots OL in 2014 that led to Brady's "resurgence". (Unfortunately it is behind a pay wall. It wasn't when I originally read it).

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/...torm-nicely/Z2gHxTVWr975NdJKBa48nK/story.html

Back
Top Bottom