Greg Gabriel: Why Jack Conklin is the most underrated 2016 NFL Draft prospect | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Greg Gabriel: Why Jack Conklin is the most underrated 2016 NFL Draft prospect

I was shocked when Tunsil described himself as a finesse player on NFL Network. I can't remember that from an offensive lineman.

Regardless of the numbers, I would be discouraged if we drafted Conklin. He doesn't look like a special athlete to me, whether it's on the field or during his test drills. His head was bobbing all over the place like a kid simply trying harder than anyone else.

I'm reminded of the Clemson vs. Miami game last fall. The outcome seemed obvious more than a half hour before kickoff, when both teams ran onto the field for pregame drills. The gap in frames and basic athletic ability was startling. I was talking about it with the guys seated next to me. I wouldn't have forecast 58-0 but I was certainly content with my wager on Clemson -7.5. Canes fans have some clueless idea that it's all been a coaching gap. Laughable. There was no comparison in the look of those two rosters. One Clemson receiver mauled Artie Burns and flattened him on his butt.

The Dolphins have had the same issue to lesser degree. Our second and third teamers were a farce in preseason last year. IMO, adding someone like Jack Conklin is just another in a long line of uninspired moves, like patching a 29 year old venue. Conklin wasn't rated anywhere near Ronnie Stanley or Laremy Tunsil a year ago at this time. We thought Dion Jordan was a special athlete, despite a flood of evidence that he had flunked every meaningful metric measure, and simply lacked explosiveness. Decades ago scouts were allowed to mistake a big guy gliding alongside another big and undeniably talented guy as indicative of superior athletic ability. Now we have tools to reject that ignorance. Unfortunately Jeff Ireland and apparently everyone else in the organization was wonderfully clueless, or in denial. Yet I read recent articles touting our long term scouts as excellent. Not exactly confidence inspiring.

I would take Nkemdiche. He would be a first step in altering how the Dolphins look when jogging out onto that field. As always I'm willing to gamble. It seems like the league was determined to push Nkemdiche down and down the board, perhaps into the second round, but now there is some opposition. In Las Vegas that late opposition is normally the smart money. I always hate it when I have a bet that is consensus the right side all week and then the late cash moves against me. The Dolphins should be wise enough to be on the front end of the opposition instead of allowing a team 6 or 8 slots below us to gobble a rare athletic bargain.

I was shocked when Tunsil described himself as a finesse player on NFL Network. I can't remember that from an offensive lineman.

Regardless of the numbers, I would be discouraged if we drafted Conklin. He doesn't look like a special athlete to me, whether it's on the field or during his test drills. His head was bobbing all over the place like a kid simply trying harder than anyone else.

I'm reminded of the Clemson vs. Miami game last fall. The outcome seemed obvious more than a half hour before kickoff, when both teams ran onto the field for pregame drills. The gap in frames and basic athletic ability was startling. I was talking about it with the guys seated next to me. I wouldn't have forecast 58-0 but I was certainly content with my wager on Clemson -7.5. Canes fans have some clueless idea that it's all been a coaching gap. Laughable. There was no comparison in the look of those two rosters. One Clemson receiver mauled Artie Burns and flattened him on his butt.

The Dolphins have had the same issue to lesser degree. Our second and third teamers were a farce in preseason last year. IMO, adding someone like Jack Conklin is just another in a long line of uninspired moves, like patching a 29 year old venue. Conklin wasn't rated anywhere near Ronnie Stanley or Laremy Tunsil a year ago at this time. We thought Dion Jordan was a special athlete, despite a flood of evidence that he had flunked every meaningful metric measure, and simply lacked explosiveness. Decades ago scouts were allowed to mistake a big guy gliding alongside another big and undeniably talented guy as indicative of superior athletic ability. Now we have tools to reject that ignorance. Unfortunately Jeff Ireland and apparently everyone else in the organization was wonderfully clueless, or in denial. Yet I read recent articles touting our long term scouts as excellent. Not exactly confidence inspiring.

I would take Nkemdiche. He would be a first step in altering how the Dolphins look when jogging out onto that field. As always I'm willing to gamble. It seems like the league was determined to push Nkemdiche down and down the board, perhaps into the second round, but now there is some opposition. In Las Vegas that late opposition is normally the smart money. I always hate it when I have a bet that is consensus the right side all week and then the late cash moves against me. The Dolphins should be wise enough to be on the front end of the opposition instead of allowing a team 6 or 8 slots below us to gobble a rare athletic bargain.

As always I'm for picking Nkemdiche, imo a wise gamble on greatness. I think that the off field issues are overblown and his talent is overwhelming. Jumbo 4/3 DE who moves in next to Suh at DE on passing downs, good luck double teaming both of them, and good luck Tom Brady with that interior pass rush. The guy is just a stellar athlete who could make a huge impact.

As to Conklin I simply disagree, jmo as always. I see a much better athlete and a determined warrior who would bring some force to the OL. After Tunsil he's the most complete OT in the draft imo, short term Guard/long term Tackle. That being said, Nkemdiche makes the most sense imo, the second most talented player in the draft after Ramsey, and I still have a sneaking suspicion that he'll be the pick. A wise gamble on greatness, a difference maker and a player loaded with talent for a roster that desperately needs more of it.

Back
Top Bottom