Greg Schiano proposed a rule change to eliminate kickoffs. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Greg Schiano proposed a rule change to eliminate kickoffs.

PolitePolite

Practice Squad
Reaction score
[h=5]This Greg Schiano is a buffoon. He just proposed a rule change that would eliminate kickoffs. Once a team scores, they would get the ball back at their own 30. It would be 4th and 15, and they would have option to either try to get the 1st down, or punt it away to the other team. First the QB kneels, and now this. Can't stand this douche. [/h]
Here is the link if you guys want to read more.
http://nfl.si.com/2012/12/06/roger-...etting-the-chiefs-play-possible-rule-changes/

I don't care for it either. However, we'd probably have a better chance of pinning a team inside the 10 with fields than we do with carpenter.

So with this rule 1 team could potentially have the ball the ENTIRE GAME.

Greg is not the 1st to propose it...this was on the table last year at the owners meetings, as was eliminating hits on qbs completely...

like it or not, the NFL is going to start changing more rules to keep the players saferish, and they will not stop until the owners stop making money. but yeah they talked about this, at least paid it lip service last year

That drastic of a change isn't all that likely but I could see something coming that will try to put a buffer on the speed at which these guys are coming at one another on kickoffs.

Once "make it, take it" is in place, then we can start playing half court football, which will save on maintenance costs.

Interesting. Not saying I like it, but its interesting to say the least. So if a team is down by 10, they get a TD, instead of hoping for an onside kick, they would just have to convert a 4th and 15 and get a new set of downs.

So with this rule 1 team could potentially have the ball the ENTIRE GAME.

technically, you could potentially have the ball the entire game with the current rules in place. Just keep kicking onside kicks and recovering them.

I can understand player safety, but not to this extent. To change the way the game is played for safety isn't the right approach IMO. The players understand the risks involved. If they don't want to have these issues later in life, they have the option to quit. For we see UFC instituting rules to make their sport safer? I'm sure getting punched in the face repeatedly is a lot more harmful than football.

He has first hand knowledge of the dangers of kick returns with Eric Legrand. However, there is serious danger in every play. Somebody is going to get killed at some point... What do we do about that? Quit playing the game? The players know or at least should know that they face serious injury or death everytime the ball is snapped. Most are paid a lot of money and all have the option to not play. I agree the game should be made as safe as possible, but there is soon coming a time where the known risks are apart of it due to the compensation they recieve. With that said, as long as the money keeps flying in the have no reason to do anything other than make the game as safe as possible.

I agree the game should be made as safe as possible, but there is soon coming a time where the known risks are apart of it due to the compensation they recieve. With that said, as long as the money keeps flying in the have no reason to do anything other than make the game as safe as possible.

I'd argue that when it comes to concussions the real goal should be to effect the game on all levels, with the professionals leading the way. There are a lot of kids smacking their heads together at 20 mph without the medical plan that covers them long after retirement.

Once "make it, take it" is in place, then we can start playing half court football, which will save on maintenance costs.

Exactly Schiano is trying to make this into some street ball "winner's outs" style that you see on the black top. Worst idea relating to kickoffs EVER.

This is stupid, some of the most electric game changes plays come from kick offs. Without kicks offs theres no way we win that MFN against the Jets. Or no way the Saints get momemtum on their side during the onside kick in the SB

Back
Top Bottom