Gruden on Tannehill & thoughts on Philbin from Gannon/Sharpe

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by phinatic1399, Aug 31, 2012.

1. phinatic1399

phinatic1399 Diehard Phinatic!

GRUDEN ON TANNEHILL
    Spoke to ESPN’s Jon Gruden on a conference call Thursday, and he is particularly interested to see how Ryan Tannehill closes games this season.
    At Texas A&M, “The body of work [just 19 starts at quarterback] did concern me,” Gruden said. “You’d like to see a three-year starter. You would like to see a quarterback that finished games better. You would like to see a quarterback that dominates in the third and fourth quarter.
    “They dropped plenty of passes, but I would like to see more dominant, consistent play down the stretch. The Arkansas game sticks out to me. I think they had opportunities to finish some off in the second half and didn’t quite do that. That’s the big concern I had with Tannehill.”
    But because of his familiarity with the Dolphins’ offense, “he’s further along than a lot of kids that came along,” Gruden said. “He’s on the fast track. He impressed me because he’s such a great athlete.”
    HARD KNOCKS REACTION
    CBS’ Dan Dierdorf was watching HBO’s Hard Knocks a couple weeks ago when Dolphins offensive coordinator Mike Sherman lambasted tight ends Michael Egnew and Charles Clay in front of teammates.
    “My wife turned to me and said, ‘Do coaches really talk to players like that?’” Dierdorf relayed, by phone. “I said, ‘Every day.’ It’s one thing if that happens in the meeting room and the only people that see it are the coaches and the players. But when it’s on national television, it’s embarrassing.
    “You couldn’t get me within 10 miles of Hard Knocks if I were a coach. I’m sorry. That’s not conducive to building a team. I’m a believer in: What you see here and what you do here – let it stay here.”
    Players obviously aren’t happy about being subjected to scathing criticism on Hard Knocks, but no Dolphins player has complained publicly.
    “Who knows if it’s a scar that doesn’t heal?” Jimmy Johnson asked of players being lit into by coaches on national TV. “I would not have done Hard Knocks.”
    Said CBS’ Rich Gannon: “Would Sherman want to have that out there? No. The kid [Egnew] has to answer to his parents. It’s not an ideal situation. But you get what you signed up for.”
    Said Gruden: “Personnel conversations, what goes on in the practice field is nobody’s business. It’s tremendously entertaining, but it’s not for me.”
    Meanwhile, what kind of impression is coach Joe Philbin making on viewers?
    Johnson declined to answer that, but Dierdorf said, “What I see is promising. He doesn’t look like he rides the emotional rollercoaster.”
    Said Gannon: “I’m really impressed. He’s a steadying, calming influence. He’s not a guy that’s going to overreact.”
    But CBS’ Shannon Sharpe took issue with how Philbin handled Chad Johnson’s release. “He was saying, ‘It’s just not working out,’” Sharpe said off the air. “I’m still not sure he was cut!
    “Philbin seemed very fidgety, very uncomfortable, with that aspect of the job. Some coaches are better than others with that. I don’t know if he was afraid that Chad might do something to him.”
    Sharpe said when Baltimore released him, general manager Ozzie Newsome did it in a more straight-forward way, and Sharpe appreciated that. “He said, ‘We drafted Todd Heap. We’re moving in another direction. We will release you tomorrow.’”
    Philbin was more to-the-point when he scolded Daniel Thomas for tardiness on Tuesday’s episode.

2. Namor

Namor Pro Bowler Finheaven VIP

Wow....coaches talk harshly to players...who knew?

3. dolpns13

dolpns13 Chest Rockwell is my hero Donator

Um, telling Chad he was being cut and and why isnt straightforward enough Shannon? Perhaps he should have written on a dry erase board.. "Chad, we are releasing you, here is why.. 1. 2. 3."

4. Chubby

Chubby SUPERFAN

Everyone has an opinion........ It all comes down to W's and L's, If we win, Philbin is a genious. If we Lose Philbin (Insert crticism)

5. Themajster

Themajster NYC FIN FAN

Egnew need be less concerned about how he looks in a meeting and more concerned with stepping up to his drafted spot. He has sucked so far and isn't doing anything to make this team. Of course it's embarrasing but as a player you need to be able to put distractions out of your mind and focus on what's important. And what's important for him is stepping up and making this team. He probably has a slot locked up as the 3rd rounder, but that won't last more than a year. This coaching staff has been around championship caliber teams and won't settle for mediocre players with mental lapses and no confidence.

6. RockyMtnPhinfan

RockyMtnPhinfan A True Fan Donator

Old mush mouth trying to keep himself in the lime light. boogity boogity, flappity flappity flap..........what did he just say?

Our coach will get the players he wants, eventually. This is NOT Philbins team. But it will be in time. Then we will know.

7. FishTank

FishTank Well-Known Member

Concerning Chad Johnson: Yes, Shannon, anyone would have to be utterly dense to not recognize that Chad is emotionally unstable and rides his feelings very tightly. The guy struck me as being bi-polar... and the gig in Miami seemed like it might be very important to him... almost sentimental. Johnson took it surprisingly well when he was released.

8. Wildbill3

Wildbill3 Misery Loves Company Administrator Finheaven VIP Donator

lol Op is a piller of postivity today.

9. rev kev

rev kev THE DEFLATOR

Exactly what I ws thinking Philbin was wondering which Chad he would be speaking to

10. Fish-Head

Fish-Head U made the pudding but forgot the proof.

It's one thing to embarrass a player.. it is another thing entirely to rip a player when he DESERVES it.. Egnew deserved it. In that case Sherman was speaking the truth, albeit in a brutal way. Criticism is a motivational tool... You want to see how the player responds... Does he go in his shell? or does he get angry and try to shut the coach up by trying harder or getting better..

Do JJ, Gruden, Gannon or Dierdorf actually think people don't know this?

Football coaches are notorious for screaming until they are hoarse... But when you scream all day people just tune you out.. Personally I like Philbin's approach... the quiet expectations... When Philbin goes off, believe me the team will take notice... it is a good approach.

11. floriokie

floriokie Active Member

Concerning Gruden talking about the limited number of starts Tannehill had in college..

I think Cam Newton only had about 20?

12. natesdad

natesdad Member

I agree about the embarrassment factor. And I also don't think that show is good for team building. To me this was a PR move done to create hype and sell tickets. In the end, it won't help in that regard and I imagine some players will be left with a chip on their shoulders about being embarrassed on national TV. From a pure football perspective, being on that show is a dumb move.

13. ryanosaur2000

ryanosaur2000 A True Fan Donator

I think it is very unfair to be judging people from how they behave with a camera shoved in their face. Philbin's first reaction to Hard Knocks was his honest one and he later changed his view on it to tow the company line. Some people (me included) are uncomfortable being filmed and I can only imagine how it feels to have to do your job while being recorded (firing someone on camera?!). I did not like the idea of Hard Knocks from day one and I honestly think my fears have been played out over the last few weeks. Silly decision by Ross.

14. jcork_NJ

jcork_NJ Scout Team

Gruden's a creep.

15. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

For some reason, I"m not surprised Sharpe sticking up for Ocho. Forget that HK also showed him being owned by Smith in TC, embarrassing the franchise in pressers and being disruptive in meetings where he didn't even belong. As Philbin inferred, wife battery is only the tip of the iceberg. Wonder what Sharpe would have said if it was another more seasoned coach like say, Marvin Lewis who handled Ocho the same way. :idk:

16. Sarnics13

Sarnics13 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Why is everyone so stuck on how non-mouthy Philbin is? A previous poster said it best, when you just yell and scream all the time the affect is diminished. Philbin doesn't do it through his mouth, he does it in action. He tells you what needs to be done calmly, and if you don't do it he shows the others that he means business when he talks and puts you to the street. That to me will speak volumes to the other players more than screaming all the time. You better listen or you're getting a ride out of the building.........for good!!

I like it better than a coach that is showing how loud and abrasive he can be. Walk softly and carry a big stick.

17. Buddy

Buddy Right Wing Nut Job Moderator Finheaven VIP

I think that Philbin looks a lot more comfortable each week in controlling the team and taking to players. He is new at this and is growing just like everyone else. I like him more and more every day! I know we are up in the air at wr but i really believe we are going to be alright as a team.

18. NRA

NRA Roll Gypsy Roll

although i DESPISE shannon sharpe, he was never a locker room cancer and was a consumate pro who still had game when he retired.

he was a mouth, but a mouth that could back it up, a mouth at opposing teams and players, not coaches and his team mates and media like homey the clown. sharpe has more talent in his left nut than homey the clown had in his whole body!

of course ozzy was staraight forward and easy with him. sharpe was great team mate and a pro's pro. he was respected and a mature player.

homey the clown was a polar opposite. more mouth than game. always taunting coaches and the comisioner. always the big clown getting attention for himself and was ANYTHING but a consumate pro. he was a good wr for about his first three years but he stunted his own growth by thinking he had arrived, was a hall of famer and there was no more to learn. more time in strip club than in the film room.

sharpe hadnt been run off from two teams in two years when he came to the ravens. homey the clown was. and the coaches told him he was there because they were somewhat desperate for a wr and he had a VERY short leash. 3 strikes is what they told him and it didnt matter what those strikes were. he was told, but as usual, didnt get it. ignored it. took advantage of the finz need and thought he would own the joint and they would never cut him. he found out real quick how serious philbin is about winning and having players with winning attitudes and team FIRST attitudes.

sharpe didnt have those issues.

it was nothing personal. and i thought philbin did a great job of letting him know that and they were just not a fit. htc sealed that deal when he blew philbin off when he took him to task over the profane interview he gave on PUBLIC RADIO!! said, oh well, thats just me being me and left coach standing.

htc is not a new rookie, a promising guy who was popular right away with the team and made an infraction and got tossed. i could see some backlash. htc is a 10 year vet that had pulling this crap for years, run from two other teams and was told, straight up that his previous antics wouldnt be tolerated. no coach was going to help him. no super player leadership group was going to turn htc around. he had players and coaches on the bengals and patriots [who are full of REAL leaders] who couldnt get to him so jake and bush and carlos dumsby were going to save him? really?

see anyone from the bengals or pats bashing there coaches for not keeping htc? nope! they were all glad he was gone.

now i am going to go watch that episode on hard knocks for the 3rd time today, to watch htc get the boot. i LOVE that. i love the look on htc's face when he gets the boot. i can watch it a thousand times. i just wished they could have filmed him bawling, which you know he did as he was holding it back during his exit interview. that would have been the icing.

we needed a wr in the worst way, but i never wanted homey the clown here anyways, not for anything! he is the DIVA poster boy. all he did when he got in the games here was drop everything thrown at him. and he was the answer?

buh-by!!

buh bye!! homey the clown isnt a champion and never will be. philbin is building a winner here.

"afraid chad might do something to him"? i doubt that. i think i read somwhere that philbin is a life long marshall artist and if thats so, he would have had homey the clown bobbing for jock straps in the cold tub!!