Gregory Rousseau vs. Penei Sewell šŸ‘€

DPhinz_DPhinz

I cash reality checks....
ā˜ ļø Banned ā˜ ļø
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
It's only one play, but still...

Sewell became entirely overrated from the moment he decided not to play in 2020 and enter the draft. From that point on his legend just grew out of draftnik fanboys. The further removed from the field he became, the better he got. I believe generational talent was the word I often heardā€¦

However, the facts were that he had no experience in vertical pass sets and had no real body count to speak of on his extremely short resume. I argued these points in the draft forum the better part of 8 months. I liked the Radunz kid out of North Dakota St. better.

How about give Rousseau some credit ?

He is gonna be better than you said he would be

Well I donā€™t know about that. Weā€™ll see. Actually what Iā€™d say is he wonā€™t be as good as you said he would be.

Just breaking down that one rep - Sewell was late with his hands and didnā€™t even try to punch until after heā€™d already allowed Rousseau to make first contact. Strike one.

In doing so, he also immediately gave up his chest and allowed the defender to place his hands inside instead of vice versa. With Sewellā€™s hands on the outside, the best he couldā€™ve done there was hold and draw a flag. Strike two.

Lastly, all Rousseau really did was bull rush him. The only move I told you he had to begin with. Sewell allowed him to transition to the long arm in order to get around him because he was so off balance by that point. Again, it just goes back to Sewellā€™s inexperience with true vertical pass sets.

Had Rousseau shown something on the play that I hadnā€™t already said he was capable of against an overrated tackle, Iā€™d probably be more inclined to go down the road you wish to take it down. I just donā€™t believe that to be the case here.

My view is that this particular rep illustrates my initial concerns with Sewell more than any indication of a misevaluation with regards to Rousseau.

Although it wouldnā€™t surprise me to see him rack up 3 or 4 sacks a game against whatever stiff the dolphins end up lining up at right tackle. Iā€™d say you probably have that to look forward to at minimum as a proponent of Rousseau. šŸ¤£

He got pigeonholed as just guy who could move inside and get a sack

He's much more than that is all i'm saying

Maybe, I doubt it. It certainly wasnā€™t indicated on his one season of college tape. Iā€™ve seen it all and I somewhat know what Iā€™m looking at. But Iā€™m always willing to learn more.

Another $100 bill should do the trick if youā€™re up for it. You seem pretty confident. Iā€™m always willing to bet on myself.

Actually as Iā€™m sitting here looking closer at this game, Carlos Basham (1st round player on my board) was lining up inside a lot and blowing by the Lions right tackle on stunts like he wasnā€™t even there. Good player.

Honestly, Sewell is a guard playing tackle in my opinion. Heā€™s always been a guard until he got to Oregon. He was 350 pounds in high school.

Iā€™ve always expected Sewell to struggle at tackle in the NFL. I donā€™t think itā€™s a mirage.

He may have been a generational talent according to the local sportswriters for a program like Oregon. Not a generational talent for any program. Heā€™s not Chris Samuels or Evan Neal. But Iā€™ve spoken these words around here for a long time and never even so much as made a dent in the narrative. Onward we go.

So what you are saying is

1. Miami did good getting Waddle over Sewell

2. Miami got the better pass rusher in Phillips over Rosseau

Honestly, Sewell is a guard playing tackle in my opinion. Heā€™s always been a guard until he got to Oregon. He was 350 pounds in high school.

Iā€™ve always expected Sewell to struggle at tackle in the NFL. I donā€™t think itā€™s a mirage.

He may have been a generational talent according to the local sportswriters for a program like Oregon. Not a generational talent for any program. Heā€™s not Chris Samuels or Evan Neal. But Iā€™ve spoken these words around here for a long time and never even so much as made a dent in the narrative. Onward we go.

As I recall, he got a lot of hype here in Utah as the next big thing (figuratively & literally). I did not understand then & don't now

Not to slight the University of Nike, but, Utah & Byu do a better job at churning out next level OL

I'm not made about not drafting Sewell, but Austin Jackson definitely has worse game tape from today.

Sewell looks big and fat but doesn't have any anchor and doesn't seem to have any mass when he hits people. Half-as-big Steelers linebackers were blowing him up, not just Greg Rousseau. Eichenberg looked far better at RT.

Back
Top Bottom