Gruden on Tannehill & thoughts on Philbin from Gannon/Sharpe | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Gruden on Tannehill & thoughts on Philbin from Gannon/Sharpe

phinatic1399

Diehard Phinatic!
Reaction score
GRUDEN ON TANNEHILL
Spoke to ESPN’s Jon Gruden on a conference call Thursday, and he is particularly interested to see how Ryan Tannehill closes games this season.
At Texas A&M, “The body of work [just 19 starts at quarterback] did concern me,” Gruden said. “You’d like to see a three-year starter. You would like to see a quarterback that finished games better. You would like to see a quarterback that dominates in the third and fourth quarter.
“They dropped plenty of passes, but I would like to see more dominant, consistent play down the stretch. The Arkansas game sticks out to me. I think they had opportunities to finish some off in the second half and didn’t quite do that. That’s the big concern I had with Tannehill.”
But because of his familiarity with the Dolphins’ offense, “he’s further along than a lot of kids that came along,” Gruden said. “He’s on the fast track. He impressed me because he’s such a great athlete.”
HARD KNOCKS REACTION
CBS’ Dan Dierdorf was watching HBO’s Hard Knocks a couple weeks ago when Dolphins offensive coordinator Mike Sherman lambasted tight ends Michael Egnew and Charles Clay in front of teammates.
“My wife turned to me and said, ‘Do coaches really talk to players like that?’” Dierdorf relayed, by phone. “I said, ‘Every day.’ It’s one thing if that happens in the meeting room and the only people that see it are the coaches and the players. But when it’s on national television, it’s embarrassing.
“You couldn’t get me within 10 miles of Hard Knocks if I were a coach. I’m sorry. That’s not conducive to building a team. I’m a believer in: What you see here and what you do here – let it stay here.”
Players obviously aren’t happy about being subjected to scathing criticism on Hard Knocks, but no Dolphins player has complained publicly.
“Who knows if it’s a scar that doesn’t heal?” Jimmy Johnson asked of players being lit into by coaches on national TV. “I would not have done Hard Knocks.”
Said CBS’ Rich Gannon: “Would Sherman want to have that out there? No. The kid [Egnew] has to answer to his parents. It’s not an ideal situation. But you get what you signed up for.”
Said Gruden: “Personnel conversations, what goes on in the practice field is nobody’s business. It’s tremendously entertaining, but it’s not for me.”
Meanwhile, what kind of impression is coach Joe Philbin making on viewers?
Johnson declined to answer that, but Dierdorf said, “What I see is promising. He doesn’t look like he rides the emotional rollercoaster.”
Said Gannon: “I’m really impressed. He’s a steadying, calming influence. He’s not a guy that’s going to overreact.”
But CBS’ Shannon Sharpe took issue with how Philbin handled Chad Johnson’s release. “He was saying, ‘It’s just not working out,’” Sharpe said off the air. “I’m still not sure he was cut!
“Philbin seemed very fidgety, very uncomfortable, with that aspect of the job. Some coaches are better than others with that. I don’t know if he was afraid that Chad might do something to him.”
Sharpe said when Baltimore released him, general manager Ozzie Newsome did it in a more straight-forward way, and Sharpe appreciated that. “He said, ‘We drafted Todd Heap. We’re moving in another direction. We will release you tomorrow.’”
Philbin was more to-the-point when he scolded Daniel Thomas for tardiness on Tuesday’s episode.

Wow....coaches talk harshly to players...who knew?

Um, telling Chad he was being cut and and why isnt straightforward enough Shannon? Perhaps he should have written on a dry erase board.. "Chad, we are releasing you, here is why.. 1. 2. 3."

Everyone has an opinion........ It all comes down to W's and L's, If we win, Philbin is a genious. If we Lose Philbin (Insert crticism)

Egnew need be less concerned about how he looks in a meeting and more concerned with stepping up to his drafted spot. He has sucked so far and isn't doing anything to make this team. Of course it's embarrasing but as a player you need to be able to put distractions out of your mind and focus on what's important. And what's important for him is stepping up and making this team. He probably has a slot locked up as the 3rd rounder, but that won't last more than a year. This coaching staff has been around championship caliber teams and won't settle for mediocre players with mental lapses and no confidence.

Old mush mouth trying to keep himself in the lime light. boogity boogity, flappity flappity flap..........what did he just say?

Our coach will get the players he wants, eventually. This is NOT Philbins team. But it will be in time. Then we will know.

Concerning Chad Johnson: Yes, Shannon, anyone would have to be utterly dense to not recognize that Chad is emotionally unstable and rides his feelings very tightly. The guy struck me as being bi-polar... and the gig in Miami seemed like it might be very important to him... almost sentimental. Johnson took it surprisingly well when he was released.

Concerning Chad Johnson: Yes, Shannon, anyone would have to be utterly dense to not recognize that Chad is emotionally unstable and rides his feelings very tightly. The guy struck me as being bi-polar... and the gig in Miami seemed like it might be very important to him... almost sentimental. Johnson took it surprisingly well when he was released.

Exactly what I ws thinking Philbin was wondering which Chad he would be speaking to

It's one thing to embarrass a player.. it is another thing entirely to rip a player when he DESERVES it.. Egnew deserved it. In that case Sherman was speaking the truth, albeit in a brutal way. Criticism is a motivational tool... You want to see how the player responds... Does he go in his shell? or does he get angry and try to shut the coach up by trying harder or getting better..

Do JJ, Gruden, Gannon or Dierdorf actually think people don't know this?

Football coaches are notorious for screaming until they are hoarse... But when you scream all day people just tune you out.. Personally I like Philbin's approach... the quiet expectations... When Philbin goes off, believe me the team will take notice... it is a good approach.

Concerning Gruden talking about the limited number of starts Tannehill had in college..

I think Cam Newton only had about 20?

I agree about the embarrassment factor. And I also don't think that show is good for team building. To me this was a PR move done to create hype and sell tickets. In the end, it won't help in that regard and I imagine some players will be left with a chip on their shoulders about being embarrassed on national TV. From a pure football perspective, being on that show is a dumb move.

I think it is very unfair to be judging people from how they behave with a camera shoved in their face. Philbin's first reaction to Hard Knocks was his honest one and he later changed his view on it to tow the company line. Some people (me included) are uncomfortable being filmed and I can only imagine how it feels to have to do your job while being recorded (firing someone on camera?!). I did not like the idea of Hard Knocks from day one and I honestly think my fears have been played out over the last few weeks. Silly decision by Ross.

For some reason, I"m not surprised Sharpe sticking up for Ocho. Forget that HK also showed him being owned by Smith in TC, embarrassing the franchise in pressers and being disruptive in meetings where he didn't even belong. As Philbin inferred, wife battery is only the tip of the iceberg. Wonder what Sharpe would have said if it was another more seasoned coach like say, Marvin Lewis who handled Ocho the same way. :idk:

Back
Top Bottom